Where are the Europeans? Hua Hin/Cha Am tourism officials urged to look elsewhere for next wave of tourists

webfact

... The message was clear: Europeans are not coming as much as in the past. 

The answer to this dilemma was waffle and buzzwords. ...

I think I'd rather have the free mango and sticky rice they gave the Chinese than waffles and buzzwords. I know the latter is a Thai dish, but not to my liking.

1 hour ago, GeorgeCross said:

TAT always looking elsewhere never trying to please the one's they already have.

maybe if more satisfied tourists returned they'd be able to ride out these economic 'bumps' a bit easier :whistling:

Customer retention is a foreign concept.  Always look for a new Mia Noy. 

• Haha 1

On 12/19/2019 at 6:52 AM, mokwit said:

There may be a link between lack of 6 month contract property rentals and lack of ability to easily stay 6 months as a tourist over winter.

NO lack of condos for 6 month rentals. Problem ..the people want to pay for 5 or 6 month the same low rate like yearly rental, and not accept higher price, but owner will have rooms empty for rest of year.

so,i do not rent as well , bcs for exmaple yearly price is 18.000 /100qm  so if rent winter i want minimum 28.000 people no pay..resolution  due to lack of longterm people to rent ( bcs they all gone..........) the short term rental ..less use of fittings and more flexible, not more money but more convinient , even they call it now illegal

On 12/19/2019 at 4:17 PM, legend49 said:

A nice summary of a non event:

Then everyone smiled and had their picture taken. 

And went back home to wonder where all the tourists had gone. 

Spoke with Thai neighbor today, he is the engineering manager of a large company that is across many SE Asian countries. He told me Thai baht too high so they will close the factories in Thailand and relocate to Cambodia ( 60% cheaper in operations costs). Their Chinese factories are also relocating to Cambodia and Vietnam over the dumb sanction war by a man child on China..

makes no sense... how does relocating factories from China to Vietnam have anything to do with difficulties in Thailand... you need to get your Trump Derangement Syndrome in check

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Two words: baht, army. It has always been their (the nobs and stuffies like cha cha) intention to kill the status quo... whiteys in wife beaters making the place look untidy and keeping Thailand as the sex capital of the world. They couldn't care less about expats, or any visitor really, and would sooner have it completely devoid of westerners. It just does not affect them, but fits their agenda. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2019 at 4:20 PM, lapamita said:

NO lack of condos for 6 month rentals. Problem ..the people want to pay for 5 or 6 month the same low rate like yearly rental, and not accept higher price, but owner will have rooms empty for rest of year.

so,i do not rent as well , bcs for exmaple yearly price is 18.000 /100qm  so if rent winter i want minimum 28.000 people no pay..resolution  due to lack of longterm people to rent ( bcs they all gone..........) the short term rental ..less use of fittings and more flexible, not more money but more convinient , even they call it now illegal

Explains how I’m paying 25% under market price for rent at my condo. 18k for 100 sqm. Where? 

On 12/23/2019 at 2:44 AM, NCC1701A said:

Imagine you are researching your first time trip to Thailand.

Here are some of the confusing things you would find on the internet. What would you do?

The amazing iconic islands are closed. maybe for years. will more be closing? 

Chiang Mai had/has the worst air pollution in the world. 

Bangkok can be covered in smog. And so can Hua Hin and Pattaya.

The government says no more lanterns during Lo Krathong festival.

The government says they are limiting the Songkran water festival and tourists behavior. 

Thai baht strongest currency in SEA.

A glass of average wine is very expensive.

Huge numbers of Chinese and Indian are expected in tourist areas.

The government is saying Pattaya is a family resort now. 

The government removed all the beach chairs. Is that still the case?

you heard you or someone has to report your location everywhere you go.

Tourists with Visas are being turned away at the airport. 

A young woman streamed live from a jail cell she was being held for overstaying her tourist visa by four days.

Immigration police are arresting thousands of foreign people a month. Are they tourists?

Thailand has dangerous highways and EMS and rescue is extremely poor. 

There are a lot of tourist scams in Thailand and the police are part of it.

you love animals and animals are treated horribly. Elephants are beaten. Tigers are killed.

Slave labor still exists and human trafficking is common.   

Thailand is one of the worst polluters of oceans with plastic in the world

Thailand continues to use banned pesticides on crops.

Please don't forget to vote for me for POTY. Do it right now and your immortal soul will be saved.

No naked, or half naked girls to post? 

On 12/19/2019 at 10:47 AM, ujayujay said:

I have been living in hua for 4 years and my wife has a hairdressing salon here since 20 years.  Compared to 3 years ago it has more than 50% fewer western tourists.  I also wonder: where are the indian tourists!?

Sounds like heaven. ????

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 3:21 PM, Isaanbiker said:

No naked, or half naked girls to post? 

Wasn't traditional outfit for girls in Thailand going topless? 

To my understanding it only changed after Europeans arrived.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tulak said:

During my holidays in Hua Hin (usually twice a year) I met a number of retirees, most of them big spenders (what I observed).

Also consider that just to establish yourself, you will have to spend two to five million B. to buy condo/house and a car. This is only beginning and on a lower scale. Remember also furnishing you house - also living expenses and depositing money for visa...

Or you can rent a furnished house for $200 USD a month and tool around on a $150 second hand scooter.

Edit:  Oops.  My bad.  That was in 2016.  It's $250 a month and a $170 scooter with the stronger baht.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Or you can rent a furnished house for $200 USD a month and tool around on a $150 second hand scooter.

Edit:  Oops.  My bad.  That was in 2016.  It's $250 a month and a $170 scooter with the stronger baht.

But if you can afford to own your home outright then rent doesn't need to come into the equation.

On 12/21/2019 at 2:20 AM, Chelseafan said:

Are they taking into account my Air'B'B stay, my daily 2000 baht short-time, my 4000 daily bar bill,

So you are the bast**d running up short time prices.

And how is it, having supped 4000 Bats worth of booze, you can still manage a short time?... Bragging again eh?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

After hearing that Coronavirus has arrived in Hua Hin, the tourism in Hua Hin will drop like a stone, you couldn't pay me to go there. Added to that, half of China is quarantined throughout the Chinese New Year. Hua Hin will be a ghost town shortly.

There's plenty of Chinese tourists here

• Sad 1

On 1/25/2020 at 1:07 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

So you are the bast**d running up short time prices.

And how is it, having supped 4000 Bats worth of booze, you can still manage a short time?... Bragging again eh?

I was talking in the context of a punter/mongerer rather than me personally. I'm married so don't do short-time but the booze bit is pretty much spot on especially when ringing the bell a few times at my local bar.

Don't know what you mean by "braggin again" though.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 1