Just Installed a well in Isaan

bwpage3

On 12/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, bwpage3 said:

The water coming out of the well was clear enough to drink right out of the tap

I suggest you invest 200ish baht in a "TDS" meter from Ali Express. 

THB 142.11  6%OFF | Digital TDS Meter Aquarium Pool Water Quality Testing Pen Water Purity Filter Accurate Monitor TDS Temp Meter watertest meter
https://a.aliexpress.com/dnrWDCP

Anything less than 50 is reckoned ok to drink. Our well water reads 400, and rots out or precipitates calcium and rust on everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

DId anyone heard or know you have to report your well to guess landoffice.

My Thai wife made a well, but her mother told her she should report it. Thats how we found out. 

If you dont do , you can get a fine. So she did.

Also that the water needed to be tested on its condition.

You have to take a sample, bottle of water and bring it to test, not the land office but a laboratory. 

Is this nation wide, regulated by government or just by province?

For deep well you have to get a permit from tesaban/TAO before drilling and the driller has to be certified. There is a bit of paperwork involved, usually taken care of by the driller 

On 12/26/2019 at 6:41 AM, xtrnuno41 said:

DId anyone heard or know you have to report your well to guess landoffice.

My Thai wife made a well, but her mother told her she should report it. Thats how we found out. 

If you dont do , you can get a fine. So she did.

Also that the water needed to be tested on its condition.

You have to take a sample, bottle of water and bring it to test, not the land office but a laboratory. 

Is this nation wide, regulated by government or just by province?

We had the village chief come over for dinner, he was happy to see a well going in and that was that.

He was in fact the one that recommended the well diggers

Very rural area with no govt offices nearby

On 12/26/2019 at 10:42 AM, Grusa said:

THB 142.11  6%OFF | Digital TDS Meter Aquarium Pool Water Quality Testing Pen Water Purity Filter Accurate Monitor TDS Temp Meter watertest meter

Anything less than 50 is reckoned ok to drink. Our well water reads 400, and rots out or precipitates calcium and rust on everything.

Don't need anything from China as we brought our own from the USA.

Regarding the comments on TDS, this measurement is not to be relied on for safe drinking. It is a reasonable guide to the electrical/ionic conductivity only and does not tell you if the ions are associated with toxic minerals or not. Please, for your own safety, get your water tested by an accredited laboratory before drinking.

You may find this link interesting; https://www.uwyo.edu/uwe/pubs/b1183/_files/tds.pdf

A certain level of minerals in water is beneficial to health so you don't really need extremely low TDS values for your drinking water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

A certain level of minerals in water is beneficial to health so you don't really need extremely low TDS values for your drinking water.

Questionable? the lower the better IMO, whenever I buy bottled water when out and about I look at TDS & PH. "Many" so called experts state that we should not be getting minerals from our water, can actually be damaging, I read quite a bit about it some years back, forgotten most of the theory now, but came to the decision low TDS is better, unless you are selling mineral water, they think differently.

6 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Not true in all cases.

We had the village headman recommend a local company, who came and drilled with no permit, certification or anything.

This is the part of Isaan, now get this?

I bought a Honda Motorbike in 2004. When we moved back to the USA we gave it to my father in law who is still still driving it to this day with the same license plate it had in 2004. It has never had the registration updated.

This is a very rural part of Isaan with no govt offices, police or anything.  

No one cares, people are just too busy trying to survive

Life had not changed one bit since I left in 2014.

That doesn't contradict what I was writing about the need for permit and the process of obtaining it. Same goes for your FIL - the fact that he has been riding an unregistered vehicle for 5 years doesn't make it "allowed coz it's isaan".

BTW - the fact it's the same plate it had in 2004 is irrelevant. In Thailand change of ownership / paying registration isn't followed by a change of plate even if the new owner lives in a different province (as long as the change of ownership was registered at the original province's DLT). You can keep using plates from original province for as long as you like while living in another province.

