Motor Bike Renew Overdue Registration

AlteredImage

Been out of Thailand for 2 years and not able to return soon due to circumstances.

My Motor Bike has been safely stored all this time but obviously now out of registration.

My friend is traveling there next month and probably stay some months.

I would like for him to take my Bike out of storage and use it whilst he is there.

He would need to renew the registration so my question is, can he do that in my absence given that the Bike is in my name.?

Any info appreciated

Edited by metisdead
ALL CAPS removed from topic title.

Yes he can do the insurance and road tax, you will be fined for not renewing the road tax, i do not think it will be very much, it can be done on a Saturday in 6th floor in central shopping mail, near the escalator beach road end, remember if the bike is more than 5 years old it will need to be tested, he will need the book for the  bike or a copy. 

26 minutes ago, AlteredImage said:

He would need to renew the registration so my question is, can he do that in my absence given that the Bike is in my name.?

Yes he will need the green book..take it and the bike to one of the shops around town displaying this sign

post-2109-0-09307200-1357115893.gif

the missed years tax and small fine will have to be paid   along with the "agents" fee which should only be a few hundred baht + compulsory government insurance.

Get your friend to make a copy of green book cover page  and page 4 and 5  a copy of the tax disk and insurance keep the copies under the seat of the bike 

(original green book somewhere safe not under the seat)

tax disk is supposed to be displayed on the bike...there are many police checkpoints around Pattaya..he should have a drivers license too.

@seeyoujimmy

The mini DLT at  Central Mall  only deals with tax disc...you need to have already bought the compulsory government insurance and if over 5 years old  have the bike "inspected"  at  one of the inspection centers  displaying the above logo easier just to go to the inspection center and have them do the whole kaboodle.

Edited by johng

Yes, around five years ago my GF was given a long-term loan of her cousin's old motorbike which hadn't been taxed in around nine years. She had to pay the back-taxes and a fine of, I think 1 Baht per month for every month it was overdue. The end result was a bill only a bit over 1000 Baht I seem to recall. The compulsory government insurance is the expensive thing, it costs more than the road tax, but of course she only had to pay that for the current year, there was no penalty for not having had it for all the previous years.

Probably best to tell your friend to use one of the testing stations to sort it out for him rather than going to the DLT himself, as the bike will need a test anyway. I use the one on Suk between Tai and Klaang, on the city side, cheap and reliable, but I've used others (the one on Thepprasit Soi 15 and one up on Suk near Nuea), and they've all much the same.

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

The compulsory government insurance is the expensive thing, it costs more than the road tax,

Not sure if different depending on the cc of the bike but a basic 120cc or similar is 325 baht. Road tax for a year 100 baht.

17 hours ago, topt said:

Not sure if different depending on the cc of the bike but a basic 120cc or similar is 325 baht. Road tax for a year 100 baht.

That's what I was trying to explain, if her cousin had paid the tax and insurance annually for all nine years the total bill would have been well over 4K Baht. As the GF only had to pay the back tax, some trivial fines, and one year's insurance the total bill was only around 1K-1.5K Baht.

Yes the insurance varies by CC  of the bike    mind you I think they use real CC size ( as noted in the green book)

I've got 2 "150cc"   bikes  but the one that is actually 147cc  they charged  430 baht  and the 150cc was 490 baht.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Guderian said:

That's what I was trying to explain, if her cousin had paid the tax and insurance annually for all nine years the total bill would have been well over 4K Baht. As the GF only had to pay the back tax, some trivial fines, and one year's insurance the total bill was only around 1K-1.5K Baht.

Yes understand - would not expect to have to pay insurance for past years as mentioned. Just giving the actual costs for the OP's benefit. :thumbsup: