Smart tv ,wont play torrents

ivor bigun

Its Christmas and our son just bought us a massive curved smart tv ,its great ,not that my old 42 inch non smart tv wasnt,but there is a problem ,i rarely watch tv ,but download loads of older series from a few years ago that i rarely saw and play them on a usb ,great very few problems ,until now ,on the new tv most wont play ,it just wont play avi files ,anyone know what to do ,can it be made to work? most of the older torrents seem to be all avi .

thanks in advance .

9 hours ago, bartender100 said:

Download VLC Player, open video files with that, should work

How's that going to help playing movies on the TV?

I have a Samsung TV that plays most files, certainly plays .avi files. 

Occasionally there is a file it will not play, in which case I run it through a Video converter to change a file type that works.

I use the free "Vid Coder"  --  https://vidcoder.net/

Can you update the software on the TV?

????

58 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

How's that going to help playing movies on the TV?

I have a Samsung TV that plays most files, certainly plays .avi files. 

Occasionally there is a file it will not play, in which case I run it through a Video converter to change a file type that works.

I use the free "Vid Coder"  --  https://vidcoder.net/

Can you update the software on the TV?

????

the tv is the latest 65 bloody inch samsung curved screen, i have been using a ordinary samsung 42 inch  not smart tv (perfect) but my son thought dad should come into the "modern" age ,you know what they are like ,if their phone is 6 months old its "dated" 

its like being in the cinema????

3 minutes ago, tifino said:

what about trying the Smart TVs inbuilt basic browser, and stream directly 

I found many of the older series i wanted to watch ,they were on u tube ,but find that you have to watch them all ,there is no list so if you want ep say 20 you cant find it .

12 minutes ago, Madgee said:

I asked my friend who knows about these matters   (Google)

This article explains why and how to remedy.

https://www.easefab.com/topic-avi/play-avi-on-samsung-tv.html

Thanks for this ,i will give it to my son when he comes again at the weekend ,things that take me hours to figure out he does in a minute , just like when we were young ,lol 

Smart TVs are not full blown computers with all the codecs installed and using software to decode them. Most have a dedicated video decoder chip that only supports some formats. Some TVs may be able to install additional apps which add support for more codecs (standards of encoding of the files/streams) through their application stores, but on others you may be out of luck.

If VLC player exists for the TV in question, you may try to download and try that. It might support the files you're trying to play. Else you may either require an external box or re-encoding the files into a format your new TV understands.

To know what that is, open the manual of your TV and check supported formats in the Technical Specifications chapter.

54 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Thanks for this ,i will give it to my son when he comes again at the weekend ,things that take me hours to figure out he does in a minute , just like when we were young ,lol 

That involves having to convert the video. Not a good solution, as it's a bit of a waste of time.

If the TV cannot play them, you have a couple of choices. Buy a standalone media decoder that plugs in to the TV via HDMI or use a service that allows to to stream your content via the TV.

I have a similar issue, in that my TV cannot play certain MP4 media via USB.

But I use a service that allows me to stream the same MP4 media via the TV's Browser. I pay 90 baht per month to get that and more.

Maybe another thing worth mentioning here. If you're downloading torrents that are illegal rips or cinema/TV recordings, you may experience sound disappearing a few minutes into watching. That is probably due to Cinavia - where some beeps are encoded into the audio stream that tell the decoder what the stream is for (Cinema, TV, DVD, BluRay,...). If the player isn't what the file is for, it will disable audio.

Old players and OS didn't include Cinavia support. Windows 10 does. So do most recent media and Bluray players. The last one I know of that did not enforce Cinavia (and is overall very relaxed about copyright protection) is Oppo BDP-103/105. So you may wish to stick to noname products to avoid this hassle.

16 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Its Christmas and our son just bought us a massive curved smart tv ,its great ,not that my old 42 inch non smart tv wasnt,but there is a problem

No, there is not any problem. It´s just a very smart TV, that advice you to follow the law and not download or look at illegal content. Should have stuck with the old 42". Happy New Year!

