Dukes

Donnyboy

I heard The Dukes is opening an outlet next to McDonalds Night Bazaar.

That would suit me as Im down in the market frequently and would like to tuck into a good juicy

steak/pizza etc more often

Anyone know more? :o

btw also a new pizza place to open soon in the NB.(?)

making my lips water now

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That would suit me as Im down in the market frequently and would like to tuck into a good juicy

making my lips water now

Yep, Donnyboy I hear it opens it's doors on the 4th this month. I also hear there may be some changes to the original menu but don't know more than that. No doubt your favourite steak/pizza will still be there. :D

making my lips water now

Yep, Donnyboy I hear it opens it's doors on the 4th this month. I also hear there may be some changes to the original menu but don't know more than that. No doubt your favourite steak/pizza will still be there. :D

Are they moving, or will this be #2?

making my lips water now

had dinner there at the duke's three times up to now. NOT the new NB branch. go back home wanting to drink lots and lots of water. sometimes that happens when i've had too much MSG in my meals.

secret to their success?

The Night Bazzar Branch will be number two and will specialize in "gourmet pizzas", but will have steaks and a lot from the other menu as well.

As far as being thirsty at the Duke's goes - unlike most other places - he gives lots of filtered, free, ice water and if you order ice tea you can drink as much as you want for the price of one glass. Can't beat it.

THAT is the secret to their success! :o

making my lips water now

had dinner there at the duke's three times up to now. NOT the new NB branch. go back home wanting to drink lots and lots of water. sometimes that happens when i've had too much MSG in my meals.

secret to their success?

I have a little more insight into this subject than most and can confirm that MSG is not even a remote consideration when considering your dry throat syndrome after eating at the Dukes.

making my lips water now

secret to their success?

I have a little more insight into this subject than most and can confirm that MSG is not even a remote consideration when considering your dry throat syndrome after eating at the Dukes.

perhaps u are right and maybe its just me. but i sure feel MSG when i've had some. and it was surely not the cup of tea that i had in the evening.

Perhaps, because I own a business. I am more sensitive to this than most people, but if you owned the Duke's, I bet you would like it if people had to have just a little proof that their little intuitions were correct instead of posting them just in case?

We are talking about someone's income here. :o

Perhaps, because I own a business. I am more sensitive to this than most people, but if you owned the Duke's, I bet you would like it if people had to have just a little proof that their little intuitions were correct instead of posting them just in case?

We are talking about someone's income here. :D

if i had to prove anything, i'll write a thesis on it. but on this forum, numerous such opinions have been made and i reckon that it shall continue to be made; and never have i encountered someone this sensitive to opinions. Best part is that you are not even the owner. :o

especially on something like MSG! :D

making my lips water now

secret to their success?

MSG is a big deal to a lot of people and several other folks have disagreed with you besides me.

You sure that he isn't throwing some cyanide in there too? :D

And once again, the Dukes does not use MSG in their food preparation - FACT. I'm with Ulysees G on this in that this the theme is not helpful to the owners business and is completely unnecessary..

And once again, the Dukes does not use MSG in their food preparation - FACT. I'm with Ulysees G on this in that this the theme is not helpful to the owners business and is completely unnecessary..

CM I agree with you on this - I can taste MSG if it has been added and have never detected it in anything from the Dukes, not that I have eaten there very much. However some people have a very hightened sesitivity to MSG and if for example Tiger Beer had a pizza with a tomato sauce base, he has in fact ingested some MSG because it is a product found naturally in both wheat flour and tomato. If the tomato concrentrate come from a tin/can it intensifies. Secondly if the Duke uses meat tenderiser or taste enhancer in his burgers (commonly done) it will have traces of both products and hence have small amounts of MSG.

Bottom line is that having had a burger there without detecting any trace of MSG I think it very unlikely that he is using it. I have had a steak and ribs and there was no trace that I could detect in the sauce for either. I also had a pizza and that would be the most likely culprit but again could detect no trace. TigerBeer if you are hypersensitive to MSG you may want to emphasise to the staff not to add ANY flavour enhancers and avoid anything that uses tomato or wheat compounds.

I agree with both Chiang Mai and UG that we have to be cognitive to the fact that this forum is widely read and can have a direct effect on the owners livelyhood. If you have a problem I think it is much better to take it up with the owner direct. Most of the owners of these businesses don't have the time or inclination to read and reply to what is written here and I would hate to see a business go bust in CM because of a personal opinion expressed on the forum. We need more businesses like these to support the city and they need all the help we can give them.

my rant :o

CB

CM I agree with you on this - I can taste MSG if it has been added and have never detected it in anything from the Dukes, not that I have eaten there very much. However some people have a very hightened sesitivity to MSG and if for example Tiger Beer had a pizza with a tomato sauce base, he has in fact ingested some MSG because it is a product found naturally in both wheat flour and tomato. If the tomato concrentrate come from a tin/can it intensifies. Secondly if the Duke uses meat tenderiser or taste enhancer in his burgers (commonly done) it will have traces of both products and hence have small amounts of MSG.

