Tourists injured as tour boat hits yacht off Phuket

snoop1130

25 minutes ago, Mises said:

The tour boat appears to have hit the starboard side of the 'yacht' so the tour boat had right of way and it was the duty of the 'yacht' to avoid the collision. 

rules-1.jpg

Who has right of way at sea?
Rules to remember when two vessels meet
When two power-driven vessels are in crossing situation on a collision course, give way to the vessel to starboard (right).The give way vessel must take early and obvious action to avoid a collision by either stopping or altering course to starboard.
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:
Who has right of way at sea?
Rules to remember when two vessels meet
When two power-driven vessels are in crossing situation on a collision course, give way to the vessel to starboard (right).The give way vessel must take early and obvious action to avoid a collision by either stopping or altering course to starboard.

Who says that it was a crossing situation? The damage runs down the port side from bow to stern, suggesting a glancing blow as they passed each other. My guess is that the other vessel suffered similar damage on it's port side.

Edited by DannyCarlton

15 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Who says that it was a crossing situation? The damage runs down the port side from bow to stern, suggesting a glancing blow as they passed each other. My guess is that the other vessel suffered similar damage on it's port side.

A glancing blow ?  To my eye the tourist boat took a full frontal hit. I have yet to see an image of the motor yacht damage.

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

Post 22 shows damage to the STARBOARD side of the 'yacht'.

For those who want to argue the definition of a yacht, read all about it in this thread about a superyacht fire in August. There's no need to rehash it all again.

This incident happened in the same area as the current accident in Phang Nga Bay in the Andaman Sea, part of the Indian Ocean.

• Like 2

The luxury yacht, called “Stallion”, was skippered by 47 year old Russian Alexander Gorbunov. The vessel suffered only slight damage in the collision. The captain was able to rescue 36 of the 46 tourists on board “Choksuphasan 35” and take them back to shore at the Ao Por Grand Marina. Other injured tourists and Captain Surat, a tour guide and one other crew were taken AA Marina on Koh Sirae.

Tourists involved in the incident were from Britain, India, Pakistan, Iran, Egypt, Estonia and Russia.

A tour boat crew, 18 year old Kittipong “Boy” Samunboot, fell overboard from the impact of the collision. He has not been seen since.

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/18-year-old-crew-remains-missing-after-boat-collision-off-phuket-yesterday-one-dead

Edited by LeungKen
Size of font
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Scot123 said:

I really do not understand your logic. Surely the answer is for the government to force these tour operators, taxi's in fact anyone responsible for the injury or death of a tourist to pay in full all costs of treatment and full compensation ant a basket of bird nest soup but hundreds of thousands of £ or $ etc that is the only way correct procedures, qualified people and insurance carried. Why should the tourist be left to pay and live their life with some disability that they end up suffering with. 

"Government to force", there's your first mistake mate. The company may have the required bits of paper for insurance to wave about, but when it comes to paying, well it's only bloody farang. Tomorrow's headline, "Where did all the tourists go?"

1 hour ago, rucker4012 said:

Speed boat driven by what I suspect is a young Thai who can't see and avoid a large yacht should be a wake up call to Minister of Tourism. This is not always a safe place to come on vacation.

Not young, https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1139624-deceased-captain-from-wednesday’s-phuket-boat-crash-had-been-the-captain-in-another-fatal-boat-crash/.

14 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

I would say it is a reckless crossing situation. You note the damage runs down port side. Do not forget that both vessels were in motion at impact and therefor would create a "damage path" along the tourist boats port side.

• Like 1