Just Installed a well in Isaan

bwpage3

3 minutes ago, smiggley said:

I live in Chaiyaphum and have been told not to bother about drilling a well because the water is brackish, not good quality, any suggestions.

We just dug a well in Nong Rua and the drillers told us they had drilled 5000 wells and all have clean water.

Nong Rua is about 2 hour NE of Chaiyaphum

• Like 2

Our 2 year old bore is 30mt deep. The missus has the garden hose on 8 hours++ a day not to mention normal household consumption 8 showers per day. I am amazed it has not dried up yet. I was sceptical about how good the quality of the water would be. Previously we got water from a well and it was full of sediment. The bore water is very clear and I had to eat my hat. Water for human consumption is run through a reverse osmosis system. I have never had the water tested.... Most of my drinking fluids come from Leo. I have only lived in Burriram for 6 years and water is really scarce. Some dams are so dry that they have dug dams inside of dams. Our farm did not even get a rice harvest this year.

• Like 2

Our well (pump) is only about 30 m and supplies clear water since about 4 years.

It's clear but a lot of limestone and we do not drink it.

Water always muddy?

Must be a local thing.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, fishtank said:

I would be very surprised if any water from a deep bore here is drinkable without some kind of filtering.

Plenty of septic tanks up in Isaan!

Our water looks great but after a while showers toilets washing machines were all corroded up

You can be skeptical all you want.

Does the evidence of a water test have any validation over your skepticism?

Why do people test anything?

To gain factual knowledge that is not skeptical in nature from non-experts.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 12/25/2019 at 10:09 AM, bwpage3 said:

You ever think some people might be educated in Biology and other related things, enough so to test the water?

We did bring the water testing kit from the USA, because you know? We know a few things about things like that.

Not everything works out to be doom and gloom!

Then you should have written that 'after testing' the clear water was determined to be drinkable. You leave out an important part and then chastise someone for not realizing you'd brought a testing kit from Florida ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Aspaltso said:

I don't know if I'm justified in my concern for falling water tables in Issan or in other parts of Thailand for that matter. With so many farmers, and residences in the region drilling wells this ought to be a cause for concern in the future. I look at the state of California as an example where mass water drilling for farmers has reduced its water table dramatically and many areas of the central valley (the most productive agricultural region in the world) have turned into a modern day dust bowl. Regions of Issan could follow for sure.

No drop of water table in my part of isaan. All about me at 4 meters and ponds do not go dry.

image.png.107f55c49c5de53d9d3019be89fe9270.png

Edited by khwaibah
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Aspaltso said:

I don't know if I'm justified in my concern for falling water tables in Issan or in other parts of Thailand for that matter. With so many farmers, and residences in the region drilling wells this ought to be a cause for concern in the future. I look at the state of California as an example where mass water drilling for farmers has reduced its water table dramatically and many areas of the central valley (the most productive agricultural region in the world) have turned into a modern day dust bowl. Regions of Issan could follow for sure.

The California experience is unique thank goodness. The amount of water extracted is measured in hundreds if not thousands of cubic metres per day. This is faster than the underground reservoirs can be replenished. The result of this is wide scale subsidence and sink holes. Hopefully this will never happen in Thailand. Our rainy season is generally enough to take care of agricultural needs and there have been plenty of experiences with mineral laden water reducing crop quality to make farmers wary of using borehole water for irrigation. However I share you concerns for the future. I would hate to have to trek across the Isaan desert from one miserable water hole to the next. 

We have 2 wells on our property near Mahasarakham in Isan. One is at 10 m and the other at 40 m. The deep well seems similar to the OP with a similar yield. The most expensive item for that one was the below ground pump. On the driller's recommendation we got the more expensive American brand because he said they last longer.

The water table has been fine the 5 years we have been here. But I think the annual rainfall is trending downwards and more and more wells will be sunk by neighbours over the years. I suspect most of Isan will be the same.

bwpgage 3.  I have always wondered why I have been advised by many farangs not to do this, but wonder why I can't have a well dug where the family's rice grows and use the ground water for irrigation of the paddies and even maybe sell water to neighbor landowners.  I am told that it will take a deep well to get down to the water and have fairly clear water.  I would like comments on this or to my email at <<<<Email removed, please use PM to contact>>>>.  The rice fields are located about 30 kilometers South of Korat.  The nearest town is Chok Chai.  There is probably 20 Rai that is available to use the water.  Crops not grown this year due to drought.  Chok Chai Government does not seem to worry about getting water for Khon Buri and I forget what the big dam is called about 60 kilometers away.  Thanks for any responses.  Use my email as when I post I can't seem to read the replies.

Edited by metisdead
18) You will not post phone numbers, email addresses, business names, or web/Facebook/Twitter/Google+ addresses in posts or signatures.