I know of a person who got a permission from his village's chief (in writing) to drill a well on a plot of land on which such permits can't be given (also in a very rural area alas not in isaan). While the drilling crew were preparing the equipment a neighbor called the authorities and they came and stopped it before it even started.

My neighbour in Oz has a bore to the same underground aquifer as mine. Both water tested practically the same. I installed rainwater tanks for drinking water. He drank the bore water. The water is hard with a high TDS. His wife spent a very painful episode with stones forming in her gall bladder or kidneys, (can't remember which) as a direct result of the water. They now have rainwater tanks too.

Edited by emptypockets

6 hours ago, CGW said:

Questionable? the lower the better IMO, whenever I buy bottled water when out and about I look at TDS & PH. "Many" so called experts state that we should not be getting minerals from our water, can actually be damaging, I read quite a bit about it some years back, forgotten most of the theory now, but came to the decision low TDS is better, unless you are selling mineral water, they think differently.

RO water should be real pure water and they say you should add minerals to it, to drink it.

WIth pure water drinking you could desalt your body. That is what i red.

Guess also depends on what you are eating then and you have the minerals from the food.

With sweating you lose minerals, thats why sports(wo)men drink mineralized water.

6 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

That doesn't contradict what I was writing about the need for permit and the process of obtaining it. Same goes for your FIL - the fact that he has been riding an unregistered vehicle for 5 years doesn't make it "allowed coz it's isaan".

BTW - the fact it's the same plate it had in 2004 is irrelevant. In Thailand change of ownership / paying registration isn't followed by a change of plate even if the new owner lives in a different province (as long as the change of ownership was registered at the original province's DLT). You can keep using plates from original province for as long as you like while living in another province.

I know of a person who got a permission from his village's chief (in writing) to drill a well on a plot of land on which such permits can't be given (also in a very rural area alas not in isaan). While the drilling crew were preparing the equipment a neighbor called the authorities and they came and stopped it before it even started.

Not all is doom and gloom as you try to paint it

I told you the way it is in this village and that is exactly the way it is in this village.

Everyone knows a person that is all full of doom and gloom

Good for you to be lucky to know such fun people

Because you knew one person changes nothing, it's a story and nothing more

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Look on the package, it will probably say "Made in China"

You a fortune teller? 

It probably doesn't say anything you claim, that is why is was brought from the US

If you have to resort to posting something this ridiculous, well I would hate to live like that

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing the story, will be back in Thailand and I was thinking about a well (we are in Khon Kaen) , $1,000 or about, sound like a reasonable price. We have city water which is relatively inexpensive,and good quality, but not to drink, I don't think I would trust well water to drink also.

When in the US We are in Palm Coast, sister is in Boynton beach. Where in FL are guys at?  

Palm Bay, Florida. (Now have 45 Thai fruit trees on our property.)

With all the Thai people, Thai grocery stores, temples, etc. isn't it about the same as living in Thailand?

My wife doesn't miss a thing being here and actually does not want to move back to Thailand ever.

Her village is about 65 km nw of Khon Kaen.

Well quote was 37,000 thb

Holding tank was additional 3k with all the pvc to connect it up

Concrete pad was done by my father in law

Roof and structure materials cost was around 8k which my brother in law did all the assembly and welding

I did buy him a welder and chop saw which made the job very quick and easy

• Like 2

On 1/3/2020 at 8:30 AM, bwpage3 said:

Palm Bay, Florida. (Now have 45 Thai fruit trees on our property.)

With all the Thai people, Thai grocery stores, temples, etc. isn't it about the same as living in Thailand?

My wife doesn't miss a thing being here and actually does not want to move back to Thailand ever.

Her village is about 65 km nw of Khon Kaen.

Well quote was 37,000 thb

Holding tank was additional 3k with all the pvc to connect it up

Concrete pad was done by my father in law

Roof and structure materials cost was around 8k which my brother in law did all the assembly and welding

I did buy him a welder and chop saw which made the job very quick and easy

We are in Palm Coast , a couple of Hrs north of you , This morning we had frost on the car windows. 

