Shopping for a used car in Bangkok

westsail

We will be travelling from Phuket to Bangkok soon to shop for a used car, probably a Honda CRV or Mazda CX-5.  As a condition of sale I hope to have the used car dealer take the car (at my expense) to be checked over at the service department of the new car dealership.  Has anyone here done this or had a car dealer refuse to permit it?

• Haha 1

Honda have a certified second hand car program.

https://usedcar.honda.co.th

I’m not sure Mazda have a certified second hand car program. 

Anyone who is selling a legitimate car should have no issues with having the car independently verified.

As the verification will be at your expense I don’t see any issues other than the ‘cannot’ because you are ‘coloring outside the lines’ of expected behavior. Once you speak to a decision maker at the dealership / garage / tent it should be ok - if not, you are free to just walk away.

If you are in the second hand car market the safest bet is obviously to purchase a car which is still under warranty or with a ’second hand certified' warranty that the dealership can honor.

Be careful, some warranty’s do not pass over to the second owner (bizarre and daft I know): When I sold my Alfa Romeo (after 2 years) it had a 3 year warranty, the last year was not passed over to the buyer. The Alfa dealership could explain why.