Chiang Mai: No parking sensors to help with traffic jams in "Smart City"

webfact

Chiang Mai: No parking sensors to help with traffic jams in "Smart City" 

6pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

Traffic police in Chiang Mai proudly announced that no parking sensors were being installed in an area of  town known as "Smart City".

Cutting edge technology is being used to deter motorists from parking near intersections in Nimmanhaemin Road and adjoining areas. 

6pm2.jpg

The tech has is buried in the road surface and through a connection with the cloud then a Line app it can alert traffic police to people who park near intersections and snarl the traffic flow. 

IMG_0615-1.jpg

Traffic police deputy chief Pol Lt-Col Suphachai Janthara said that four of the devices have been successfully tested and that a total of 171 will be installed in the area through January. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-19

It would be a piece of cake to fine the cars now and without any "cutting-edge technology". In the end the good old-fashioned fines never get paid and so the drivers will park their cars wherever they want.

I remember the days when they tried to enforce one-way traffic in the sois of Nimman. But everybody kept driving both ways. Then they decided that it should be allowed to park only on one side of the road depending on the days of the week (even-uneven). They clawed a few cars, got in trouble with the wealthy owners of businesses on Nimman and eventually had to revert back to traffic on both lanes and parking on both sides if somehow possible.

15 minutes ago, Queenslander said:

Ladies and gentlemen the last rocket to believable land leaves soon. 

I am not sure, which is the most incredible...the Thai government nonsensical statements... or the supposedly intelligent expat response. 

Neither have any validity... 

I wouldn't disagree. However, valid or not, it doesn't stop the alleged government making it up as they go along. Remember this:

The PM's persecution of anyone reading 1984, by charging them with "eating a sandwich with political intent" in June 2014:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTd_FJbiRq0

I knew a Line App had to be in there somewhere - it's the backbone of Thailand's IT infrastructure.

I'm sure when the app sends a message it sends a "Ka Ching" sound as well.

Of course the major variable is Officer Somchai's reaction time.

Smart City? Fail.

• Like 1

Immature, juvenile and pathetic logic used again to excuse and somehow deflect from the pure apathy towards the most basic of law enforcement operations - patrolling.

The issues facing Thailands congestion are significantly exacerbated by people doing what they want, where they want, when they want with impunity - the BiB do nothing. 

These sensors are purely superfluous to the primary job at hand - patrolling, issuing tickets, removing and impounding vehicles, following up on the payment of meaningful fines...  what's commonly known as adequate policing. 

• Like 1