Knowledgeable refrigerator repairman in Bangkok Area?

Monomial

Hi guys.

I need to convert a chest freezer currently running on R-134a to run on R-404 instead. I need to get it colder than the -18 or so currently possible. This is no problem for the compressor, but I will need to replace the expansion valve, the thermostat, and get the pressures correct for the new fluid.   It is a trivial conversion, or so I am told.  Problem is I do not possess this skill, and the local guy near the house just looked at me with a dumb expression (even when my wife explained to him in Thai what I wanted to do.)

So I need to find someone who has a bit more skill and understanding.

Does anyone know of a person like that in the Bangkok area?  I am in the Rangsit area, but willing to bring the unit anywhere to the right person.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, moontang said:

Sell that one and buy a new one..otherwise, you gotta make sure the compressor oil is the same...I don't know a single soul that converted r22 to r410, for example..and the were charging up to 100 USD per pound of r22...

Appreciate your feedback and good advice re: oil.

All the compressors these days use POE oil, so actually no problem there.  404a is about 400 baht/kg, so more expensive than 134a, but not awful. In fact, 134 is even a component of 404, so even if there is still residual 134 in the system it won't create an issue.

That is why I said the conversion is supposed to be trivial. I checked the unit, and it doesn't have an expansion valve. Just has a captube wound around the filter drier, so that would just need to be replaced by the 404 equivalent and the thermostat replaced.

I really don't think this is a difficult job. It just requires finding someone who understands how a refrigeration system works and knows where to get the parts. I basically understand how the system works, so I could direct someone, but I can't weld and I have no idea where to purchase the supplies.

Also, if there is anyone in the Bangkok area who does have the skills and tools to do this, and wants to meet new people and have a day of beer on me, I'd be happy to accept the help.

Edited by Monomial