Where are the Europeans? Hua Hin/Cha Am tourism officials urged to look elsewhere for next wave of tourists

webfact

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

A nice summary of a non event:

Then everyone smiled and had their picture taken. 

And went back home to wonder where all the tourists had gone. 

Spoke with Thai neighbor today, he is the engineering manager of a large company that is across many SE Asian countries. He told me Thai baht too high so they will close the factories in Thailand and relocate to Cambodia ( 60% cheaper in operations costs). Their Chinese factories are also relocating to Cambodia and Vietnam over the dumb sanction war by a man child on China..

you are the 3rd person telling me the same thing  555

1 hour ago, geoffrobbo said:

"At the end of the meeting it was decided to have another meeting. 
Then everyone smiled and had their picture taken. 
And went back home to wonder where all the tourists had gone."

Perfect solution.

dont forget the meeting to decide where next  months  meeting should  be held

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Tourists don't purchase any of those things, except perhaps the odd 1,500 baht on Beach Road after a few too many beers.

Please everybody stop  to overpay, even after too many beers

thats behaviour tend to desorganise the market and generate inflation

on beach road (More precisely on the beach walk) the prices are between

500 and 1000. No more !!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Cheap charlie 555

aha no i pay the right price at the right place

i could be a cheap charlie if i was acting like most of these indians

i heard everyweek here trying to negociate under the 500 minimum limit

half of the talks of the working girls on beach road is moaning about them

trying to pay 100 or 200 bahts each (They are usualy 3 to 5 guys)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

aha no i pay the right price at the right place

i could be a cheap charlie if i was acting like most of these indians

i heard everyweek here trying to negociate under the 500 minimum limit

half of the talks of the working girls on beach road is moaning about them

trying to pay 100 or 200 bahts each (They are usualy 3 to 5 guys)

Once paid 2k baht on Beach Road to put a girl on a motorbike and send her home.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Where are the Europeans? Hua Hin/Cha Am tourism officials urged to look elsewhere for next wave

I suspect that wearing a pollution mask 24/7 is not something they are a accustomed to? Just a guess.???? Maybe the Chinese could ride that wave? ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

You'll never know how greatful she was.

Was walking down Beach Road on my way to the Beergarden for something to eat. Came upon 4 dirty mddle aged indians crowded round a young girl (too young) giving her serious hassle to the point that she was in tears. I pushed the Indians aside and offered the girl 2k baht and led her away.

Took her to the nearest motorbike taxi, gave her the money, told her to go home and that I didn't want to see her there again. Never did.

The look on the 4 indian guys faces was worth every Sentang,

With Indibums you would get away with it. Had it been a bunch of Thai boys you would have got the <deleted> beaten out of you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Now you are being silly. TAT have nothing to do with retirement visa rules. TAT are for tourists.

Please vent your wrath in the correct thread. (I am not saying that your point is wrong - it is just in the wrong place.)

Sfokevin didn't say it was Tat at fault he only suggested that the audience should have been told about the lack of travel by expats due to immigration shortcomings .

8 hours ago, saengd said:

"A study carried out by the Institute for Population and Social Research at Mahidol University using data from 2010, suggested that there were approximately 440,000 expats living in Thailand, which included 141,000 Chinese, 85,000 Brits, 80,000 Japanese, 46,000 Indians, 40,000 Americans, 24,000 Germans and 23,000 French"

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/38177/the-mystery-of-exactly-how-many-expats-live-in-thailand

Multiply by average 60,000 Baht per month (midpoint between 40k and 80k Immi. visa requirement)

440,000 x 60,000 baht x 12 months =  THB 316.8 bill. or USD 10.6 bill. almost 3% of GDP!

Some pittance!

...Jul 28, 2019

It's well documented on Thai Visa that Chinese and Indians don't spend any money or else all their spending goes back to their own countries because they dont patronise Thai businesses and they are 'low-end' whatever that means. So 440.000 - 141,000 Chinese - 46,000 Indians = 253,000. Excuse me for the 3000 inaccuracy in a population of circa 62m or put another way 0.00048%.

You can't have it both ways.

Either way, your figures show that just about 47% of immigrant spending is done by other Asians and this thread is about Europeans and their overwhelming importance to the Thai economy. You would have to take out the 40k Americans too and their sick buffalo donations.

It would appear that it's not quite the case wouldn't it?

So, not 3%. More like 1.2%, or a 2 baht tax rise on cigarettes. That's how replaceable Europeans are in terms of pure finance.

Edited by Traubert
Additional clarification

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Now you are being silly. TAT have nothing to do with retirement visa rules. TAT are for tourists.

Please vent your wrath in the correct thread. (I am not saying that your point is wrong - it is just in the wrong place.)

Not really ... if you have a meeting looking for all possible causes for the issue ... then you have to put all angles on the table ... incl. visa rules.

The Baht would be another one, but that's also not TAT's issue ... but real downer for Europeans to travel to Thailand.

... only TAT discussions about multi generation, luxury, family ... obviously just led to another follow up meeting.

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

It's well documented on Thai Visa that Chinese and Indians don't spend any money or else all their spending goes back to their own countries because they dont patronise Thai businesses and they are 'low-end' whatever that means. So 440.000 - 141,000 Chinese - 46,000 Indians = 253,000. Excuse me for the 3000 inaccuracy in a population of circa 62m or put another way 0.00048%.

