Not fair! Public ripped off by big business in plastic bag ban - prices should be lowered

webfact

On 1/7/2020 at 9:40 AM, Andrew23 said:

Why must I carry bags everywhere just because someone believes that a plastic bag ban may save the planet?

You don't need. You can just pay the 5 TBH per bag and carry a new bag home ...

17 hours ago, Don Mega said:

The people want bags back, no problem.

Lift the ban and put a government tax of Bt.10 on every bag used.

Well they could pay 10 baht for your plastic bag, or they can buy a "Bag for Life" at Tesco for 5 baht.

Of course your way would give this ratbag something to really complain about (not that he needs much incentive to get his mugshot in the media at any time)

5 hours ago, Monomial said:

Guys...let's get back on track.

This thread is not about protecting the environment. We all want to reduce plastic and protect the environment. This is about understanding who is benefitting from the millions saved by no longer having to provide bags.  That money should go to the people who are being inconvenienced by the policy. It should not go into the profits of the uber wealthy who are pushing for it under the guise of helping the environment.

Anyone who genuinely wants to protect the environment should recognize that the best way to accomplish their goal is to give people something to protect the environment. That creates good will. Instead, this "no bag" scam is all about punishing the ordinary person and giving the profits to wealthy retail chains.

I have proposed a very workable scheme that also incorporates "no bags" (Post #60) but makes sure the profits that come from eliminating bags get returned to those who don't use bags. It accomplishes everything this "no bag" scam does, but returns the cash savings to the consumers. To those who support this implementation of the "no bag" scam. I ask a question. Do you really want to protect the environment, or do you possibly own stock in major retail chains and want to see your investments go up in value?

We should all get behind Khun Srisuwan Janya and make sure the people really understand what is happening here. Everyone will accept "no bags" if they get the savings from no bags.

Nobody is going to accept doing all the work while the major chains get all the rewards.

i think you are way overestimating how much the bags cost and how much the stores are saving by not giving away bags. When you amortize the cost of the bags and the number of items packed in them it comes down to a few satang/item. 

"the people who are being inconvenienced" probably would not even notice the difference in the total bill with a full trolley load of shopping.

Khun Srisuwan Janya is just a compulsive  attention seeking egotist who has not been feeling the media attention for a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

I've been using my own bags for around 2 years now.  I've NEVER had to pack it myself.  I either place it in the basket along with my purchases or on the conveyor belt where they have them.  They have always been packed by the cashier.

Maybe the people you've seen, choose to pack themselves or find it 'impolite' to give their bag to the cashier.

That was happening in the past and is still the case, but more recently, the cashier is asking for your bag if not offered.

You can also take your own single use disposable plastic bag....It will almost be like the good old days before all this anti bag hysteria......

Edited by fforest1
  • Haha 2

On 1/7/2020 at 12:21 PM, lordblackader said:

The baht has appreciated by 20-25% against some currencies and yet the price of imported goods from those countries hasn't moved - this guy thinks big Thai companies really give a <deleted>? The same companies that back the ruling junta - that's all you need to know about crony capitalism in the LoS. 

The same big companies that supported the former governments, all of them?

You really think the TS governments were interested in the people, if only for their votes?

Where did you ever get the misguided idea governments, anywhere in the world, will do something for the general poorer people besides some cosmetics?

Wake up!

15 hours ago, Fred white said:

You have trash pick up you must be special ????

Nothing special about it. Our trash is collected weekly and they take everything that is in the bins plus the stuff that won' fit in the bins. 

It is an extortionate price though.

30 baht (cash) every month. ???? :clap2:

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

Nothing special about it. Our trash is collected weekly and they take everything that is in the bins plus the stuff that won' fit in the bins. 

It is an extortionate price though.

30 baht (cash) every month. ???? :clap2:

We don't have trash pick up I'd be more than happy to pay 30 baht a month if we did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fred white said:

We don't have trash pick up I'd be more than happy to pay 30 baht a month if we did

There are 2 trucks in the tessaban and they are on the road about 5 am and they visit every village once a week.

They take everything we put out so far though for something like a mattress we would probably have to arrange a pick up.

23 hours ago, Monomial said:

And who decided that hospital should get the money? And what benefit did CPAll get in return to their corporate image?  What you are citing there is called "greenwashing" and corporations do it all the time. They donate sums in order to bolster their corporate image and try and give the impression they aren't as evil as they truly are.

