The Best Fish And Chips

A short while ago I suggested a dedicated forum for restaurant reviews but the idea wasn't picked up by the mods. Anyway, I thought I'd add another. I have no commercial interest in the place, but visted when I won a Stickman photo competition and have been back several times since because I like what I saw. And ate.

We sometimes get posts here asking where to get some decent fish and chips in Bangkok, and often The Offshore place near Cowboy comes up. It's okay there I guess, but the surroundings are basic to say the least. And don't even go near their pies.

No one ever seems to mention On My Cod!, situated near Khao San Road. The cod and chips, with mushy peas, is easily the best I've had outside of the UK, and you can sit outside in a very pleasant little courtyard if you like. The chap that runs it is a friendly and hospitable soul, and his staff are also very much on-the-ball.

The cod and chips costs 190 baht, and there are also things like bangers and mash (120), liver and onions (120), steak and kidney pies (90), and more unusual things like black pudding and deep fried mars bars. They also do a big breakfast for 180, and a 'Hangover Special' which includes a Bloody Mary for the same price.

They also do Thai food, and beers include Beer Lao and Phuket Beer. I usually have the cod because it is so good, but I also tried the sausages once and that was fine too. I like the place so much I even pay a 400 baht 'taxi surcharge' to get there and back from Bang Na, and Khao San Road is always worth a wander afterwards.

The place is a little out of the way, hence the quiet courtyard, but info can be found on their website, fishandchipsbangkok.com.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Sorry mate, the bottom line there is Khao San Road.

Shift your.... oops, sorry...tell them to shift their chippy up to lower Sukhemvit or Silom and you'll get a bit more attention.

Perhaps you can't read. As I said, no commercial interest. Just trying to pass on where to get some really decent cod and chips. Some people might be interested. If you're not then why are you wasting your time adding to the thread.

Shift your.... oops, sorry...tell them to shift their chippy up to lower Sukhemvit or Silom and you'll get a bit more attention.

Perhaps you can't read. As I said, no commercial interest. Just trying to pass on where to get some really decent cod and chips. Some people might be interested. If you're not then why are you wasting your time adding to the thread.

Heard alot about that place Barry, all positive, will check it out next time i'm in BKK :o

What Bangkok Bazza says ... it's all true !

I've eaten here many times as I work just down the road and the cod and chips is great.

The bangers and mash is great also with the mushy peas and onion gravy ... and although I havent tried it the breakfast is meant to be a corker ! :o

OMC is very good, but location is difficult, took us AGES to park, then walked what seemed like miles back to the place, no air con, but plenty of televisions on Sky News.

The Ship (a Brit pub on Suk in Bkk) was suggested as very good. We had it delivered by foodbyphonebkk recently. Chips were essentially potato wedges, and very few, mushy peas were watery and tasteless, fish not bad, although rather soggy batter after it's journey.

Better than all of these is The Farang Connection in Surin. Streets ahead.

Got to agree. The owner has a fantastic place there, but in the wrong location. Fine for the hippy backpackers I guess, but it just never registers on my radar to make the trip across town to go there on a normal evening or weekend.

If it was in Sukhumvit, I'd go weekly.

Unfortunately my feeble attempt at humour resulted in a scathing attack that left me weeping in my pillow for several nights; but the place has had excellent reviews on Thai360.com and I'd surely make the effort to get there if I was still a BKK regular. I only stopover on the way to Chiang Rai these days, arriving late and leaving early the next day so the long haul to Khao San isn't an option.

I seem to remember some talk of them opening a second restaurant on Sukhemvit and it would certainly be a goer, the competition is pretty thin..... the Ship Inn serving a fairly ordinary meal last time I looked in.

For people in the North East, The Meeting Place in Nong Khai served some of the nicest fish and chips I've eaten in Thailand. Nothing fancy, just plain freshly cooked food.

Got to agree. The owner has a fantastic place there, but in the wrong location. Fine for the hippy backpackers I guess, but it just never registers on my radar to make the trip across town to go there on a normal evening or weekend.

If it was in Sukhumvit, I'd go weekly.

Cumon Bendix ... bigwig, highflying, litigation lawyer like yourself can easily afford the 100Baht taxi ride to this neck of the woods.

Then you can eat your cod, chips and mushy peas in pure satisfaction as you watch the hippies go by and reminisce what could have been had you not been such a diligent student. :o

If you are in Koh Samui - the Billabong Surf Club in Fisherman's Village, Bophut without a doubt. Fresh fish, crispy batter, mushy peas and thick white bread coated with butter - lemon on the side if you want it, lashings of malt vinegar. I feel a visit coming on...................

I've been to Oh My Cod twice and both times the food was bad. The second time was a very badly cooked full breakfast.

(Not anywhere near the quality of say.. the Dubliner or Black Swan)

I suspect that I may just have been unlucky, and I will go back. I've heard a lot of good things about the place from many people.

I don't like the Khao San Rd area or people, but I work close by.

The place is nice, the videos can be fun (English comedies / sitcoms), and the beer Lao is good too. The Indian restaurant next door is quite good too. So I can turn up and have a couple of decent options.

Edited by jasreeve17

I was recently in Bangkok, and tried the fish and chips in Ship Inn, on soi twenty three off Suk. It is just past the Offshore Bar.

I was happy with it, good tasting and well served. Not a big fancy place, but very clean and well run. Gets two thumbs up from me!

Best fish and chips I've had in Bangkok is at the Barbican on Soi Thaniya.

It comes at a price (about 320 Baht I think) but is excellent, I'd be temped to say the best I've had outside of the UK, but there's probably somewhere I've forgotten so I won't...

Not been to Oh My Cod though, but would like to if in the area and not eaten already.

Also, I second the idea mentioned in the OP of having a restaurant reviews forum. As long as it could be sure to not be abused, i.e. restaurant owners posting their own reviews.

Perhaps a few other rules could be put in place, e.g. only reply to a review with further comments on the establishment itself, not to bring in other restaurants, to keep clarity; perhaps nothing too scathing or insulting about a place, just constructive criticism... Could make it a very good resource within Thai Visa I think - if it became popular I'd use it regularly before choosing somewhere to dine out.

I was recently in Bangkok, and tried the fish and chips in Ship Inn, on soi twenty three off Suk. It is just past the Offshore Bar.

I was happy with it, good tasting and well served. Not a big fancy place, but very clean and well run. Gets two thumbs up from me!

I'll second KhunDennis' recommendation for Ship Inn. Certainly works as a servicable, neighborhood, chippie. I wouldn't say to go out of your way for it, but if you are nearby, then, certainly, yes.

A very large slab of tasty fish, so I didn't go away hungry. However, I would have liked several, smaller, pieces instead of the one huge one, because the crispy coating all around adds to the flavour.

Like most deep fried foods in Thailand, the oil was not hot enough, so it soaked into the fish a bit. Unless in the large hotels, most deep-fried foods in Thailand turn out like that. Not bad, though, and that won't stop me from going back again.

The only problem is that Ship Inn is directly across Suk 23 from the DownUnder bar, with their home-made, Aussie-style pies. It's a difficult call: fish or pie, fish or pie? Last time there, I got take-away from both. _ :o

Edited by Oneman

• 2 weeks later...

I had fish & chips at:

The Duke of Wellington (United Center, corner Silom Rd. and Soi Convent)

Hanrahan's (Sukhumvit Soi 4)

recently and both were excellent, slightly better than Oh My Cod (which I've eaten fish & chips at ~ 6 times).