You can't have it both ways.

Either way, your figures show that just about 47% of immigrant spending is done by other Asians and this thread is about Europeans and their overwhelming importance to the Thai economy. You would have to take out the 40k Americans too and their sick buffalo donations.

It would appear that it's not quite the case wouldn't it?

So, not 3%. More like 1.2%, or a 2 baht tax rise on cigarettes. That's how replaceable Europeans are in terms of pure finance.

In your earlier thread you wrote: "That is a pittance as the retirees are not that much importance for the tourist industry". But now it's clear that 3% of GDP is not really a pittance after all, you want to restrict the discussion to just Europeans because that's the title of this thread. Perhaps if you would have qualified your earlier statement more accurately and much earlier by stating that "European retiree spending was a mere pittance", I might have agreed with you. But you didn't, I sense a certain amount of late qualification, aka wriggling! Moving on..

In related news: the population of Thailand is 69 million and Chinese visitors, tourist or resident expat, are shown, on average, to be one of the highest spending groups of any that visit Thailand - "The Chinese now account for 57.48% of all tourists in Thailand. Chinese expenditure into Thailand is US$15,342,000,000 each year, which is more than any other nation. The average spend per day for a Chinese tourist in Thailand is US$192 – which is 53% more than the average Europeans US$125 daily spend". https://thethaiger.com/news/opinion/why-the-chinese-are-infinitely-more-important-than-western-tourists-to-thailand

Which ever way you cut the cake the contribution to the Thai economy by foreign expats is not small. I used figures from 2010 but didn't include costs that would have been included in a more complete spending analysis, maybe I'll model a more complete picture, just for fun!

Edited by saengd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, saengd said:

In your earlier thread you wrote: "That is a pittance as the retirees are not that much importance for the tourist industry". But now it's clear that 3% of GDP is not really a pittance after all, you want to restrict the discussion to just Europeans because that's the title of this thread. Perhaps if you would have qualified your earlier statement more accurately and much earlier by stating that "European retiree spending was a mere pittance", I might have agreed with you. But you didn't, I sense a certain amount of late qualification, aka wriggling! Moving on..

In related news: the population of Thailand is 69 million and Chinese visitors, tourist or resident expat, are shown, on average, to be one of the highest spending groups of any that visit Thailand - "The Chinese now account for 57.48% of all tourists in Thailand. Chinese expenditure into Thailand is US$15,342,000,000 each year, which is more than any other nation. The average spend per day for a Chinese tourist in Thailand is US$192 – which is 53% more than the average Europeans US$125 daily spend". https://thethaiger.com/news/opinion/why-the-chinese-are-infinitely-more-important-than-western-tourists-to-thailand

Which ever way you cut the cake the contribution to the Thai economy by foreign expats is not small. I used figures from 2010 but didn't include costs that would have been included in a more complete spending analysis, maybe I'll model a more complete picture, just for fun!

Out of curiosity is the cost of sick buffalo, house , cars and land- plastic daddy costs, essarns one parent family fund , factored into the cost of expats spending ? I can tell you for a fact no Indian or Chinese would be dumb enough to finance that lot . 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Traubert said:

there were approximately 440,000 expats living in Thailand, which included 141,000 Chinese, 85,000 Brits, 80,000 Japanese, 46,000 Indians, 40,000 Americans, 24,000 Germans and 23,000 French

Good to see us Brits are keeping our end up ???? 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Chazar said:

kin unbelievable..........

You've obviously never worked for Big Corp then.... about 80% of meetings I attended over 30 years ended up, in summary, lets have another meeting... 

You learn to nod, smile & go do what needs to be done ???? 

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Not including rent, I'd say you are at least 750 baht over

Nonsense, Thailand sets the bar at 65,000 pm which is > 2,000 per day.

For every expat living under the radar on 750 THB pd (approx 23,000 pm) + rent (let's say another 5,000 so 28,000 PM) there is one living on > 100,000 THB PM.

1,500 THB per day (45,000 PM), even excluding rent feels on the low side to me...  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Traubert said:

It's well documented on Thai Visa that Chinese and Indians don't spend

It's documented on Thai Visa that Indian's are only 2nd (to Chinese) when it comes to average daily spend, both > 6,000 THB per day

Come on fellow Falang, you're embarrassing us here, get your wallets out ???? 

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, saengd said:

Try this:

Average tourist spends 6, 250 baht per day for an average eleven days per year.

Average retiree expat spends 1,500 baht per day for 365 days per year.

Tell us again that retiree spending is a pittance!

I spend much more, you have to make a medium spend more height for tourist long time I believe

17 hours ago, saengd said:

"A study carried out by the Institute for Population and Social Research at Mahidol University using data from 2010, suggested that there were approximately 440,000 expats living in Thailand, which included 141,000 Chinese, 85,000 Brits, 80,000 Japanese, 46,000 Indians, 40,000 Americans, 24,000 Germans and 23,000 French"

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/38177/the-mystery-of-exactly-how-many-expats-live-in-thailand

Multiply by average 60,000 Baht per month (midpoint between 40k and 80k Immi. visa requirement)

440,000 x 60,000 baht x 12 months =  THB 316.8 bill. or USD 10.6 bill. almost 3% of GDP!

Some pittance!

...Jul 28, 2019

Because no data now after about ten years, probably because they don't want to say that there is a division to be made for two of the long-term tourists.