What Movies or TV shows are you watching (2020)

CharlieH

I have been watching a lot of old movies and TV shows recently. It's amazing how many black actors and queers and same sex couples are in these old movies, and this is before all the PC stuff kicked off. 

I originally I never used to noticed these "minority" characters, yes I saw they were black but it was all part of the narrative and made the story flow.

With all this PC constantly in our face, now every time I see on of these "minorities" in a movie it makes me wonder what are they doing there, are they part of the story or just making up the numbers?

Totally spoils a lot of the viewing pleasure. This constant PC pressure has not done them any favors in by opinion.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

That would be a worse nightmare -wouldn't it--to be accused of being a kidy fiddler, you just have to look at the reaction on here, hanging /Castration/ Hopping he gets raped in jail.. And all that is before the police even decide whether to charge him or not.

I stopped playing football (soccer) in the mid 90s in Oz, and they asked me would I like to help train the tot teams--- 6-9  or 9-11 Y/olds Girls were also being included now.

At the time a bitter solo mum of 3 kids in another state, had been dumped by her boyfriend ----& had put a compliant in, Persuading one of the kids to say she was touched. Same sort of reaction...everyone had an idea what should happen to him. In the end the kid broke down told the truth--- End of it all was he lost his job (fixed home appliances)      The mother--nothing happened.

Me Training a team, I wouldn't even go watch them --case someone got the wrong idea.

How that detective got promoted instead of losing his job along with the Chief of Police is terrible.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

That would be a worse nightmare -wouldn't it--to be accused of being a kidy fiddler, you just have to look at the reaction on here, hanging /Castration/ Hopping he gets raped in jail.. And all that is before the police even decide whether to charge him or not.

I stopped playing football (soccer) in the mid 90s in Oz, and they asked me would I like to help train the tot teams--- 6-9  or 9-11 Y/olds Girls were also being included now.

At the time a bitter solo mum of 3 kids in another state, had been dumped by her boyfriend ----& had put a compliant in, Persuading one of the kids to say she was touched. Same sort of reaction...everyone had an idea what should happen to him. In the end the kid broke down told the truth--- End of it all was he lost his job (fixed home appliances)      The mother--nothing happened.

Me Training a team, I wouldn't even go watch them --case someone got the wrong idea.

The film experiment shown of kids being innocently given medical examinations and then interviewed was interesting. Some kids claimed, when asked leading questions, that the Dr had touched their vaginas and even put a stick in them, when the film of the exam of course shows this was not the case. Yet this poor guy was given 25 years on the evidence of a 4 year old who had clearly gotten confused over who actually did it as they looked liked twins. Disgraceful that the cop who did zero investigation still has a job.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Triggered by a memory, I watched Shaft again a couple years ago and realized what a bad movie it really was, all considered. What saved it was the immortal theme from Isaac Hayes. ????

You should try Shaft (2019) starring Samuel L Jackson.

Quite an enjoyable and entertaining film... and has a great sound track too.

9 hours ago, bendejo said:

Bear in mind the time that movie was made, the "blaxpoitation" thing was just taking off and Hollywood was looking to cash in.  I can't think of L&LD without remembering the Mad magazine take on it.  I just saw Watermelon Man again recently, some good irony and some silly humor, but no happy ending.  Some other movies I can think of that set the pace, before the 1970s trash movies came along (like Blackula) are Cotton Comes to Harlem, Superfly, and Shaft, all made by black directors.

Eddie Murphy recently put out a movie about a guy who made such movies Dolemite Is My Name , haven't seen it myself.

Just watched Man With The Golden Gun, filmed mostly in Thailand, full of racism (Thais are 'pointy heads' among other things), though it was beautiful seeing Thailand the way it was 50 years ago. ????

On 6/14/2020 at 11:54 AM, xylophone said:

Watched a movie last night from 2010 called, "The Way Back" and thought it was good (IMDB 7.3 rating). Was actually looking for one of the same name just released, so will watch that tonight!!

Great movie and impressive walk. Unfortunately it is not based on one man's true experience, but rather several escapees tough journey. Nevertheless a good movie.

