About holding 800 K for 90 days post application

According to the latest rules, foreigners seeking a retirement extension have to show that they have 800,000 baht in the bank at the time of application, but also that these same 800,000 baht are still there 90 days later. 

Now here are some questions which members having preferably first hand experience with these issues are welcome to answer:

- is this 800 K holding requirement linked to the 90 day report requirement? 

- if yes, what happens if, as authorized, you report, say, 10 days before the mandatory date? 

- and what happens if you report online? 

In both cases, do you have to show up at your immigration office exactly 90 days after your extension application, specifically to show your bank book, or is there some flexibility with the 800 K holding requirement, as there is for the 90 days report? 

- now what happens if you are abroad at the time when you are supposed to show your bank book? 

Do you have to rush to your immigration office when you come back, or do you get a pass? 

Of course, I won't argue on the nonsense requiring a foreigner to show that he has enough money to support himself for one year (the 800 K), yet denying him the use of these same 800 K for a quarter of the year, during which he is maybe required to beg to support himself, waiting for the release of his funds... 

Thanks for your answers to the questions above... 

Edited by Brunolem

At Nonthaburi last week, they said it would be checked at next year's extension, just like they check the seasoning..nothing to do with 90 day reports...no special trips..I could see how it might change the bank letter, though.  And there are reports from Jomtien that they are indeed requiring people to come in at the 90 day mark, but that was ground zero for the liar letters, and the one day bank deposits.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, moontang said:

At Nonthaburi last week, they said it would be checked at next year's extension, just like they check the seasoning..nothing to do with 90 day reports...no special trips..I could see how it might change the bank letter, though.  And there are reports from Jomtien that they are indeed requiring people to come in at the 90 day mark, but that was ground zero for the liar letters, and the one day bank deposits.

Correct. Next renewal will be problem if rules not abided by. Should be able do online.

44 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

- is this 800 K holding requirement linked to the 90 day report requirement? 

No. Not connected to address reporting in anyway.

45 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In both cases, do you have to show up at your immigration office exactly 90 days after your extension application, specifically to show your bank book, or is there some flexibility with the 800 K holding requirement, as there is for the 90 days report? 

Hardly any offices are checking the bank balance after 3 months. Those that do will give a specific date to take the bank book in for checking.

47 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

- now what happens if you are abroad at the time when you are supposed to show your bank book? 

Do you have to rush to your immigration office when you come back, or do you get a pass?

You need to go to immigration as soon as possible after returning.

48 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Of course, I won't argue on the nonsense requiring a foreigner to show that he has enough money to support himself for one year (the 800 K), yet denying him the use of these same 800 K for a quarter of the year, during which he is maybe required to beg to support himself, waiting for the release of his funds... 

You have always needed 800K plus extra money to see you through the 'seasoning' period. 800K is a minimum. Nothing stopping you having a larger balance and using those funds as long as you don't drop below 800K, or 400K for the rest of the year.

• Thanks 1

OP, you have good answers above.

On an aside there was recent similar post re reporting back to show 800k still in bank. I got bit of flack when I pointed out it was only few rogue imm office. Jomtien being one. CW not being one. 

Ubonjoe recently posted that there are even some office that require it every 3 months? Guess meaning to check the 400k also. This is the most stupid thing I have seen about Thai imm. If you accidentally dipped below the required levels you would simply not attend imm.

Wait till your current permission of stay expired and start afresh with new non o.

You can't make this level of stupidity up. 

I'm interested as to what % of imm office require this nonsense. My guess perhaps 10%

Why can't there be universal rules even on the most simple things.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

There has been reports that after the retiree showed immigration the necessary passbook after 3 months, there were no confirmation slip that they actually went there.

In short, don't bother to show because there is no proof given to you.

It is only relevant at the next renewal but nobody has reached that point yet.

I agree 100%. The few rouge imm offices doing this are so out of line.

When next extension is due the imm offices such as CW will check that the 800k post 3 month and 400k after then again 800k 2 months prior to application will at that time be checked. 

It's a joke. I had brain fade couple months back. Was short of funds and almost withdrew from my 800+. If I had I would have done nothing and prior to extension of stay until date, I would have left country and started non o process again.

If I was dealing with stuffed up offices such as Jomtien I would not do the 90 day bankbook nonsense and just do as outlined above.

The issue of receipt is not done as the bankbook statements are being thrown in the bin.