Well done and I’m sure the in-laws are happy. We’ve a well up in NE village. Water the vegetable garden which Mama tends to out back of the house and sells vegetables to the local shops daily....

The price is awesome... when I was told we’re digging a well my first thought $$$.. not the case.

Thanks for sharing...

• Like 2

If you mean Terminal 21, I think they did a heck of a job with their concept. Their food court is the cheapest I've ever seen. They provide plenty of photo ops, which the Thais love. And high end Japanese toilets with a woman stationed in each restroom to welcome you and clean. They take good care of their customers. BTW Their new mall in Patts with an airplane outside is beating the pants off the competition.

Yes, merchandise prices are cheaper at the off-brand places. Just eat the food, take photos and relieve yourself. 5555

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi bwpage3 Merry Christmas a great post please forgive those that jumped on you with negativity. It sound to me Like your company did a very professional job with first 12" ,then 8" and the final 1" and at the depth they went to has built in fall back position. I sounds to me you have made in In laws very happy well done.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Had a bore, not a well, drilled about seven years ago in Isaan. About 30 metres. Simple 90mm PVC casing

From memory about 3_-3500 baht to drill and about 4000 baht for the pump.  The pump is above ground with a jet ( ejector) down the bore. This is the style where the seal uses the PVCcasing as on part of the system and the foot valve is connected to 25mm PVC lower down in the bore. Never seen this style before but not a bad idea at all. The bore pump in Oz is two pipes with the ejector ( or jet as some people ca it)) at the bottom.

Take 10k baht as the overall cost, lunch, beers etc etc

Only used for toilet, showers and garden. Not too hard water and can lather up in the shower but still buy water for drinking.

No idea why the OP  used a double serving of PVC piping. Or, apparently, a submersible pump

Very expensive.

We don't use a water tank but use a pump controller. Starts on loss of pressure but keeps the pump energised until zero flow is sensed. None of the on/off that is often experienced if a garden tap is only half open even when using a pressure tank. Or a bum gun 555

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Muhendis said:

There are two types of well. Borehole, which goes deep to access water stored below an impermeable layer and surface water which, as you may guess, is shallow and consists of whatever water can permeate through the soil from rainfall and runoff from the surrounding area. The borehole water tends to come from rocky layers which quite likely will be gypsum and will give you hard water containing calcium carbonate in amongst other minerals. Also this water will be under pressure which will force it up the bore pipe to within a few metres of the top. The water should never be muddy or contaminated with any human derived substances unlike surface well water which may contain all sorts including farming chemicals if close to farmed land. As has been said. A decent filtering system is needed which will make both types very drinkable although heavily mineralised borehole water is more difficult to deal with. My borehole (51 metres) water here in Buriram is heavily mineralised but just down the road about six kilometres there is a restaurant owner with a borehole of 30 metres which is relatively clear of minerals. Lucky b'gr.

A 'well' (pun alert) informed comment,thanks. A few months back I had a borehole drilled in Pak Chong to about 38 meters. I now understand why the water although clear leaves chalk deposits. 25k for the borehole including the submerged pump ( Italian brand) and pipe work. Later on we installed a 2000 liter holding tank married to a typical Mitsubishi surface pump (£5k). But the best thing was we had a guy who advised and fitted a float in the holding tank which automatically triggered the subterranean pump to switch on /off when the tank level fell. There’s a control unit on the wall for both pumps but basically we can just forget it and just turn taps on! We have 2 other good neighbors we allowed to tap into our system in return for reciprocal  favours. One dug out a tree with large roots out which was too near our house. Horrible job- so bargain!

• Like 1

On 12/25/2019 at 7:27 AM, bwpage3 said:

80 meters for the well depth.

The well has a sheath of PVC approximately 12" diameter. Insider that sheath is another sheath of 8" diameter, they installed the well pump and the actually waterline is 1" pipe in sections that screw together and can be removed, shortened or lengthened.

Drilling was a real dusty bitch and took almost all day. The ground was caked dry and has zero moisture.

The total cost of the well was 37,000 baht.

Those numbers are amazing. Almost unbelievable. I guess isaan is totally different from the north. Up here about 4 years ago the price for drilling was 900 baht/ meter using 3" PVC pipe. A year later it went up to 1000 baht using 4" PVC pipes. Then about 3 years ago during the bad drought the going price was 150k any dept with guarantee for water (not including the pump). I have never seen in this area a deep well dug at 12", nor 8". I know of 1 place that insisted on 5" and paid a much higher rate. 

The shortest drilling time I've seen in this area for such dept is 1 week. My well is 101 meter deep, 4", took about 3 weeks to dig (met some hard rocks that damaged the drilling heads so had to stop and fix them from time to time. 

Total cost for 101 meter deep including submerged pump (Italian, output 1.25"), 1x1 concrete pad and connecting PVC pipes to my water tower: 150k

• Like 1