Air conditioner units

Spaniel

In the next few weeks I plan to purchase two a/c unites (18,000 & 24,000 btu)  for our house in Bangkok.   We have looked at several, Daiken, Carrier and Mitsubishi.    Carrier is the cheapest.    Any suggestions as to which of these is the best buy?

Carrier has the best warranty and is significantly cheaper. 

I have three older Carriers, one cassette & two wall units. All conventional, no problems with any of them.  

I have one new Carrier inverter and it’s great, much quieter than the conventional. 

I also have an old Mitsubishi and a old York, they’ve both been good. 

If I were buying a new unit today, I would buy a new inverter cassette model, probably Carrier. 

If you own the house, regardless of what brand you go with, the cassette units are absolutely worth the extra money. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mogandave said:

Carrier has the best warranty and is significantly cheaper. 

I have three older Carriers, one cassette & two wall units. All conventional, no problems with any of them.  

I have one new Carrier inverter and it’s great, much quieter than the conventional. 

I also have an old Mitsubishi and a old York, they’ve both been good. 

If I were buying a new unit today, I would buy a new inverter cassette model, probably Carrier. 

If you own the house, regardless of what brand you go with, the cassette units are absolutely worth the extra money. 

I agree with cassette units work the best but the going to the ceiling to change air filters regularly doesn't seem very practical, If you put on the wall near ceiling you the same effect I think and the cassette unit is normally double price i not think is the best solution but everyone have to make the choice him like

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

I agree with cassette units work the best but the going to the ceiling to change air filters regularly doesn't seem very practical, If you put on the wall near ceiling you the same effect I think and the cassette unit is normally double price i not think is the best solution but everyone have to make the choice him like

Removing the filter on a cassette unit is not really any more difficult than a wall unit. I use the same step stool for both.

It is worth noting that the cassette units typically have a bigger filter, and the filters are generally pleated making them much more effective than the filters in wall units, and allow for less frequent cleaning.

Cassette units typically use prop-fans rather than wheel-type fans, and the fan is oriented such that the fan never gets wet making them cleaner, quieter, lower maintenance, and (again) more efficient. 

The way the cassette units draw the warm air from the center of the ceiling and direct the cool air to any or all areas of the room is also much more effective, particularly in larger rooms.

Finally, cassette units pump the condensate out rather than depending on gravity, so the can be located most anywhere and the drains do not plug up. 

They do cost about 60-70% more, but in my opinion, if you own your home and plan to be there long-term they are well worth the money. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.     Wife and I have been shopping the past week and we have decided on two Diken units from Home Pro.    After assorted discounts here is the final price.

18,000 btu       B 27,790

24,000 btu         43,247

Total            B   71,037

Carrier price   B 61,080

Mitsuvish       B  78.616

2 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.     Wife and I have been shopping the past week and we have decided on two Diken units from Home Pro.    After assorted discounts here is the final price.

Carrier price   B 61,080

Daikin is good product and HomePro service can be good, just make sure you get a morning appointment, and be prepared to watch the work and make them change anything you don’t like. HomePro will call you and make sure you’re happy and the crews know this.

For a good price comparison of different  brands and models the “Modern Air” website is great. 

18 hours ago, mogandave said:

What model/type do you have and how old is it? Mine does not seem noisy.

heavy duty and the other make mr slim, would not have them in bedrooms again, few years old but always been noisy. The heavy duty one is worse and have had it looked at by Mitsu workers.

15 hours ago, RideJocky said:

Daikin is good product and HomePro service can be good, just make sure you get a morning appointment, and be prepared to watch the work and make them change anything you don’t like. HomePro will call you and make sure you’re happy and the crews know this.

For a good price comparison of different  brands and models the “Modern Air” website is great. 

Couple of years ago we had the Mitsubishi engineers come to look at our units, first thing he said was who put these in- HOME PRO! Installed far to high to the ceiling making it impossible to clean easily, they took it apart and outside to do it properly. Also home pro told us we could pay the install charge to the guys who did it and it might be a bit cheaper- they wanted twice the cost when they turned up meaning a prolonged argument.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Spaniel said:

Carrier price   B 61,080

From the price you paid I hope the external unit has a copper coil, if instead it is aluminium with the new cooling liquid for the "protection of the environment" it will only last you two years.

23 hours ago, Spaniel said:

After assorted discounts here is the final price.