Absolute farce.

Does Thai imm have any control over these rogue imm offices?

Apparently not.

• Like 1

No it is not linked

For the check that cash is still in the bank after 90 days you cannot turn up earlier than the date requested.

As you say 90 day reporting has a few days of flexibility in it. The cash evidence check does not unless it falls on a day when immigration office is closed or you are out of the country on the due date. In the latter case go as soon as you are back and show the fund evidence. ( They may want to see your TM6)

No Pass I’m afraid.

This is how it works at Jomtien. Other offices may vary.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, EricTh said:

No proof being given you doesn't at all imply the illogical conclusion of "don't bother to show." What's important, or could be, is that they may have the proof. Seems they're starting to do this w/ the 90-day reports.

It's relevant on the date you're supposed to show. It may or may not be relevant at any time thereafter. They decide that, not you. But I don't want any surprises at next renewal, thank you. 

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The few rouge imm offices doing this are so out of line.

Totally agreed. All that rouge is SO distracting. It's a business office fer Chrissake!

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The issue of receipt is not done as the bankbook statements are being thrown in the bin.

Absolute farce

You dunno whether your statement is looked at and the fact of your reporting entered into the computer before the statement is thrown into the bin or turned over and used for a notice to give some other tourist. Could be done in the back office. So you actually don't know how much of a farce it is. Main issue with you is that you don't like it. But that's no excuse to suggest bad advice to people.

So many rules in all countries are just arbitrary political rules. Tax rules come strongly to mind. Can't change 'em, so point in getting upset with 'em.

Me, I play it safe. They say report, I have a beer and report. ???? NO problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

There has been reports that after the retiree showed immigration the necessary passbook after 3 months, there were no confirmation slip that they actually went there.

If the local immigration office requires a 90 days check, like Jomtien Immigration,then you have to go there 90 days after the application. It doesn't matter if you like it or not. You don't show the bank book,you show 2 copies from the bank book and 2 copies from the passport. All 4 copies signed at the bottom in blue ink. This is old news in Pattaya. 

It would be great if all the agents could form a lobby or  group to collectively try to change some of the more time and money wasting rules. Less work for immigration is possible . I know some of these clowns make it up as they go along so it's probably a silly idea to even try? Just a silly thought.

4 hours ago, Mick501 said:

Did these recently at Jomtien.   They are separate processes.   Handed in the evidence of funds at the counter with no ticket required, and no waiting.  This was about 5 days before the end of the 90 days after extension.   It was accepted without question, but still kept the cash there until the 90 day period had expired.

I am not in Jomtien, but for the record, do they specifically require that you show the 800 k on the same bank account as they were when you applied?

Or is this it just the amount that matters and not the account?

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I am not in Jomtien, but for the record, do they specifically require that you show the 800 k on the same bank account as they were when you applied?

If had withdrew the 800k and same day placed it in say an FD account you would not have maintained 800k in bank account.

Bit like you stuff up make a withdrawal and quickly re deposit it. You might be lucky you might not.

1 hour ago, Brunolem said:

I can only offer speculation here sorry.  The rule is you have to have 800k in a Thai bank account at all times.  It seems that as long as you have a paper trail showing that on any given day it didn't dip below, it wouldn't matter if it's two different accounts.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

It would be great if all the agents could form a lobby or  group to collectively try to change some of the more time and money wasting rules. Less work for immigration is possible . I know some of these clowns make it up as they go along so it's probably a silly idea to even try? Just a silly thought.

"to collectively try to change some of the more time and money wasting rules"

Which rules are you thinking about? The use of an agent is wasting money compared to the costs at immigration. 

On 12/22/2019 at 3:45 PM, Brunolem said:

You got one thing right. Nonsense.

7 hours ago, Mick501 said:

I can only offer speculation here sorry.  The rule is you have to have 800k in a Thai bank account at all times.  It seems that as long as you have a paper trail showing that on any given day it didn't dip below, it wouldn't matter if it's two different accounts.  

You don't need 800k at all times. Only 2 months prior to the 1 year extension and 3 months after. Then you can't go below 400k until 2 months before next application when you have to top it up to 800k again. And I think you need the 800k after 90 days in the same account as you had them 2 months prior to the extension. It has to be the same account for the whole year. There might be a new  requirement next year before March 1 2020 requiring proof of never been below 400k. They probably want to see copies of the bank book for one year or a 1 year bank statement.