Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thai navy SEAL who took part in cave rescue dies after year-long infection

rooster59

17 hours ago, dcnx said:

Or they are smarter than a primate and the ignorance has finally worn them down. 

I’m more concerned about the people who don’t get irritated by their ignorance. Life standards must be pretty low.

the only ignorance I become irritated at are at those who have had so many more advantages than others in life but still manage to be a loser most of their lives..

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, ParkerN said:

Giving one's life only has merit if it is done by choice. Now I don't kow this man, never met him so unlike many, I'm not going to pronounce him a hero or anything else.

If he had a choice to die or not to die, I'll bet he would have chosen not to.

Hardly heroic, once you strip away the veneer we choose to decorate out heroes with. Most of them just aren't, despite the motivations we allege they felt.

We all tend to construct our reality to suit ourselves - and to make us feel good. And our dreams to be peopled with heroes and worthies that allow us to feel good by association. People in general aren't like that at all, but if we dwell on that we might feel disconsolate or depressed. Personally I prefer to live in the real worlds. Heroes are sadly in much shorter supply in the real world, but the imagined world is full of rose-coloured glasses so we can see what we choose to see.

There's a perfectly valid discussion to be had as to what constitutes heroism.If a man is ordered to perform a particular function that's dangerous, is that heroism? In the First World War infantrymen were ordered over the top and many were slaughtered.Is that heroism - particularly as they would have faced the firing squad if they had disobeyed orders.

I prefer to think the concept of duty is often a more helpful concept than heroism.This Thai Seal did his duty and should be honoured for it.

Sometimes "heroic" deeds are done for the most mundane of motives.

‘Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries’

These, in the day when heaven was falling,
The hour when earth’s foundations fled,
Followed their mercenary calling
And took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
They stood, and earth’s foundations stay;
What God abandoned, these defended,
And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E Housman

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

the only ignorance I become irritated at are at those who have had so many more advantages than others in life but still manage to be a loser most of their lives..

Many white middle class educated males fail to recognise privledge even when they look in the mirror

40 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

It's a sad thing for the Thai people.  They only have a few good men and now there is one less. 

What makes you think he was a good man John? There are half a dozen perfectly un-good reasons why he would have done what he did vis-a-vis the caving fiasco. Lets not assume he was a hero just because he is now departed... for all you and I know he could have got a fungal infection from his house (or tent or billet, whatever they have in Thailand). Would that make him a hero?

What is it with the eulogy for the dead anyway? Does a man who has been an icehole all his life suddenly become a saint by dying? If we could have less superstition in the world, it be a better place, or so I think anyway.

On 12/29/2019 at 5:28 PM, dcnx said:

I was told I had cancer about ten years ago. I didn’t. Not even sure how they can screw that up. Most of my encounters with doctors here have been a sh*t show. 

I know exactly what you are meaning, lets not go there

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I know exactly what you are meaning, lets not go there

Sorry, what are you meaning, and where are you going?  Please do tell us.

The OP's experience must have been horrendously traumatic and one no-one should go through - I couldn't even imagine that - but are you implying this is a Thai thing?

Unfortunately cancer gets misdiagnosed all the time, everywhere.  Here's a recent one from the UK where the lady even had chemo and a double mastectomy due to a wrong diagnosis a few months ago - she didn't have cancer.  Many more examples.

12 million wrong diagnoses occur in the US every year with a portion of those wrongly diagnosed cancer instances - thousands of people a year.  It is awful, but it is a complicated science and mistakes happen all the time, and all over the world, in white people's countries too.  Due to a multitude of reasons.

So please, tell us where we should not go - would love to know your thoughts rather than the usual hit-and-run bash.

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

Sorry, what are you meaning, and where are you going?  Please do tell us.

The OP's experience must have been horrendously traumatic and one no-one should go through - I couldn't even imagine that - but are you implying this is a Thai thing?

Unfortunately cancer gets misdiagnosed all the time, everywhere.  Here's a recent one from the UK where the lady even had chemo and a double mastectomy due to a wrong diagnosis a few months ago - she didn't have cancer.  Many more examples.

12 million wrong diagnoses occur in the US every year with a portion of those wrongly diagnosed cancer instances - thousands of people a year.  It is awful, but it is a complicated science and mistakes happen all the time, and all over the world, in white people's countries too.  Due to a multitude of reasons.

So please, tell us where we should not go - would love to know your thoughts rather than the usual hit-and-run bash.

Are you saying that the Thai medical system and the competence of Thai doctors are on a par with 1st world countries? Or Cuba even?

If you are then I beg to differ. If you are not, then you should say so such that it is more clear.

What relevance UK doctors have here in Thailand is not at all clear to me, except possible as a diversion, in which case the technique you use needs polishing.

46 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Are you saying that the Thai medical system and the competence of Thai doctors are on a par with 1st world countries? Or Cuba even?

If you are then I beg to differ. If you are not, then you should say so such that it is more clear.

What relevance UK doctors have here in Thailand is not at all clear to me, except possible as a diversion, in which case the technique you use needs polishing.

I'm sorry, but when someone clearly implies that a misdiagnosis is a uniquely Thai thing then the relevance of pointing out the same thing happens in the UK and Western countries an a daily basis is entirely relevant; sorry you can't see the obvious point for your blind dislike of everything to do Thailand.

Archived