Iran fires rockets at Iraqi air base hours after funeral of slain commander

webfact

34 minutes ago, billd766 said:
48 minutes ago, rabas said:

I would doubt that, remember the population is not free to express their views, far from it. However, looking for data, it seems roughly 70% would oppose it. This is from a well-known Tehran political science professor. Brookings Institute:

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2019/07/11/four-decades-later-did-the-iranian-revolution-fulfill-its-promises/

Of course it is hard to say as Iran is divided between modern Iran and the under-developed religious rural areas. Iran has always been a bit schizophrenic along these lines.

So you think that more than 41 million Iranians oppose the current regime based on a report from a political science who is an exile?

Of course you have to read the article first.

That opinion comes from a well known Irani professor at Tehran University who is famous both inside and outside Iran for his studies of Iran history and politics. You can't find a better source.

Sadegh Zibakalam (Persian: صادق زیباکلام‎, lit. 'honest eloquent-speaker';[4]  He is a professor at University of Tehran[9] and appears frequently on international news outlets[10] including the BBC News and .  His books "How Did We Become What We Are?" and "An Introduction to Islamic Revolution" are among bestsellers and prominent books on Iranian contemporary politics.[1]

Wow

Edited by rabas
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sujo said:

Perhaps someone could explain how pulling out of the iran deal has made the world a safer place. Thats what started all this.

Actually whatstarted all this was israel started bombingIranian backed militias in Iraq(theyhad already been hitting Syria, but they recently esculated itinto iraq) israeli weapons are from the US and the US pays for them as israels foreign aid.. so the iraqi shia groups told the US that they had toorder Israel to stop, the US refused.  SO THE IRAQI MILITA started fireing rockets at usbases, qki,ing one contractor.. tbe US bombed iraqi militias and killed 25.... it then went fromthere

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sujo said:

Trump says he will hit iran hard.

iran says it will retaliate in proportion on a military target and thats the end of it.

iran considers this over. Now up to trump, let it go, or escalate it again.

Problem is.. whats worse than these bombs destroying aircraft, is irans antiship missiles in the gulf.. their saveing those for the next round

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Oh...you would like revenge a little more bloody!

Got it!

Its easy to hunker down but aircraft were destroyed.. if its full on war and their missiles destroy many aircraft and then antiship missiles.. thats some serious attrition to overstretched us forces

3 hours ago, rabas said:

80 million, I have been there many times. Why? Don't understand the thought process behind your question. A very large part of the population is anti-regime.

Is it your sense that rural Iran is also anti-regime? I have a good friend who’s a dual Iran/UK citizen who spends maybe four months a year in Tehran, and she’s been disgusted by the mullahs and, more, by the Revolutionary Guards for years (her niece and a dozen other people were recently sentenced to ten years in jail for spying, when all they were really doing was tracking endangered cheetahs). But my friend is very much a part of the “urban, educated elite,” with family connections even to the Ancien Régime (of the shah), and while I trust everything she tells me, I wonder how predominant her opinions are nationwide in Iran.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cory1848 said:

Is it your sense that rural Iran is also anti-regime? I have a good friend who’s a dual Iran/UK citizen who spends maybe four months a year in Tehran, and she’s been disgusted by the mullahs and, more, by the Revolutionary Guards for years (her niece and a dozen other people were recently sentenced to ten years in jail for spying, when all they were really doing was tracking endangered cheetahs). But my friend is very much a part of the “urban, educated elite,” with family connections even to the Ancien Régime (of the shah), and while I trust everything she tells me, I wonder how predominant her opinions are nationwide in Iran.

I think you'll find in general that rural populations tend to be more easily manipulated by fundamentalist ideology and suspicion of foreign influence. Just consider how they vote in the U.S. elections.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

We will attack the White House- several old missiles fired into the next Muslim country ????

So no need for trump to do anything then.

Even tho the attack crossed his red line.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

I think you'll find in general that rural populations tend to be more easily manipulated by fundamentalist ideology and suspicion of foreign influence. Just consider how they vote in the U.S. elections.

Red state/blue state thing; I suppose there are equivalents everywhere. I’m also a dual citizen but US-born, and I’m sure I have a lot more in common with my Iranian friend than with a Trump voter from Wichita, Kansas -- and I mean no disrespect in any direction; that’s just the way it is. (Granted, my friend has spent much of her adult life abroad, and she speaks fluent English.)

20 minutes ago, Cory1848 said:

Is it your sense that rural Iran is also anti-regime?

No, It is the  more developed or educated part. It's like you say. The Shah made huge steps forward in terms of the economy, especially education, and freedoms. The ones that experienced that have not forgotten.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Do try to research the topic before you post. It saves you looking more foolish forever.

He knew it already. And it will not prevent him from posting the same fake argument again in a few minutes, hours or days.....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Of course you have to read the article first.

That opinion comes from a well known Irani professor at Tehran University who is famous both inside and outside Iran for his studies of Iran history and politics. You can't find a better source.

Sadegh Zibakalam (Persian: صادق زیباکلام‎, lit. 'honest eloquent-speaker';[4]  He is a professor at University of Tehran[9] and appears frequently on international news outlets[10] including the BBC News and .  His books "How Did We Become What We Are?" and "An Introduction to Islamic Revolution" are among bestsellers and prominent books on Iranian contemporary politics.[1]

Wow

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/14/iran-sentences-tehran-professor-to-jail-for-anti-state-propaganda

Doesnt look like he’s free to express opinion at all.... besides which, this opinion predates the trumps betrayal of americas agreement re ongoing acts of aggression organized by 45, so is probably no longer reflective of reality.

next you’ll be quoting Nostradamus. ????????????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

This general fought ISIS for only one reason: to get a lot more Iranian influence in Iraq and Syria.

There were 14 countries fighting ISIL in Iraq and Syria including US. Shouldn’t the influence be share proportionately. ????????

19 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

This general fought ISIS for only one reason: to get a lot more Iranian influence in Iraq and Syria.

Weren't ISIS the wrong kind of Muslim for him? Religious war for the general and Iran, as much as anything.

I think the Iranians choose a very specific reaction to the generals death that shows they don't want to leave a body count of American soldiers. Hope Trump advisers tell him to do a meaningless face saving reaction.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

So, who doesnt fighting in middle east for more influence? Huh pull your head out for once

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, meand said:

He could be fighting isis because he believes doing so would bring him a unicorn to fly off into the sunset on. It does not matter. What matters is he was the one on the ground defeating isis, the US's enemy. 

US's enemy?

... last I heard ISIS was Iraq and Syria's enemy (among others, they burned Jordanians), attacking them, killing them, capturing large swaths of their territory, raping their women and beheading their men. I may be wrong, but that's a good sign someone is your enemy.

Edited by rabas

9 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

After all the bravado, Trump back off Oval Office speech to the nation tonight after meeting with key aides in the WH. So no immediate response from the man who started this fire fight. 

No need. He's clearly won this one by disposing of a really nasty piece of work without too much trouble. I suspect that privately the leaders in Teheran are not sorry to see the back of him either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1