Visa on arrival

If I just arrive at BKK airport with no visa I understand I get an automatic entry (VOE) to Thailand for 30 days?

Without doing any border runs, how long can I extend this for at Jomtien immigration? And cost?

What rules apply that may limit repeating this VOE and extension each year?

If I did 1 border run what additional time in country would that give, plus any related extension?

Many thanks

A visa on arrival only allows a 15 day entry. I assume you mean a 30 day visa exempt entry.

You can apply for a 30 day extension of the visa exempt entry for a fee of 1900 baht.

A border run would allow another 30 day visa exempt entry plus you could get another 30 day extension.

At land border crossings you can only do 2 visa exempt entries per calendar year. By air there is no limit on visa exempt entries but doing them back to back can cause you to be questioned about what you are doing here.

Many thanks ubonjoe.

Actually I don't know the difference between VOA and 30 day visa exempt entry?

If I just arrive at BKK airport with no visa. Just my passport what do I get? What do I need to do to get the 30 days as opposed to the 15 days? 

As an aside I assume 15 days cannot be extended?

So with a visa exempt entry I can stay for 60 days after 1 extension at jomtien immigration for 1,900 baht.

Thanks

I am from UK.

Is that the basis for the difference in either getting 15 or 30 days on arrival? That was/ is not clear to me as sounded more like I could get either. So is it the case UK citizens get the 30 day visa exempt entry and the 15 day VOA is therefore irrelevant?

8 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Actually I don't know the difference between VOA and 30 day visa exempt entry?

If I just arrive at BKK airport with no visa. Just my passport what do I get? What do I need to do to get the 30 days as opposed to the 15 days? 

A visa on arrival requires you to apply for it and normally pay a 2000 fee for it. It is only available for those from 21 countries.

You only need your passport and arrival card for the 30 day visa exempt entry.

See here to see if which one you qualify for. http://www.consular.go.th/main/contents/filemanager/VISA/Visa on Arrival/VOA.pdf

A 15 day voa entry cannot be extended.

So have i got this right - a VOA that costs 2,000 baht and I must apply for only gives me 15 days and cannot be extended? Whereas a visa exempt entry is automatically given on entry and I qualify. Costs nothing and can be extended? So thank god i am not in those 21 countries and i don't qualify for a VOA lol

Therefore, with no visa and just my passport and tm6 slip I get 30 days that can be extended at immigration for another 30 days for 1,900 baht. 

What is timeframe within which I go to get extension at immigration? I.e after (date) and not after (date)

Many thanks

Edited by twix38
Correction

Many thanks one and all.

Ubonjoe, do you have a working link as the one you posted above just says this site can't be reached?

Why is it that the 21 countries allowed VOA get a worse deal than others getting 30 day visa exempt entry and can just turn up at airport immigration after flying in?

Edited by twix38

14 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Many thanks one and all.

Ubonjoe, do you have a working link as the one you posted above not working?

You don't need that info. Your UK so you are given 30day stamp. It's referred to as visa exempt entry.

BTW being UK you also can receive visa exempt entry to Vietnam if you decide you wish to visit there. One bonus is that short visit to there you would obtain fresh visa exempt entry to Thailand.

The length of total time one wants to stay in Los determines best plans. Esp using visa exempt stays.

28 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Ubonjoe, do you have a working link as the one you posted above just says this site can't be reached?

It works for me. Try this PDF (just downloaded it from the link) VOA-Visa Exempt List (May 2019).pdf

28 minutes ago, twix38 said:

Why is it that the 21 countries allowed VOA get a worse deal than others getting 30 day visa exempt entry and can just turn up at airport immigration after flying in?

Just counties they did not want to give visa exempt entries to or travel restrictions set by a country on its citizens.