Vented Ridge Cap for steel roofs

unheard

I'm trying to source a vented ridge cap for a new construction steel roof.

I'm puzzled that there seems to be zero availability and what looks like an absolute lack of demand for such a product in Thailand.

Even though there's at least a couple of vented ridge designs sold in Australia, e.g. Vent-A-Roof which looks to be very functional and cost effective but I'm sure the shipping costs/fees to Thailand would make it super expensive for what it is..

10 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Homemart have ridge vents and places like that, maybe Global house they are available in Thailand more than likely in Bangkok. 

Not sure if Homemart is a SCG building products center but I know I have seen a roof ridge vent system offered by SCG somewhere before

1 minute ago, longball53098 said:

Not sure if Homemart is a SCG building products center but I know I have seen a roof ridge vent system offered by SCG somewhere before

There are companies in Thailand that sell steel roof sheets and do ridge vents in steel sheeted constructed roof.

There easy enough to fabricate yourself or find someone to do it for you if you cannot or not want do such work.

Pictures of your roof would help and the type of roof profile sheet cover you used.

As you said there's an absolute lack of demand, that's because in most cases ridge venting and hip vents are not necessary.

They also do a lot of buildings here that just have a big gap between the front and back roof sections, with (typically) the front section overhanging the back. These are great, particularly if you can take advantage of the prevailing wind effectively.

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

There easy enough to fabricate yourself or find someone to do it for you if you cannot or not want do such work.

Pictures of your roof would help and the type of roof profile sheet cover you used.

I'm still at the preliminary design stage but pretty much made my mind on the simple hip roof - no complex shapes and valleys.

Custom fabricating sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not quite sure I'd be comfortable with that option (not yet) due to the unknown/untested factor or the capability of the design/fabricator.

The foreign commercial designs have been tested vigorously to a very high standard and guarantee no leakage surprises if properly installed, but at the high price.

e.g. the Australian vent-a-roof design priced at ฿5,700 for 15 linear meters in length (10 pcs in a box), shipping not included.

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Depending on where you live it may be a really bad idea. The sugar cane dust is nasty stuff.

However  I have a cad to pdf drawing of one that can be made if you need it.

Thankfully the nearest sugar cane plantation is more than 100 kms away.

I'd like to see the drawing if you don't mind.

Thanks

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

They also do a lot of buildings here that just have a big gap between the front and back roof sections, with (typically) the front section overhanging the back. These are great, particularly if you can take advantage of the prevailing wind effectively.

Do you mean the two-section, sections separated roofs sitting at an angle to each other in the shed type profile?

50 minutes ago, unheard said:

Do you mean the two-section, sections separated roofs sitting at an angle to each other in the shed type profile?

Yes. 

They don’t look that great, but they are effective. 

We leased a 30m x 100m building in Kabinbury that had a great roof. Steep hip-roof with a full length ridge vent about a meter high with louvers along both sides. 

Extra long eave overhang, and 1.5m of chain-link fence between the top of the ~5m high concrete walls and the bottom of the roof. 

Stayed not cool, but not too f’n hot all year... 

On 12/19/2019 at 9:18 PM, unheard said:

I'm still at the preliminary design stage but pretty much made my mind on the simple hip roof - no complex shapes and valleys.

Custom fabricating sounds like an interesting idea but I'm not quite sure I'd be comfortable with that option (not yet) due to the unknown/untested factor or the capability of the design/fabricator.

The foreign commercial designs have been tested vigorously to a very high standard and guarantee no leakage surprises if properly installed, but at the high price.

e.g. the Australian vent-a-roof design priced at ฿5,700 for 15 linear meters in length (10 pcs in a box), shipping not included.

https://images.app.goo.gl/5oTHrDyHWVjjLNpd7

Is this what you are after? 

You realiae that the thai colorbond pallet doesn't match the Australian one. 

Also the thai steal that is used is generally high tensile g350 where as the Australian is a g500 low tensile. 

I can put you in touch with an Australian roofing company in Y

Thailand

Please. Pm. Me. If this is what you want. 

1 hour ago, shaemus said:

Also the thai steal that is used is generally high tensile g350 where as the Australian is a g500 low tensile. I

I’m surprised  to hear that, I would have thought that the low tensile steel would be much easier to post form through the profile rollers. The steel used seems to be either G300 or G550 AZ150 which matches the New Zealand Colorbond  

That the colour pallet is different isn’t a surprise due to different tastes.

6 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I’m surprised  to hear that, I would have thought that the low tensile steel would be much easier to post form through the profile rollers. The steel used seems to be either G300 or G550 AZ150 which matches the New Zealand Colorbond  

That the colour pallet is different isn’t a surprise due to different tastes.

With material that thin, rollfoming does not take much power, and simple profiles pretty forgiving. You can often roll high and low carbon in a few thickness with and without coating through the same mill with little or no setup. 

Stainless takes more power, harder rolls and it’s much less forgiving. 

Thailand doesn’t make steel as far as I know.

8 hours ago, shaemus said:

https://images.app.goo.gl/5oTHrDyHWVjjLNpd7

Is this what you are after? 

Also the thai steal that is used is generally high tensile g350 where as the Australian is a g500 low tensile.

Yes, that's the product.

The exact color match is not much of an issue to me as long as in the same color palette (esthetics are secondary).

Could you please elaborate on the importance of potential mismatch in the cap vs roof metal tensile strength?

19 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Thailand doesn’t make steel as far as I know.

It seems the steel is being sourced from Japan and Australia by NS Bluescope.

But there is a lot of cheaper imported stuff coming from China, also Korea.

I'm not interested in those.

47 minutes ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

Yeah, they push it and roll it, but (as far as I know) they import ingot and coil to do it.

Quite a lot of the steel used in Thai mills is imported but there are about 20 steel making plants that produced 3.3 million metric tonnes of steel in 2018 though the amount produced in 2019 is around ⅔ of last year.

So Thailand is a steel producer as well as a steel importer.

Thailand steel information

On 12/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

Quite a lot of the steel used in Thai mills is imported but there are about 20 steel making plants that produced 3.3 million metric tonnes of steel in 2018 though the amount produced in 2019 is around ⅔ of last year.

So Thailand is a steel producer as well as a steel importer.

Thailand steel information

Where do they get the ore? 

4 hours ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

Yes it dose 

Why?

What’s the difference between iron ore mined in Thailand and iron ore shipped into Thailand? Both are iron ore both have a cost attached to them.

Whether Thailand produces its own ore or not is irrelevant to the fact that Thailand produces steel from iron ore, several million metric tons of it. Thailand also imports steel (considerably more than it makes) and processes it.

So what is your point?

Archived