Opening an online international bank account

I'm the lucky recepient of a family inheritance of which I would like to deposit half in Thailand (partly to cover the 800,000 baht clause for a retirement visa), the other half I would like to keep in the UK. I haven't lived in the UK for over 30 years so my old bank account has deceased. I was looking at setting up a Barclay's international online account, it looks good but it's a pain having to find a certified lawyer to verify the residency and passport documents.

Does anyone have any other online international banking facilities they can recommend for deposits in the UK?

Cheers and Happy New Year.

The Channel Islands and/or The Isle of Man have long been the favourite regions for expats who wish to make deposits. The institutes there are quite used to dealing such people and I'm sure you will find them much more cooperative than trying to deal with their mainland counterparts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hans007 said:

N26 is pretty good. Can open online if you are having EU passport.

Hans

... And Revolut in UK another alternative, pretty much same as German N26. Opened both in minutes a while back. All work good. No costs for visa cards. 

16 hours ago, Hans007 said:

N26 is pretty good. Can open online if you are having EU passport.

Hans

Except if you put your residence as Thailand it wont let you open a account.Revolut is the same,you need a European tel nos and address(Uk ) to open these accounts.cheers

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mran66 said:

... And Revolut in UK another alternative, pretty much same as German N26. Opened both in minutes a while back. All work good. No costs for visa cards. 

Yes true...however Revolut dont work in Thailand. I mean for paying stuff inshops. Ihave Revolut...andset up a thai bath account. Its pretty useless imho. N26 better imho.

Hans

On 1/1/2020 at 2:57 PM, bannork said:

I would like to deposit ... the other half I would like to keep in the UK.

Given your circumstances you won't be able to open a bank account in the UK.  Offshore bank accounts are (by definition) not in the UK, and don't have the UK's protections.

If you simply want to keep the money in Sterling, then you could open a Foreign Currency account with a Thai bank.

If you want to go down the offshore route, stick to one of the established big names for security.  And the need for proper paperwork to open an account is a good sign - it's not some fly-by-night dodgy operation, and it takes its legal responsibilities seriously.

Edited by Oxx
  • Like 1