a good juicer in Thailand?

pomozki

apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum. I was thinking of "health and medicine" - just not sure

I'm after a juicer but I've just been messed around by Thai Customs after importing a coffee machine on eBay (they relented in the end but it was a hassle)

so this time I'm looking at buying a juicer locally, at a store or Lazada.
Can anyone recommend a reliable, good value one? I don't need all the bells and whistles but preferably one that

• doesn't cost more than, say, 3,000 baht 
  • can comfortably chop hard veggies like beetroots and carrots
  • easy to maintain/wash up
  • doesn't take up too much space

thanks!

Don't know about an actual juicer, but a nutribullet is a wonderful thing. 

Available on lazada. 

Mine is used daily. 

Fruit shakes, beetroot, kale, spinach, carrots, pulverized. 

Rinses clean. 

Edited by metempsychotic
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2020 at 4:56 AM, brokenbone said:

commercial blenders uses a metal gearwheel while

amateur blenders uses a plastic,

ive seen those plastic wheels get wittered down.

i bought an otto commercial blender below 2000

on sale i think.

you can check by merely lifting up the

container and see the transmission gear

where did you buy this? do you have a link? cheers

I was also about to start a juicer thread and didn't know where to put itm "western food" was my last thought before I found this.

I know this is out of your budget but the Tefal ZC1508

www.powerbuy.co.th/en/tefal-เครื่องสกัดน้ำผลไม้-150w-tefal-zc1508-248642

and the ReBoot Master 6000

thailandjuicer.com/en/สินค้า/reboot-master-6000-slow-juicer-black/

seem to be the best value slow juicers.  I brought a Hurom with me a long time ago but I am looking for one for a friend and want something a little more budget.

Slow juicers generally produce a higher yield so over time especially if you juice organic/pesticide free fruits and veggies might make up the difference compared to a centrifugal model.  I own a Samson, a Kunvings and the Hurom each in a different country (home) and am generally happy with all of them.

• Thanks 1

wow, thanks for all the replies - I'll defo check out the Otto and the Tefal - the Reboot includes all sorts of extras I don't really need and at 9,000 baht is too much
will report back if/when I've done the deed ????

cheers

here is how otto look like,

i found power to be important, even the otto struggle when i fill it up with ice & frozen fruits, 1200 w and never bother with anything below 1000 w

https://www.robinson.co.th/th/otto-powerful-blender-be-127a-size-2l-black-rbs28602590?gclid=Cj0KCQiAr8bwBRD4ARIsAHa4YyJAT76LZKSUGBAiioKp4Ispcj7GUBYLEC3Qm6DoQ-f15h_U-zzuWAwaAindEALw_wcB

Edited by brokenbone
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pomozki said:

many thanks again brokenbone - I will check it out at the local Big C tomorrow

btw, I won't be putting ice in it - but can it easily handle hard things like carrots, beetroots etc?

yes, that would be a breeze compared to frozen fruit

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, brokenbone said:

yes, that would be a breeze compared to frozen fruit

damn, I just found out that Tesco have been running a special on that Otto Be-127 blender - just 1,095 baht
and it finished 5 hours ago. I was too slow!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pomozki said:

damn, I just found out that Tesco have been running a special on that Otto Be-127 blender - just 1,095 baht
and it finished 5 hours ago. I was too slow!

Powerbuy have it on sale. Looks as if it's a one day event.

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/otto-เครื่องปั่้นน้ำผลไม้-2l-otto-be127a-242471

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pomozki said:

you're a champion, I also found that, filling out the order right now ????

After you've used it a few times, will you post your thoughts on it please.

Kap.

Edited by faraday

9 minutes ago, faraday said:

After you've used it a few times, will you post your thoughts on it please.

Kap.

I absolutely will. I loved the look of that Tefal and I'm sure it's superior. But this looks just fine for my needs and I also found an old Youtube video of some super-fit guy enthusing about it so it's perfect for me at this discounted price

many thanks to everyone for their suggestions - be back after I've used it for a few days

Edited by pomozki
  • Like 1

I was going to wait a few days but I might as well post this now.
It's rather long so I added a quick summary at the end.

