Warren warns 'democracy hangs in the balance' in New Year's Eve speech

webfact

2 hours ago, lannarebirth said:

No they won't. It is the "deadbeat generation" and you can throw most of the Baby Boomers in with them.

Yes, it is our fault that the western world is in such a parlous state. We didn't discipline our kids enough. I say "we" as a generic, as I don't have kids myself.

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

Now I'm not a fan of your posts, or your support of trump,

Fair enough and visa versa.

However, don't look at it as me "supporting" Trump the man- I'm not a fan of billionaires, or millionaires for that matter- but look at it as supporting the best alternative, IMO, to the Dems, that IMO would destroy the USA ( and inevitably, IMO, the rest of the western world ) with their policies. I'd have supported Bernie, as he wasn't really a Dem, more an independent, apparently, and I liked that he would stick it to the unusually rich.

When they promoted HRC that was it for me. I said at the time I'd have supported a rock, over her. Warren, Biden, LOL. Both Washington through and through.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, xylophone said:

if they knew then what they know now about how stupid he is I doubt he would have been elected, but he has, and again, what were/are the options?

That IMO is where those that "dislike" Trump always go wrong. To believe that he is "stupid" is their biggest mistake, IMO. By doing so they underestimate the man, which is why he usually wins.

He and Boris are alike, IMO, in that they cultivate a persona that fools the opposition into thinking they are stupid, which means they can get what they want while the opposition are distracted and writing nasty things about them on social media.

what were/are the options?

Given the choice between her and him, him- the least bad of two bad choices.

Should Warren win the primaries, the same situation would arise at the election.

The Dems should be more concerned with finding an attractive candidate that can win against Trump than trying to convict him in the senate.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That IMO is where those that "dislike" Trump always go wrong. To believe that he is "stupid" is their biggest mistake, IMO. By doing so they underestimate the man, which is why he usually wins.

He and Boris are alike, IMO, in that they cultivate a persona that fools the opposition into thinking they are stupid, which means they can get what they want while the opposition are distracted and writing nasty things about them on social media.

Should Warren win the primaries, the same situation would arise at the election.

The Dems should be more concerned with finding an attractive candidate that can win against Trump than trying to convict him in the senate.

They don't seem to be willing to focus on offering a real alternative.  Or considering that the middle America also counts and votes.  Ala Bidens recent gaffe telling coal workers to become computer software code writers.  Completely out of touch.  

Instead it's all about "hate Trump".  The net result last election was a choice between a poop sandwich (Trump) and a bowl of vomit (Hillary).  This time around we get the same poop sandwich and a cold bowl of vomit (any of the current candidates).  Be ready for 4 more years.  

Edited by jimmybcool
board deleted another word for poop
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

They don't seem to be willing to focus on offering a real alternative.  Or considering that the middle America also counts and votes.  Ala Bidens recent gaffe telling coal workers to become computer software code writers.  Completely out of touch.  

Instead it's all about "hate Trump".  The net result last election was a choice between a poop sandwich (Trump) and a bowl of vomit (Hillary).  This time around we get the same poop sandwich and a cold bowl of vomit (any of the current candidates).  Be ready for 4 more years.  

IMO the Dems are so politically extreme now that no equivalent of Jack Kennedy is prepared to lead them, causing the Dems leadership to realise they had no show of finding someone capable of winning against Trump given the good economy, so they decided to embark on a campaign to remove him by political means, and hope the GOP couldn't find anyone better than their collection of, IMO, losers to contest the election.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think you're pretty much on the money here. I don't think he is smart but he certainly isn't stupid. Incompetent yes, but not stupid. Also venal, ruthless and completely self-absorbed - an icehole but not stupid. I think he's popular because many USA people see themselves in him, though what that says about them is not so clear to me.

I really don't see him getting elected again, but I don't see Warren getting the nod either. If Sanders doesn't get the go-ahead, then someone will who hasn't featured so far. Watch this space...

Either way, I do believe that USA as the potential shining city on a hill; the leader of the free world, is finished. Too many mistakes, too much hypocrisy; too many people have woken up to smell the coffee and instead were greeted by something a lot less wholesome. The Dems haven't got what it would take to resuscitate the corpse eitherThere's still a bit of bite in the old dawg, but not very much, it's just about all done and increasingly irrelevant now: too many folk are lining up to take a kick at the carcass, including a good few who T himself has called 'wonderful people', not that anyone with a brain believes a word he says. He's been lucky and the resurrection of the economy, though having little to do with him, was certainly timely, and he jumped on the bandwagon quick smart. He'll do well to stay out of prison for tax fraud if he doesn't win, and I think the loyalty of the Republicans will be the end of them in any event. Big changes coming over the pond. The triumvirate of Reagan, Bush Jnr and Trump has just about finished off the USA, and all that's left of the dog now is the fleas.

It was a fine experiment in egalitarianism but the only thing that really got proved is that you can't craft a silk purse from a pig's ear. Or, as a British Army Officer once told me 'You can't polish a t*rd'. Not that Britain were any less awful in their day.

Gloomy innit?

Edited by ParkerN

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I can see Warrren's point about the "end of democracy" in regards to trump's disregard to its various elements, but has she or any of the others really staked a claim as a democratic presidential candidate?? The Republicans won by "default" the last time round and Democrats SHOULD have had plenty of time to groom a new candidate to challenge the incumbent dumbo. 

Well I don't know another word which describes someone who hasn't got the mental capacity to think, remember or elucidate things, so I used the word stupid, but then don't take my word for it because examples of his "stupidity" are out there in black-and-white and on video.

Many and varied they are, and the latest ramble about windmills, birds and other things just shows that if he is allowed to run off at the mouth, what little grey matter there is, doesn't connect with it. That's probably why the Republicans are not keen on him testifying, because they don't know what is going to come out of that orifice.

He could well argue that he is related to the Americans who surrounded the airports in 1776 (yes he did say that about the airports in 1776!!) and that's why he should get another term, but I think your example of "lack of choice" fits the bill, although HRC did win the popular vote, so the greater part of the American public did vote for her!

And by the way, I've never said anything "nasty" about trump, as everything that I have posted has been true, so if hearing the truth appears to you to be nasty, then there's no way I can alter that, because it's out there for all to see, and I just can't abide somebody who lies incessantly, denigrates war heroes, uses donations to charities for his own end and rails against immigrants, when he in fact was using them to build some of his developments (and paying well below the going rate because they were immigrants).

The list is endless and you know it, and I know it, so I say nothing nasty about trump, just the truth, which he and many of his supporters deem necessary to overlook.

I never thought in all of my years, and I was born just after the Second World War, that I would ever see someone like this as a president of the USA, and quite how that reflects upon the people and politics of the USA is not really open to conjecture, because it is plain to see.

So sad that the politics have come down to a choice between a dumb, lying and cheating clown, and.............well, no one else of note that I can point my finger at as of now. Sad.

Edited by xylophone