should a restaurant show, by law, a price including tax in a special menu?

Yabiaomer

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes it should be law to show prices included EVERYTHING....but hey this is the Land Of Scams.....

A little harsh, don't you think?

If anything, LOS should be accused of letting ignorant people visit their country.

When I am in my country, I know the score. I buy something from the menu, and I know if it is alcohol-related, I am taxed 9%. For food, I am taxed 6%. Then I have to consider the tip amount (15-20%).

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yabiaomer said:

I read a lot of interesting opinions here .. however, my question was mainly about the law in Thailand. The restaurants, supermarkets, markets and a lot more where I shop, even massage shops show prices including all. Should shops in Thailand, by law display prices including all? That's my question

Maybe, maybe not. It all depends on the laws of the land (err, country).

I've been visiting Thailand since 1997, and the rules have not changed. If you go to a hi-so restaurant, expect to be charged the 7% VAT and possibly a 15% tip. If you don't like it, then go to a mom&pop restaurant. Maybe even bring your own booze and ice.

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Saddic said:

You got off easy...  No manditory 10% "Service Charge"...  something I am seeing more and more of, sadly...

Sadly, the poor blokes that serve you at the restaurant only earn a mere pittance. Boss man does not want to pay anymore than the law dictates. Usually these hi-so restaurants are located in hi-so areas. The poor blokes at the restaurant cannot afford to live in that playground; most likely they travel from far away to work and please you.

At a minimum, you could stretch your wallet a wee bit more open to help those that serve you.

If you disagree, then I hope that the restaurant staff pisses in your drink and spits in your food, all the while pretending to laugh at your stupid jokes and comments.

P.S. My most recent bill at a restaurant was $95; I tipped $25. After all, it was Xmas eve.

Edited by Gumballl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gumballl said:

A little harsh, don't you think?

If anything, LOS should be accused of letting ignorant people visit their country.

When I am in my country, I know the score. I buy something from the menu, and I know if it is alcohol-related, I am taxed 9%. For food, I am taxed 6%. Then I have to consider the tip amount (15-20%).

Not harsh at all! 

When i'm in my country i will never ever get extra charged in a restaurant/bar because that's illegal by law and we have real police/inspectors who'll close that venture immediately if they break the law.

And that's how it's done!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Gumballl said:

Sadly, the poor blokes that serve you at the restaurant only earn a mere pittance. Boss man does not want to pay anymore than the law dictates. Usually these hi-so restaurants are located in hi-so areas. The poor blokes at the restaurant cannot afford to live in that playground; most likely they travel from far away to work and please you.

At a minimum, you could stretch your wallet a wee bit more open to help those that serve you.

If you disagree, then I hope that the restaurant staff pisses in your drink and spits in your food, all the while pretending to laugh at your stupid jokes and comments.

P.S. My most recent bill at a restaurant was $95; I tipped $25. After all, it was Xmas eve.

I always tip, In the US,

and in countries where the tip is included in the bill, because I don't know if the boss gives anything to the workers. And I always give the tip to the server not added to the bill. again for the above reason. 

simple thing. menu should mention prices do not include VAT 7%. If they do not state it, then its assumed that vat is included or not. Depends on what they declare and if they issue you a VAT bill.. Stay away from places that Charge u VAT when its not mentioned in their price menu. I give tip depending on how well the staff were in servicing their customers. 

sometimes i tip a lot. 

Edited by tigerbeer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Gumballl said:

If the service charge is paid out to the employees they make good money already, probably 1000THB+ per day.

If it's not paid out, then why should the tip which you give them on top be paid out? This would be sacked by the boss as well.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, fruitman said:

Not harsh at all! 

When i'm in my country i will never ever get extra charged in a restaurant/bar because that's illegal by law and we have real police/inspectors who'll close that venture immediately if they break the law.

And that's how it's done!

Then you should remain in your country, where the restaurant workers are paid a living wage by law.  It doesn't work that way here, nor in the U.S. where they rely on tips.  You've got to adjust to the local culture or stay home.

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Then you should remain in your country, where the restaurant workers are paid a living wage by law.  It doesn't work that way here, nor in the U.S. where they rely on tips.  You've got to adjust to the local culture or stay home.

You forgot the 3rd (and apparently very popular) option.  Walk around angry all the time.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, impulse said:

You forgot the 3rd (and apparently very popular) option.  Walk around angry all the time.

That is much better than just asking the pricing policy before you order if you care and don’t know.

why take small easy steps to avoid problems when you can get upset about them instead?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NancyL said:

The US is also a 3rd world country.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 9:36 PM, Don Mega said:

how in <deleted> does one eat a 7 course meal ?

Very small portions.

OR

They provide 7 different foods on one of those big revolving platters and one helps one's self to as much of the different choices as one wishes or likes.

OR

it's a buffet with 7 different foods on a big table.

It's Thailand. What they say may not mean what farangs think it means.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 12/27/2019 at 5:33 PM, NancyL said:

You should be heeding your own advice. They do not rely on tips (at least up until recently) and it is not their culture. It is people like yourself and gumball numpy that have tainted the place with your US-style percentage tipping. The only culture you have adjusted to is your own. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2019 at 6:25 PM, Gumballl said:

As above, you have no idea of the culture. Tipping like that does not show generosity, more senselessness and belittling... which is the way Thai people will view it despite the smiles.

• Like 1

Op, not sure on the law, but places often stack it on after. If not happy, point it out politely or don't visit again. If you want to tip, do so separately into the hand as just paying the VAT only and saying screw the tip means they won't get anything... similarly, our 'clued-up' friends here with their look-at-me-blatant-tips probably pay in one stack thinking the minions get a cut. Never mind. I'll get my coat...

OMG, I would be sooo triggered.  I would show them 100 YouTube videos on Canadian law and restaurant menus in Canada and then call the Canadian Embassy and ask if someone can come and impose Canadian Laws immediately!!!!!  

I've done this before, and after 10,000,000 hours of crying, yelling, and hating everyone.....I finally paid the 11 baht surcharge.   

Now I'm off to China and then North Korea to let them know about how things work in Ontario and Toronto and BC and PEI and explain it all!!!!