111.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Just watched Man With The Golden Gun, filmed mostly in Thailand, full of racism (Thais are 'pointy heads' among other things), though it was beautiful seeing Thailand the way it was 50 years ago. ????

Movies that let you see what a place was like back when.  Good theme.

In The Ladykillers (with Alec Guinness, 1955) there is a scene where they are driving around London and you can see the destruction from the war.

23 Paces to Baker Street (1956) begins with a panorama of London.

Recently saw Stray Dog (1949), by Kurosawa, enjoyed it.  You get to see Japan 70 years ago, also it's a film noir with sleazy dancehall girls, black market gun sellers, etc.

I grew up in NYC, and there are plenty of old movies and TV shows for when I'm in the mood for looking back.  Even in the Law&Order series of the late 1990s-2003 it's fairly recognizable to me, I think the drastic changes started post 9/11.  The Naked City (1948), saw that about a month after I had a stopover in Egypt, damned if certain parts of NYC didn't look like Cairo. 

A very unique movie that should be given merit is Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012).  The story that drives the movie is scripted, but the setting and the characters are real.  Filmed in Louisiana on the Mississippi delta.

2 minutes ago, bendejo said:

there is a scene where they are driving around London and you can see the destruction from the war.

Don't know if any one else has noticed this in old movies shot round London. All the well known landmark buildings, like Houses of Parliament, Trafalgar square and government buildings are all black and dirty from the years of city grime.

In recent movies, and TV programs, the buildings are all looking bright and fresh. Obviously the powers that be have quietly, over recent years, been smartening London up.

Good Job well done  ????

• Like 2

Hamilton was AMAZING. 

Can't wait for The Old Guard (Netflix tomorrow).

I liked Warrior Nun, Hanna S02, Devs, Upload S01 and liking Condor S02.

Doom Patrol S02 is as good as S01: Great.

Good to get the second batch of Rick and Morty/S04.

Binged all of Bosch, loved it, can't believe I missed this one for ~ 5 years.

• Like 2

I watched, "The Outpost" the other evening, as recommended by a couple of other posters on here, and found it to be a very good movie.

However what saddened me was the loss of life for the US soldiers, because the outpost itself was a disaster waiting to happen, and as was said at the beginning of the movie it was a "Custer outpost" (or something like that).

How the military leaders could be so incompetent as to allow an outpost to be built in such a place is really beyond belief, because a nine year old child would have known better.

It gives a greater emphasis on the old saying that, "military intelligence" is an oxymoron.

Truly was in the case of the US Army and one has to wonder how many other poor souls have lost their lives through this incompetence.

• Thanks 1

Rather Strange. I watched Carriers last night about a Virus that swept the USA A few mins into the film a Man was dead with a sign round his neck saying BLAME the CHINS. The film was made well before China caused this debacle. An up to You movie, not my type anyway.:coffee1:

Manhunt: The Raoul Moat Story

Got it on RARBG.

In July 2010, the UK was gripped by what would become the nation’s biggest manhunt, when Raoul Moat, a former nightclub bouncer, seriously injured his ex-girlfriend, killed her partner and the following day blinded a police officer.  

On the 10-year anniversary, ITV is airing an hour-long documentary detailing the events of Moat’s two-day shooting rampage and the subsequent manhunt.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, xylophone said:

I watched, "The Outpost" the other evening, as recommended by a couple of other posters on here, and found it to be a very good movie.

However what saddened me was the loss of life for the US soldiers, because the outpost itself was a disaster waiting to happen, and as was said at the beginning of the movie it was a "Custer outpost" (or something like that).

How the military leaders could be so incompetent as to allow an outpost to be built in such a place is really beyond belief, because a nine year old child would have known better.

It gives a greater emphasis on the old saying that, "military intelligence" is an oxymoron.

Truly was in the case of the US Army and one has to wonder how many other poor souls have lost their lives through this incompetence.

I noticed when an American was injured up to 3 Soldiers then failed to return fire on the Taliban. Yet the Taliban. as in all battles of yesteryear Look after the Wounded after the fight. Thats the correct way imo, no Field Medic hard luck, no combatant should assist when under fire...