Bottom line is that having had a burger there without detecting any trace of MSG I think it very unlikely that he is using it. I have had a steak and ribs and there was no trace that I could detect in the sauce for either. I also had a pizza and that would be the most likely culprit but again could detect no trace. TigerBeer if you are hypersensitive to MSG you may want to emphasise to the staff not to add ANY flavour enhancers and avoid anything that uses tomato or wheat compounds.

I agree with both Chiang Mai and UG that we have to be cognitive to the fact that this forum is widely read and can have a direct effect on the owners livelyhood. If you have a problem I think it is much better to take it up with the owner direct. Most of the owners of these businesses don't have the time or inclination to read and reply to what is written here and I would hate to see a business go bust in CM because of a personal opinion expressed on the forum. We need more businesses like these to support the city and they need all the help we can give them.

my rant :D

CB

you are right CB, UG, Chiangmai, Wai Wai. perhaps i did take too much salt on all instances of my dining there. i do enjoy dining at Dukes very much though. Just thought that there might have been some trace of MSG in some of their dishes. I am not sure but it might be the batter that came with the Fried CHicken steak. Possibilities of the batter being made elsewhere?

whatever it was, my apologies to the duke's people. it was wrong of me to give my opinions before knowing the facts. as i have mentioned in some other threads on this forum before, dukes has a wonderful range of food dishes at an excellent price. and wish duke's all the best especially for their second branch. :D for all its worth, :o

I thought about this later and I do remember Dave telling me that the secret to some of the most well known fast food type products - like In & Out Burgers - is using a lot of salt.

When I complimented his pizza, but said it wasn't quite perfect, he suggested adding extra salt and I have to admit that adding a little more made it taste like the pizzas that I remember back home.

It sounds like tigerbeer got something with a little TOO much salt to start with and perhaps - without tasting his food first - even added some of his own. That would definately be overkill. :o

whatever it was, my apologies to the duke's people. it was wrong of me to give my opinions before knowing the facts. as i have mentioned in some other threads on this forum before, dukes has a wonderful range of food dishes at an excellent price. and wish duke's all the best especially for their second branch. :D for all its worth, :o

Tigerbeer, you might want to consider printing out your post and taking it along to Dukes on your next visit there. They might be inspired to offer you a free drink or meal of your choice for your honesty and sincerity! :D:D

I am afraid I have a slightly different perspective on this. I only hope I do not, once again get flamed for expressing my opinions here.

I have owned and run many successful restaurants over the last thirty plus years. I honestly feel I owe most of my success to press reviews that were highly critical of aspects of my businesses that I could and did change.

An example:

In 1982 I opened a Thai restaurant that was reviewed by Fay Maschler after we had been open less than a month. (Fay was then the London Evening Standard's senior reviewer.) She slammed us, but with highly constructive criticism of problems I should have seen myself.

I rectified the problems within hours of the review being published and shortly thereafter we were reviewed by Time Out, who praised us to the stars.

This restaurant went on to win a multitude of awards, both at home and overseas. Amongst many, The Thai Daily News named us as the best Thai restaurant outside Thailand and the London Times as the Best Ethnic Restaurant in Britain. None of this would have occurred without Fay's first, highly critical review.

When I offer a criticism of an establishment, I do so in the hope that the owner/manager will be made aware of the problems I highlight and will have the opportunity to take remedial action.

These threads deifying restaurants like the Dukes do not really help. They smack of advertising or marketing on the cheap: "A free drink if you get your mates to post good things about my new bar/pub/club/restaurant on Thaivisa." An impression made all the more strong if dissenting voices are not permitted without being flamed off the board.

If a place is good, customers will come, word of mouth will see to that. A listing in the Places to Eat in Chiang Mai will help to publicise it too.

On the other hand, no matter how much you might praise a bad place, it WILL fail unless somebody has the gall to tell the owner/manager personally, or to post the problems in the public domain on Thaivisa or elsewhere. If the guy in charge has any professionalism at all, he will take note of the criticism of his business and will rectify the problem. You can be sure somebody else will shortly post that this business is now worth patronising, and customers will start coming in in ever greater numbers.

I'm afraid I have little time or respect for business owners who are always on the defensive about their business. Being defensive makes failure likely. Accepting critique and resolving problems when brought to their attention will, in many cases, turn certain failure into a strong likelihood of success.