I find myself in a similar situation as you, with wife being happy in Fl . We have the temple in Orlando, huge Asian market 10 min from our house nice weather and T.J. Max , Ross, and two factory outlet malls 20 min away, and plenty of Thai friends in the area,  what more can a Thai girl want.  I am afraid it was a mistake bringing her to the states LOL

37.000 is not too bad. We are just outside the Khon Kaen Ring road, so it might be a little more expensive for as, but i always wanted a well.

If I can peel my wife away from Florida, we will be in Thailand this spring. 

65 km is not that far from KK, I would say a little less than an Hour.

Anyway. Thanks again for starting this thread it gave me a couple of ideas.

22 hours ago, sirineou said:

We are in Palm Coast , a couple of Hrs north of you , This morning we had frost on the car windows. 

I find myself in a similar situation as you, with wife being happy in Fl . We have the temple in Orlando, huge Asian market 10 min from our house nice weather and T.J. Max , Ross, and two factory outlet malls 20 min away, and plenty of Thai friends in the area,  what more can a Thai girl want.  I am afraid it was a mistake bringing her to the states LOL

37.000 is not too bad. We are just outside the Khon Kaen Ring road, so it might be a little more expensive for as, but i always wanted a well.

If I can peel my wife away from Florida, we will be in Thailand this spring. 

65 km is not that far from KK, I would say a little less than an Hour.

Anyway. Thanks again for starting this thread it gave me a couple of ideas.

My wife has No desire to move back to Thailand.

She has everything she could ever want here and lives in luxury and has access to anything Thai she needs.

Lots of great places in the Caribbean

She loved Aruba same as me

Looking at Turks and Caicos in the next 3 months or one of the other exotic islands

Going back to Thailand for the first time in 6 years? It just appeared everything had gotten worse. 

Glad to be home in Florida

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

CUT

Going back to Thailand for the first time in 6 years? It just appeared everything had gotten worse. 

Glad to be home in Florida

Got back from 3 weeks in Florida a few months ago. It just appeared everything had gotten worse. Glad to be home in Isaan Thailand.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SkyFax said:

Got back from 3 weeks in Florida a few months ago. It just appeared everything had gotten worse. Glad to be home in Isaan Thailand.

If you don't think Thailand has gotten worse? Do you read the news?

Air quality is horrendous and that's a fact.

Costs are up.

Exchange rate is pathetic.

Plenty of examples to educate yourself with.

On 12/25/2019 at 7:58 AM, fishtank said:

Not a good idea. It might look clear but could contain anything.

A simple counter top water filter will make it drinkable for around 1,000 Baht.

A  test can be done for a few  thousand which  gives  you exactly whats in it, the  drilling round here (Prachuapkhirikhan) is a  closed  shop I reckon, had to pay 150k  odd about 5  years  ago.

So  youve tested for cadmiuim, zinc and other  things?

On 12/25/2019 at 10:24 AM, bwpage3 said:

We just dug a well in Nong Rua and the drillers told us they had drilled 5000 wells and all have clean water.

Like  many things here  theyll  tell you  anything you want to hear.

On 12/25/2019 at 6:01 PM, fishtank said:

I would be very surprised if any water from a deep bore here is drinkable without some kind of filtering.

Plenty of septic tanks up in Isaan!

Our water looks great but after a while showers toilets washing machines were all corroded up

Vary wildly even within 100  metres  of each other, I have two, both clear and both tested in Bangkok at a   lab, almost the same except for one  big  difference, dissolved minerals, one  very high the other very  low one 1200ppm the other 18ppm one 4000lit hour the other 1000lit hour from memory...got the tests  somewhere

On 12/26/2019 at 9:42 AM, Grusa said:

It's not just the number, it's the analysis/breakdown.  Especially if you're in a mining area where arsenic has been introduced...  And as some others have suggested, there's other heavy metals and chemicals that are harmful even in very low concentrations.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/57de/a70b51c55fc1cb8139c0ce144d19a32138df.pdf

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1