As an Australian do I need to apply for a visa to go to Vietnam for xmas for 4 days

My e visa I got about 10 days ago said I would get it within 3 working days. I got it at the end of the fourth day and they started the visa two days later than I requested. It screwed thinks up a bit. It was also for 29 days not 30 days. 

You have to get an “approval letter” first, otherwise the airline won’t let you board the flight. This approval letter’s issued by a number of private, not government, websites, eg vietnam-visa.com. Normally needs 2 working days, but they have an express service of 2 or 4 hours for a higher fee. Don’t know if they’re the cheapest, just first one I found on the net.

You then have to pay a “stamping fee” of $US25 or equivalent in dong when you arrive at the airport.

Although we are always finding fault with Thai immigration laws, if you’re a short stay tourist, Thailand’s certainly way easier and cheaper ($0) than Vietnam.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 7:29 PM, emptypockets said:

Phu Qhoc is visa exempt? I think that's the name . They advertise as a special zone on the Bangkok Airways in flight magazine. Apart from that place you will need a visa.

Might be cutting it fine to be there by Chrissy Stevo.

Well, just got back last night. Applied on-line at 4.20pm 23rd, paid the normal rate ( 2 working days to process) anyway... I was very nervous as I'd already paid for the flights and hotel, Airasia package non-refundable. So I called and emailed the visa process team and they assured me letter would come 24th 5.30pm ( flight was 7.00am 25th ) so no room for any mistake.

Well low and behold, letter comes at 6.30pm 24th ....  yahoo !!  then I rush around looking for a printer, found one in a hotel but had to race back home then email it to them ( they wouldn't accept usb stick )

So all in all, got to Vietnam for xmas day.  lol

Actually,  it's not a VOA for many countries including Australia, it's a single entry tourist visa ( 1 month )

it's $25US + $17US approval letter. so $42 all up or 1,260 baht.

Hotel was good, they upgraded us so we had a big window and spa in the bathroom, free breakfast was good.

We went out, walked around went to several bars, taxi's are reasonably cheap although difficult to explain where you want to go. 

Vietnam is good, it's not for everyone I expect, I noticed they do not smile at all at foreigners or rarely … generally they are not as friendly as Thais although that's because they speak zero English,

will I go back  .... yes,  maybe February for one week . 

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Well, just got back last night. Applied on-line at 4.20pm 23rd, paid the normal rate ( 2 working days to process) anyway... I was very nervous as I'd already paid for the flights and hotel, Airasia package non-refundable. So I called and emailed the visa process team and they assured me letter would come 24th 5.30pm ( flight was 7.00am 25th ) so no room for any mistake.

Well low and behold, letter comes at 6.30pm 24th ....  yahoo !!  then I rush around looking for a printer, found one in a hotel but had to race back home then email it to them ( they wouldn't accept usb stick )

So all in all, got to Vietnam for xmas day.  lol

Actually,  it's not a VOA for many countries including Australia, it's a single entry tourist visa ( 1 month )

it's $25US + $17US approval letter. so $42 all up or 1,260 baht.

Hotel was good, they upgraded us so we had a big window and spa in the bathroom, free breakfast was good.

We went out, walked around went to several bars, taxi's are reasonably cheap although difficult to explain where you want to go. 

Vietnam is good, it's not for everyone I expect, I noticed they do not smile at all at foreigners or rarely … generally they are not as friendly as Thais although that's because they speak zero English,

will I go back  .... yes,  maybe February for one week . 

Perhaps added tip for your next trip. If your staying District 1 (Bui Vien at area) grab the yellow bus 109 excellent and 20k dong. $1 USD.

I always get 3 month multi but if only want short visit then E visa is better option. Check it out on net. Doing that you no need wait for visa at Saigon airport. It's straight to passport control.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps added tip for your next trip. If your staying District 1 (Bui Vien at area) grab the yellow bus 109 excellent and 20k dong. $1 USD.

I always get 3 month multi but if only want short visit then E visa is better option. Check it out on net. Doing that you no need wait for visa at Saigon airport. It's straight to passport control.

right  !  …… I got in line which took 30 min or so to get to the IO, but didn't realize I needed the visa in the passport ( I was thinking he would just stamp me in )  so had to then go over to landing visa area and get the visa then back to the line again … sheeesh. And we did get the 109 to district 1, stayed at the Silverland central hotel. 

Edited by steven100

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

right  !  …… I got in line which took 30 min or so to get to the IO, but didn't realize I needed the visa in the passport ( I was thinking he would just stamp me in )  so had to then go over to landing visa area and get the visa then back to the line again … sheeesh. And we did get the 109 to district 1, stayed at the Silverland central hotel. 

Your not the only one that has straight to pp control without going to obtain visa first. As your aware the "invitation letter" is just first step.

Also for other readers not familiar with process. You can pay in USD (preferred) or other currencies. There is no ATM airside of pp control. Same as all airports.

Also others note have your application filled in with pic attached. Site states 2 pics. You only need one. If somehow you forget the pic, they will take one. Cost 5usd. Saves lot of Hassel to have form all done. Download it from net. Note there is relatively new form maybe since 12 months back. Internet has both forms. 

• Like 1