Why Do Thais Buy So Much Gold?

SoSoCNX

"I sold my gold @ 22,750 baht/bar"

Wrong move OP...unless you are in need of cash...

The bull market for gold is just in its early stages...

The main central banks are busy destroying their currencies and they will do whatever it takes to succeed...

10 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Except when it goes down and/or doesn't earn any interest/dividend.

Better than putting money in a savings account that earns practically zero interest and can be raided by a corrupt government anytime it pleases them to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

"I sold my gold @ 22,750 baht/bar"

Wrong move OP...unless you are in need of cash...

The bull market for gold is just in its early stages...

The main central banks are busy destroying their currencies and they will do whatever it takes to succeed...

today I paid 22,200 per bar and I was able to buy more 

10 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Untill now your the only one that's right maybe some will follow but your spot on ????

The problem with buying gold you can wear is you have to pay quite a bit more than the spot price for the workmanship involved. And when you sell they only pay the spot price.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

Proper analysis shows it’s lagged behind a decent spread of equities over a n accepted investment time scale. It also pays no dividends. 

You can say what you want. It still going to be the most secure investment through time. I never said the best, but it is the most secure.

• Like 2

On 1/9/2020 at 5:54 AM, baansgr said:

Its viewed as instant cash...as for investment...it depends when you buy, 6 years ago 1 baht was 25k...its never recovered to that high since.

What I got married In 2002 is about 6000 baht/baht

• Like 1

I have purchased gold 5-10 baht bars in the past from one of those typical red gold shops seen everywhere.  Is there a chance of them passing off fake gold?  They weigh it and provide an invoice, but should I demand an electronic test?  Isn't there a Thai Gold Association that regulates them?

1 hour ago, parallaxtech said:

I have purchased gold 5-10 baht bars in the past from one of those typical red gold shops seen everywhere.  Is there a chance of them passing off fake gold?  They weigh it and provide an invoice, but should I demand an electronic test?  Isn't there a Thai Gold Association that regulates them?

Buy your gold from Hua Seng Heng ... pardon the terrible pun, but honestly .. they are the Gold Standard for Thailand and SEA.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:43 AM, elgenon said:

I remember when Thais wore their gold. Invested in it and showed their worth. Now that's too dangerous. Plus some people have become more sophisticated. My middle class friends do not show off.

It's a low class trait to wear heavy gold as a sign of small personal wealth.

Thai's with cash don't need to flex like that.

Survivors of displacement, pogroms, and other distasteful occurrences have been able to transport gold and laterly diamonds undetected  and used them to bargain for safety, transport, papers, and accommodation.

On the subject of Thais wearing gold, was with a Thai in a coffee shop early 80's he ran out of cash, took off a 50 stang gold chain necklace and told waiter to change it, guy came back 5 minutes later with wad of cash....he gave the dude 20 baht for his trouble and we continued our afternoon, thought that was cool at the time, 1983 Koh Samui..and thats what gold chains were for, not the big gaudy one the small ones are just a wearable debit card back when I was younger man...not sure about the practice now.

• Like 1