Don't get me wrong. If an individual wants to give money from his or her personal wealth, that is a good thing. When a corporation does it however, it is very, very suspect.  Certainly not something we should applaud.  And certainly not something that justifies the profits they are earning from this policy.

How many expats are already "donating" through dual pricing?

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, zydeco said:

How many expats are already "donating" through dual pricing?

having read the post you are replying to 3 times over, i can only ask you what does dual pricing or even foreigners have to do with it?

i mean, ill let the odd apples to oranges comparison slide, but quit posting repetitive nonsense that has nothing to do with the topic at hand. 

if you lack the wit to type a comment beyond the thaivisa canon of of the disgruntled foreigner, perhaps you should take a break, not post and perhaps be thought less a fool for it. though it is a little late for that.

• Like 1

Good news folks...people are already finding ways around this ridiculous rule. Just got back from 7-11. They had a secret stash of unmarked plastic bags under the counter they were giving to anyone who wanted one.  The store owner obviously realized how unpopular this policy is, and didn't want to <deleted> off customers.

I came home from 7-11 with my beer and bread splaced neatly into a free plastic bag.

Since many 7-11's are privately owned, it is clear least some people in this country have got their act together and are not just accepting this stupid policy.  Make sure you ask at your local 7-11 and only support those outlets who offer you bags.  If enough people reject it, we can get a genuine environmental policy that serves the people and not the greedy retailers.

Edit: Really? "p-i-s-s" is <deleted>???

Edited by Monomial
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Good news folks...people are already finding ways around this ridiculous rule. Just got back from 7-11. They had a secret stash of unmarked plastic bags under the counter they were giving to anyone who wanted one.  The store owner obviously realized how unpopular this policy is, and didn't want to <deleted> off customers.

I came home from 7-11 with my beer and bread splaced neatly into a free plastic bag.

Since many 7-11's are privately owned, it is clear least some people in this country have got their act together and are not just accepting this stupid policy.  Make sure you ask at your local 7-11 and only support those outlets who offer you bags.  If enough people reject it, we can get a genuine environmental policy that serves the people and not the greedy retailers.

Edit: Really? "p-i-s-s" is <deleted>???

The ignorance of this comment stuns me.

You buy bread at 7 11?

That alone invalidates everything else you may ever say.

• Haha 2

On 1/8/2020 at 11:36 PM, MikeN said:

i think you are way overestimating how much the bags cost and how much the stores are saving by not giving away bags. When you amortize the cost of the bags and the number of items packed in them it comes down to a few satang/item. 

"the people who are being inconvenienced" probably would not even notice the difference in the total bill with a full trolley load of shopping.

Khun Srisuwan Janya is just a compulsive  attention seeking egotist who has not been feeling the media attention for a couple of weeks.

Already discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. It is 40 satang per bag. It equates to somewhere around 0.25% - 0.5% of gross receipts for a major chain.

33 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Since many 7-11's are privately owned,

The building may be privately owned but the business is a franchise.  Never heard of franchise agreements?

Cpall (the franchiser) can close you down.  

A franchisee is not their own boss.  They have to jump through hoops.

5 minutes ago, HHTel said:

The building may be privately owned but the business is a franchise.  Never heard of franchise agreements?

Cpall (the franchiser) can close you down.  

A franchisee is not their own boss.  They have to jump through hoops.

Which is why the bags are not out in the open. And CP All is not stupid. They make money on sales. They have zero incentive to close the retailers down for increasing sales.  If a franchise operator wants to spend his own money (which he can't report as an expense) to keep revenues coming in, you honestly think they are going to complain? 

24 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Already discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. It is 40 satang per bag. It equates to somewhere around 0.25% - 0.5% of gross receipts for a major chain.

Plus the cost to you and me in 'cleanup operations'. Retailers may be saving millions of baht but think of the many more millions it's costing to tackle the problems caused by them, not to mention the health risks.

12 minutes ago, Monomial said:

Which is why the bags are not out in the open. And CP All is not stupid. They make money on sales. They have zero incentive to close the retailers down for increasing sales.  If a franchise operator wants to spend his own money (which he can't report as an expense) to keep revenues coming in, you honestly think they are going to complain? 

Once a 7/11 franchise becomes successful, CP will open more 7/11's in the close proximity.  Ask any 7/11 franchisee and they will tell you that CP are their worst enemies when it comes to turnover.  CP will always protect their income by opening more stores thereby 'watering down' the growth of any single 7/11.

They claim that opening new stores in the same area is for the convenience of customers and before doing so the existing 7/11's are offered the opportunity to partner the new stores ("if they are ready")