2 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Aforementioned file conversion is the answer. Try this converter[Torrent file]

What file types does the TV support?

Ideally, you want 1080p .MKV rips. Why? Because they are very high quality. Avoid HEVC (x265) encodes because it is unlikely that the TV will play them - unless it has at least 4 gigs of ram, and the x265 codec is installed.

Aiseesoft Video Enhancer 9.2.22 + patch - Crackingpatching.zip.torrent 336 B · 0 downloads

I'm in the market for a new Android TV so I took a USB stick with a HEVC download to test on a new TCL. It played that format without a problem.

Well the problem is sorted ,our son is going to have the tv and buy me a new present ,so i am back with my samsung 42inch flat screen watching all the old series on avi and xvid  etc that i never watched years ago ????

funny how we get old ,i remember when i was a groovy dude in the late 60s and my dad trying to get his head around the fact that i had a velvet suit and suede shoes and a lambreta scooter with lots of lights on the front,i guess one day my boy will look at his son and say "i remember my smart tv ,was the latest thing ,and his son just says "yes dad but that was the old days" wonder what he will be trying to get his head around?

4 hours ago, hyku1147 said:

Aforementioned file conversion is the answer. Try this converter[Torrent file]

What file types does the TV support?

Ideally, you want 1080p .MKV rips. Why? Because they are very high quality. Avoid HEVC (x265) encodes because it is unlikely that the TV will play them - unless it has at least 4 gigs of ram, and the x265 codec is installed.

Aiseesoft Video Enhancer 9.2.22 + patch - Crackingpatching.zip.torrent 336 B · 1 download

HEVC works fine on LG's purchased about a year or two ago.

6 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Maybe another thing worth mentioning here. If you're downloading torrents that are illegal rips or cinema/TV recordings, you may experience sound disappearing a few minutes into watching. That is probably due to Cinavia - where some beeps are encoded into the audio stream that tell the decoder what the stream is for (Cinema, TV, DVD, BluRay,...). If the player isn't what the file is for, it will disable audio.

Old players and OS didn't include Cinavia support. Windows 10 does. So do most recent media and Bluray players. The last one I know of that did not enforce Cinavia (and is overall very relaxed about copyright protection) is Oppo BDP-103/105. So you may wish to stick to noname products to avoid this hassle.

Yeah, experienced this nuisance with blueray players a few times, this is why VLC, or better Plex, are great. A Plex server is magic as you can start watching a movie downstairs and the finish it in bed while you wife massages your gonads.

6 hours ago, tgw said:

you need to convert the files into a codec that's supported by the TV

Too slow and primitive. A smart seedbox service will allow you to stream Torrents directly via the TV. 

No need to download and save to a USB drive before you can try to play it, only to find you cannot because of missing codec. 

4 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Forget about USB. Buy HDMI cable and connect your computer to your tv.

Or get a Chrome cast and eliminate all the wires (Yes, AIS shops sell real ones) 

And to the poster who stated that: 

fat32 is what tends to work the best

Fat 32 has nothing to do with video, that is the standard for how hard drives or USB sticks handle memory either Fat 32 or NFTS

Samsung has an app in the AppStore called “Plex”

This will scan your computer hard drive, where you have your avi files stored.

Most file creators are aware of the naming protocol, and Plex will catalogue your system and provide an amazing interface on your TV.

New files that you download on your computer will magically appear on your TV interface and you stream them over your WiFi. The transcoding and streaming is handled by your computer.

There is no need for a usb stick, No need for a android tv box or chrome stick - your TV is these things already.

Google YouTube “setting up plex” and you will see a multitude of tutorials. It’s not complicated at all.

5 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Forget about USB. Buy HDMI cable and connect your computer to your tv.

My computer is in our computer room upstairs and the tv is in the living room ,dont think the wife would like a cable that long running along the landing all down stairs and across the dinning room to the living room ????

anywat as i said problem sorted ,using my old tv . our son has a nice curved screen tv to play his games on .

Archived