Can you tell us which actual model no. that is for that price as they have I think 5 different inverter models plus standard?

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Couple of years ago we had the Mitsubishi engineers come to look at our units, first thing he said was who put these in- HOME PRO! Installed far to high to the ceiling making it impossible to clean easily, they took it apart and outside to do it properly. Also home pro told us we could pay the install charge to the guys who did it and it might be a bit cheaper- they wanted twice the cost when they turned up meaning a prolonged argument.

That was not my experience with HomePro on things I have had them do. 

That said, I never used them for AC.

We always paid HopePro for the service at the same time we paid for the products. Sometimes there is an up-charge, but these are all clearly noted on the website. 

As I understand it, higher is better for the evaporator unit. 

8 hours ago, Beggar said:

I have 2 now older Daikins. Sadly all the white plastic got brown/yellow. At the remote controls the same and the LCD display hardly can be recognized anymore. I have seen and used many aircons but never saw anything like this. 

You’ve never seen white plastic turn yellow and LCD screens fade? How old are they? It’s worth noting that manufacturers Typically recommended mounting the condenser units out of the sun. 

My new-er Carrier unit has a nice painted steel housing, the older ones were plastic and discovered. 

S aside from the cosmetics, have they been good units? 

3 hours ago, RideJocky said:

You’ve never seen white plastic turn yellow and LCD screens fade? How old are they? It’s worth noting that manufacturers Typically recommended mounting the condenser units out of the sun. 

My new-er Carrier unit has a nice painted steel housing, the older ones were plastic and discovered. 

S aside from the cosmetics, have they been good units? 

I am not talking about the condenser. I am talking about the inside units. And they are not in the sun. And my windows have additional UV blocking. And also the remote controls turned yellow. In respect of the LCDs - simply seems to be bad quality. In respect of other problems. Let my summarize it. My next aircons will be not Daikin.

Edited by Beggar

4 hours ago, Beggar said:

I am not talking about the condenser. I am talking about the inside units. And they are not in the sun. And my windows have additional UV blocking. And also the remote controls turned yellow. In respect of the LCDs - simply seems to be bad quality. In respect of other problems. Let my summarize it. My next aircons will be not Daikin.

I have an 18 years old York wall unit that turned yellow, used to have two but one got torn up when I moved.

Neither ever had an issue 

Edited by mogandave
Added text

On 12/19/2019 at 3:39 PM, topt said:

Can you tell us which actual model no. that is for that price as they have I think 5 different inverter models plus standard?

18,000      ATKC18TV2S

24,000      ATKC24TV2S

s

• Thanks 1

I have decided to replace 2 x 18,000 BTU Daikin units in my Condo, and after reading here, and also my own experience of Daikin to replace again with Daikin
My question being, The Condo is in Jomtien (VT2) and is a rental, would you buy Inverter Unit or Standard ? Is there a big price difference ?
Plus, any recommended Supplier and installers local to Jomtien with a good reputation ?
Any help suggestion would be appreciated thanks

28 minutes ago, pattayapip said:

I have decided to replace 2 x 18,000 BTU Daikin units in my Condo, and after reading here, and also my own experience of Daikin to replace again with Daikin
My question being, The Condo is in Jomtien (VT2) and is a rental, would you buy Inverter Unit or Standard ? Is there a big price difference ?
Plus, any recommended Supplier and installers local to Jomtien with a good reputation ?

You're replacing AC in a rental at your own cost?  Wow.  From what I see when I go to the "Home" places, "inverter" may already be "standard".  But yah, inverter for sure.  Check out LG - a really good unit these days and usually better price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pattayapip said:

Before buying a new air conditioner I think it is better that you ask the owner if you can deduct the expense from your rent, normally the owner accepts if he is a correct person.

Yes, inverter is the best, - 10/15% bill

Edited by ICELANDMAN

On 1/2/2020 at 2:07 PM, pattayapip said:

We purchased our two Daiken  units from HomePro in Minburi. Bangkok.    The price included the installation and they did an excellent job..

3 hours ago, pattayapip said:

Looking at the replies i see i have not been clear enough, It is a Rental that I own myself ????
Just ordered 2 Daikin Inverters
Thanks for the replies

Unless it's a high end condo, or you pay the electric, paying a premium for an inverter does not make a lot of sense.