I am afraid I have a slightly different perspective on this. I only hope I do not, once again get flamed for expressing my opinions here.

I have owned and run many successful restaurants over the last thirty plus years. I honestly feel I owe most of my success to press reviews that were highly critical of aspects of my businesses that I could and did change.

An example:

In 1982 I opened a Thai restaurant that was reviewed by Fay Maschler after we had been open less than a month. (Fay was then the London Evening Standard's senior reviewer.) She slammed us, but with highly constructive criticism of problems I should have seen myself.

I rectified the problems within hours of the review being published and shortly thereafter we were reviewed by Time Out, who praised us to the stars.

This restaurant went on to win a multitude of awards, both at home and overseas. Amongst many, The Thai Daily News named us as the best Thai restaurant outside Thailand and the London Times as the Best Ethnic Restaurant in Britain. None of this would have occurred without Fay's first, highly critical review.

When I offer a criticism of an establishment, I do so in the hope that the owner/manager will be made aware of the problems I highlight and will have the opportunity to take remedial action.

These threads deifying restaurants like the Dukes do not really help. They smack of advertising or marketing on the cheap: "A free drink if you get your mates to post good things about my new bar/pub/club/restaurant on Thaivisa." An impression made all the more strong if dissenting voices are not permitted without being flamed off the board.

If a place is good, customers will come, word of mouth will see to that. A listing in the Places to Eat in Chiang Mai will help to publicise it too.

On the other hand, no matter how much you might praise a bad place, it WILL fail unless somebody has the gall to tell the owner/manager personally, or to post the problems in the public domain on Thaivisa or elsewhere. If the guy in charge has any professionalism at all, he will take note of the criticism of his business and will rectify the problem. You can be sure somebody else will shortly post that this business is now worth patronising, and customers will start coming in in ever greater numbers.

I'm afraid I have little time or respect for business owners who are always on the defensive about their business. Being defensive makes failure likely. Accepting critique and resolving problems when brought to their attention will, in many cases, turn certain failure into a strong likelihood of success.

Well said.

JxP

Well said, p1p :o:D:D .

Indeed, deification can cause some potential customers to feel disinclined to visit :D.

Tigerbeer, my suggestion of salt was in no way meant to undermine your own observations. Salt just seemed a likelier culprit than msg in a western restaurant.

Remember the claims that McDonald's added sugar and salt to their hamburger buns to create a feeling of wanting more food ? It's one, deliberate, effect of the additives in modern, highly-processed foods.

Edited by WaiWai

An example:

I agree with much of what you have written but would wish to point out that criticism is only useful if it is valid and is based on fact, not on hearsay and definitely not on suspicion.

. . . These threads deifying restaurants like the Dukes do not really help. They smack of advertising or marketing on the cheap: "A free drink if you get your mates to post good things about my new bar/pub/club/restaurant on Thaivisa." . . .

I enjoyed your entire post that this is from, but since it appeared just after the post in which I encouraged tigerbeer "to consider printing out your post and taking it along to Dukes on your next visit there. They might be inspired to offer you a free drink or meal of your choice for your honesty and sincerity!" I want to say for the record that I was joking! :o

If a place is good, customers will come, word of mouth will see to that.

I'm afraid I have little time or respect for business owners who are always on the defensive about their business.

there are three places in CM that i don't go to because they seem to require shills on this board to attract customers. since others, also, seem to enjoy them, i am sure i am missing out on some good food, but it is just a thing i have about shills.

. . . These threads deifying restaurants like the Dukes do not really help. They smack of advertising or marketing on the cheap: "A free drink if you get your mates to post good things about my new bar/pub/club/restaurant on Thaivisa." . . .

I enjoyed your entire post that this is from, but since it appeared just after the post in which I encouraged tigerbeer "to consider printing out your post and taking it along to Dukes on your next visit there. They might be inspired to offer you a free drink or meal of your choice for your honesty and sincerity!" I want to say for the record that I was joking! :D

######, i just wasted toner. i'll recycle the paper. its ok. :o

An excellent and balance post - well put.

I am happy to write and support a place if I honestly believe it deserves it. As an aside to this I had dinner with Ron at CM saloon on Friday night. We spoke about a number of things and that included what I wrote in Thai Visa - I stand by what I said and he agreed. We both said that to truly support a restaurant or business in Thailand use the following piece of advice:

If you are unhappy about something speak to the owner who is the ONLY person able to make a difference. He may or may not agree and may or may not make any changes but is the person who is in charge.

If you are happy about something - tell everyone.

