Video: What happened when Revo met Fortuner at a bridge in Kanchanaburi

webfact

3pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CCTV footage from an intersection next to a bridge over a klong in Kanchanaburi showed a collision between a Revo pick-up and a Fortuner. 

Both had been going at high speed through the intersection that has no lights. 

The Fortuner ended up overturned in the Ban Nong Rong canal. 

Four people were rescued from the vehicle but were seriously injured. They were a 48 year old woman from Petchabun, a woman aged about 30 and two boys aged about 10 and 13. 

They were all taken to hospital in the area. 

Natthappong, 28, was driving the Revo and was waiting for police. He was only slightly injured with a graze on his forehead. 

Daily News said he had tried to brake but was not in time. 

Thaivisa notes that a thick white line on the road suggests that he should have been the one giving way.

Police took him away for questioning. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-24

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

Daily News said he had tried to brake but was not in time.

He doesn't look like he is braking to me. The front of the pickup is not dipping as it would under hard braking. He just never stopped at a crossroads where he was required to give way. 

1 minute ago, Somtamnication said:

The white strip is there for a reason. 

At many many junctions the white strip is hardly visible and there are no give way signs..so I always "give way to the right"

even if (disputably ) Thai traffic law says to give way to the left at junctions with "equal priority"   with the very poor maintenance of signage  " always give way to the right" is the safest option.

there are many accidents at junctions like these caused by poor road markings and lack of clear signs as to who should give way, I 100% blame the authorities for these accidents.

Funds meant for upkeep of roads likely don't end up being spent on the roads

Highways dept not planning properly and this is what happens   

32 minutes ago, johng said:

At many many junctions the white strip is hardly visible and there are no give way signs..so I always "give way to the right"

even if (disputably ) Thai traffic law says to give way to the left at junctions with "equal priority"   with the very poor maintenance of signage  " always give way to the right" is the safest option.

That is all well and good provided the person behind you does the same - it's a bit like stopping at pedestrian crossings (especially if on a motorbike) - stop and risk getting rear ended keep going and break the law

53 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

The white strip is there for a reason. 

yeah they FAIL to see this  by me also in fact probably out of view is a STOP sign too, still any lines on the road are optional as in USELESS PICK UP s  fault.

1 hour ago, smedly said:

there are many accidents at junctions like these caused by poor road markings and lack of clear signs as to who should give way, I 100% blame the authorities for these accidents.

So you don't hold the driver responsible for driving 'without due care and attention' then ?    Markings or no markings, signs or no signs, only idiot's drive the way this Pillock was !

1 hour ago, Chazar said:

Hope fortuner  guy  likes  swimming.............dont you  just "love" the bluddy music!!

Hey at least there was no BOING added.  There is a bend round to the right in my town , the side road goes straight on , a thick white line was painted on the side road and to make things a little easier for the locals a yellow line was put down the middle of the main drag round to the right. made very little difference , why change their driving habits just because yellow lines and thick STOP lines have been added. Oh the pick up driver ...fliggin idiot.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

It is a very serious accident and has nothing to do with the type of car but only with the stupidity of some "drivers" who should not be allowed to drive!

the scooter rider did a pretty sane job of turning into the Moo (sat at the left so as no to be rear ended looked well and turned decisively) as for the rest of it brain snapped! I note also the folks coming out of the house and what looks like immediately getting prepared to get down to help the folks in the canal.

I'll re-iterate what has already been said.  The road to the left clearly has a STOP line, not a give way sign which would be a broken white line.  There was probably a stop sign on the approach but can't say from the vid. The stop line shows that it's an inferior road and those on the main drag has 'right of way'.

With regards to giving way to the left, this has already been covered on another thread.  The Traffic Act is very clear in that when two vehicles arrive at a junction where both roads are equal (nobody has right of way) then the vehicle to your left goes first.  Logical because that puts the vehicle to your left in front of you.  However any vehicle that has already entered the junction has priority.

To sum up:  Except for that very specific rule of letting the guy on the left go first, it's normal to always give way to the right.

11 hours ago, smedly said:

I 100% blame the drivers for the accidents.

Archived