The Otto BE-127 model is several years old but still widely available and often at a discount. I was going to get it from Powerbuy for 1,200 baht but they tried to deliver when I was out and didnt contact me again so I got it from Tesco (home delivery) for 1,100 baht, even better! I then realised its the same brand as my toaster, which was just 350 baht 2 years ago and still going strong. Encouraging.

1st impressions: its basically just 2-3 parts, so easy to put together and maintain. Good for lazy people like me. However, I was concerned at how delicate the metal cutting blades were. It looked as if it wouldnt take much to damage them. As per instructions I quickly wiped all parts with a dry cloth, then gave it a try within an hour of it arriving.

I went for an old favourite beetroot, carrot, celery, basil, a few tomatoes and pineapple to sweeten it up. Prep didnt take too long. Peeled the beetroot and carrot, diced the toms and tore off what I needed from the celery and basil. I bought the pineapple pieces in a 20-baht bag from the market next door (yeah, lucky to have that!)

I checked out this very helpful review:

I took the guy's advice to first put in 250ml (little more than one glass) of water and the softest of the ingredients, in my case the tomatoes, celery, basil and pineapple. That gives the machine the easiest possible start. Brrrrr. No problem. Yay, it works. I held my breath and then added the pieces of carrot and beetroot. It appeared to labour for a moment or two, then got going. I also tried out the pulse button on the right, though still not sure what it does that the up/down power button doesnt do.

I really dont know how much control you have over the texture once youve put all the ingredients in. After just a few seconds it looked drinkable, so I turned it off and disconnected the plug. Wrong! The balance of water and ingredients was all wrong and it was way too thick. Never mind. I actually prefer juices with pulp cos it reminds me that Im getting real food, not one of those factory-made juices you get in the supermarket cartons.

As a side issue, I read quite a bit beforehand about the pros and cons of juices. The surprise con is that if you have the same amount of fruit/veggies in their original form, youre going to feel much fuller than with a juice. The lack of effort in pouring a juice down your throat may be why you often feel hungry again much earlier. People dont realise this and often end up eating more than normal, thus not losing weight or even piling it on while theyre trying to be healthy. Thats another reason I quite like a few bits and pieces to munch on in my juice.

Anyway, the juice was okay and I had enough for one full glass and about double as much to store.

82457653_10213486822963593_4363600577037336576_o.jpg.e6c18764be00fbc48b620ad84e34b1f9.jpg

Trial and error, right? 2 days later I made a 2nd juice and this was delicious mangoes, pineapple, apples and some blackberries from Makros super-value frozen fruit/veg range. Consistency just right. It was a beautiful golden colour - until I added some blackberries, at which point it suddenly turned pink!

81589309_10213486824083621_1830639534002405376_o.jpg.f129c5920bb1371569c319074d775442.jpg

TIPS: (from the Internet, not me!)

1)      beetroot is a pain in the ass if you spill it anywhere. I took one sites advice to buy an apron and I look mighty fine in it, if I do say so myself.

2)      Also maybe buy a funnel thatll help also to prevent a mess when youre pouring it into a glass. Unless its very liquidy there will be bits that could easily miss the target and end up everywhere.

3)      If youre very conscious of the nutrition side of it, dont make a few days worth. Much of the nutrition will start fading by the next day, especially if the container isnt air-tight, or isnt full and theres air inside. You dont really want to be making juices every day (although that is what the experts recommend) but you also dont want to run the risk of putting leftovers in the fridge and both the taste and nutritional value start to fade.
Some websites also recommend glass containers, not plastic, because plastic has been found to leach into the food. I made enough for 2 glasses the first day and 2 more the next day. So at this rate, I could be juicing every other day. I have the market next door and I
m now out of work so I have plenty of time. Time will also tell if I maintain my enthusiasm!

Pros: Very easy to use and wash up and just over 1,000 baht. Also a reliable foreign brand.
Cons: I
m not fully convinced by the durability of those metal blades.
It
s probably a basic blender, without the longevity of more expensive units or extra functions. Also, there always seem to be tiny pieces in the juice suits me but not for everyone?

Summary: Basic blender but at just over 1,000 baht, unbeatable value.

Many thanks for everyones suggestions, esp Otto users brokenbone and tweedledee2

Edited by pomozki