Businesses like UG, David at the Duke, Ron at CM Saloon are highly depended on support, making a business anywhere is not easy and to do it in Chiang Mai is much harder than most. There was a reviewer in Sydney who was very good - ex restauranter and very good - he would do a review at the meal, then if he had criticism he would send the restaurant the review and offer to meet with them to discuss. Normally he would not retract it because a review was his personal impression however he would give them the opportunity and revisit 3 months later. If he thought they had addressed the issue he would write a second review and say what they (the restaurant) had done to rectify the problem and would still offer further comments. Businesses that got the second review had almost invariably become extremely good but he would then follow another three to six months later to check if they had maintained the standard. I used to go to one place that I thought was pretty good but not that great - they were slammed in the paper much to their anger and horror. The owner was a Singaporian and his Malay wife agreed to meet and discussed. They sat down and went through the whole deal and even got some great recipes and excellent advice. Three months later they got an unanounced visit and had a great piece in the paper as a result - I couldn't get a bl**dy seat for dinner for the next three months as a result. It was the best thing that happened to them and this is the big thing - they were lucky they could overcome their initial anger and see what was really happening to them by an impartial but informed visitor as apposed to the usual - "yeah it was nice - thanks for the meal, see you in a couple of weeks".

I am still really hoping we get to see P1P do a restaurant - go Cajun go Cajun repeat after me go Cajun

CB

If you are unhappy about something speak to the owner who is the ONLY person able to make a difference. He may or may not agree and may or may not make any changes but is the person who is in charge.

If you are happy about something - tell everyone.

I agree about this, in part.

I will always tell people about somewhere I am happy with.

In a previous life, I spent some time anonymously reviewing restaurants on behalf of a fairly well known and respected guide. While so doing I had to abide by the, "Thank you for the meal, maybe see you again" sort of approach. So I have got into the habit of putting things in print, rather than in person.

There are advantages about putting things in print or on screen, rather than reporting in person:

Speaking as a restaurateur; sometimes it is difficult to see the wood for the trees, especially when you are in the middle of a busy service period. A complaining customer needs to be quickly mollified and forgotten while other immediate problems are attended to. I pay much more attention to something I can read and mull over, especially if it is in the public domain.

Another problem with reporting directly to the person in charge is the "Who the #$$#@@# do you think you are, telling me how to run my business" response, which I have experienced more than once. This can get quite ugly.

In addition to that, a large proportion of restaurant businesses are run by a minor partner or manager, while the owner / main shareholder is elsewhere. They benefit most from a report in print. The owner would be unlikely to be made aware of the problem by an incompetent. When you request to meet the "Owner", you can never be sure if you are meeting the main man, or said incompetent.

Lastly, there is a responsibility to the readership. If a place is otherwise good, but serves disgusting soup, you want people to be aware of it and order anything but the soup until they replace their soup chef.

If a place is a disaster, the readership deserve to know so they don't waste their time and hard earned lucre there.

I will almost always give a place a second chance, unless they were genuinely dangerous. If they have improved, I will say so. I don't think I have ever given somewhere two bad reviews.

Just for amusement, I would like to tell a little reviewers story related to me by one of my old colleagues.

He was reviewing a Vietnamese restaurant in Central London. (The place is long since closed down.) One of the dishes he ordered was a wild mushroom soup/stew.

When he was served the mushroom soup, he tasted it and found it was totally different from his expectation. He fished around in it and found some strange shaped pieces of meat. When he called the waitress, she tried to claim they were mushrooms - then tried to remove the dish from the table.

He kept the dish and poured it into a plastic bag.

Cutting a long story short, the meat was from deep frozen, imported rice-field rats, perfectly clean and tasty but illegal to sell in London. They were offered on the Vietnamese language portion of the menu and resulted in the closure of the restaurant..

Just for amusement, I would like to tell a little reviewers story related to me by one of my old colleagues.

He was reviewing a Vietnamese restaurant in Central London. (The place is long since closed down.) One of the dishes he ordered was a wild mushroom soup/stew.

When he was served the mushroom soup, he tasted it and found it was totally different from his expectation. He fished around in it and found some strange shaped pieces of meat. When he called the waitress, she tried to claim they were mushrooms - then tried to remove the dish from the table.

He kept the dish and poured it into a plastic bag.

Cutting a long story short, the meat was from deep frozen, imported rice-field rats, perfectly clean and tasty but illegal to sell in London. They were offered on the Vietnamese language portion of the menu and resulted in the closure of the restaurant..

Every year in Cambodia they have the rice rat festival which I know sounds disgusting but they aren't feral, garbage eating vermin. They are often quite large and very tasty. I went one year and had a great time - the locals eat the tails - deep fried with lots of salt with their rice whisky - potent and cheap so very popular. In the markets you can buy live or butchered rats and the kids walk around with live rats for sale.

post-36525-1175510429_thumb.jpg

Can't see it making the "specials sheet at the Duke" though - ratatouille perhaps?

CB