Luxury Siem Reap Hotel Shuts Down Amid City’s Tourism Woes

geovalin

A luxury Siem Reap hotel has shut down amid a downturn in tourists, with management saying the city’s hospitality businesses are locked in a battle to cut prices “to the point of death” in a dire market.

The four-star Apsara Angkor Resort announced it indefinitely suspended its operations starting this month, citing serious financial losses over the past two years amid a struggling industry, according to an undated statement obtained on Wednesday.

General manager Nuon Teviphea told VOD that nearly 200 employees would be affected by the closure of the hotel, which had been in operation for 18 years.

read more https://vodenglish.news/luxury-siem-reap-hotel-shuts-down-amid-citys-tourism-woes/

5 hours ago, Momofarang said:

Where in Thailand is Siem Reap?

I guess this confirms that all the foreigners are moving over to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia.

Nope, not really. I went to Vietnam recently, and they have much lesser tourist over there. It just more and more farang tourist don't have much money to travel anymore. 

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

There are several Ghost hotels sitting uninhabited in SR.

They over built the place in the past 6 years or so.

And going to the Wat is like going to Disneyland now.

But hey, 50 cent beers still will motivate some I guess.

I love it when the greedy b*St*rds price themselves outta' business.

• Like 1

There's a lot more to Siem Reap than the .50 beers. There is a growing expat community here that is setting roots in the ground from new restaurants, to several other kinds of business. It's not just a town for tourism anymore. I recommend anyone come here whose interested in opportunities that Thailand doesn't offer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

There's a lot more to Siem Reap than the .50 beers. There is a growing expat community here that is setting roots in the ground from new restaurants, to several other kinds of business. It's not just a town for tourism anymore. I recommend anyone come here whose interested in opportunities that Thailand doesn't offer.

I shall be in two months time, renting a fully furnished apartment in Siem Reap, after nearly 20 years of retirement in the North of Thailand. So simple and easy without the bureaucratic stupidity and complications emanating from Bangkok!!

• Like 1