Thailand drought: A river with no water - clearest sign yet of crisis

webfact

6 hours ago, robblok said:

i disagree you still did not explain to me why a maid that loses her job or someone in a car factory is less important then a farmer who constant gets a handout.  Do explain to me why farmers should always get more then normal people.

I am getting my news from multiple sources and pictures from members like in this topic. So it happens farmers do steal water to make money. Pity for the farmers that don't have water but that is the risk of a business. You still don't get it all other businesses are allowed to fail but farmers seem to hold a special place. You are one of those people promoting that.

You either help everyone or not.  Farmers are not special its just a business nothing more nothing less. If you fail at it find something else. That is what everyone does who runs a business. That is the risk. I run my own business if it goes wrong nobody will help me. 

Are you a farmer or have been ? Have you ever had your own business ? If so why would it be fair that some get help and others don't.

Wow I have heard some clap trap in my time ! What are you going to eat in your ivory tower if farmers don't have enough water to grow the crops. Also moving on to how everyone else in the real world loses their jobs etc. if they can't compete without handouts, shall we start on the handouts to Banks in the financial crisis, the oil industry and so on, or is that slightly too close to home for comfort?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing is for sure. As the drought kicks in there will be a shortfall in food production and the price of essential foods will go up.

When that happens this government will see what happens when people outside urban areas really start to feel the pinch.

Water rationing and conservation should begin now , turning off mains supplies for a few hours each

day . What will happen instead is that everyone, not only farmers , will carry on as normal instill there is no water left and there is no mains supply at all until the rainy season.

Thailand's mismanagement of its water resources under all governments is a national disgrace.

Droughts and floods year in year out.

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Farmers can change find other jobs, other people do the same if their job does not work out. Why is it people think farmers should be different.

Your lack of respect for normal people who just want their fair share is beneath contempt. 

In my country farmers take less water when there is a drought as EVERYONE has a right to water and farmers are not entitled to more. Drinking water is more important then farmers.

Farmers change they jobs? to what wife's son in law 40 years old all he has known is rice farming ,him like thousands of others re-train? in a lot of rural areas they is no other work .

When I fist come here 20 years ago ,saying was half of Bangkok was built by Issan rice farmers ,no work in at home down to Bangkok and building sites ,then back to Issan to plant/harvest rice ,as most taxes in Bangkok are driven by Issan people perhaps a few thousand more taxis driving around ,that would help the rice farmers .

Farmers not growing food because you said they can not have the water ,not only rice , but fruit and vegetables ,too you would soon complain if food prices went up like they would.

And most drinking water comes from underground supply not rivers . 

3 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Farmers change they jobs? to what wife's son in law 40 years old all he has known is rice farming ,him like thousands of others re-train? in a lot of rural areas they is no other work .

When I fist come here 20 years ago ,saying was half of Bangkok was built by Issan rice farmers ,no work in at home down to Bangkok and building sites ,then back to Issan to plant/harvest rice ,as most taxes in Bangkok are driven by Issan people perhaps a few thousand more taxis driving around ,that would help the rice farmers .

Farmers not growing food because you said they can not have the water ,not only rice , but fruit and vegetables ,too you would soon complain if food prices went up like they would.

And most drinking water comes from underground supply not rivers . 

you are absolutely correct .... unfortunately in the last 20 years jobs seekers have to be more adaptive and multi skilled, it's a sign of the times.  I realize we are talking Thailand, however if he was in Australia or the UK or US they would make him more multi- skilled through training and government programs.

Sadly,  the world has changed so you can forget the permanent job, you can forget owning your own home, you can forget most things because no everyone/ employer wants to rip you off more than before.

And if you disagree with my comment please feel free to explain... because it's the god damn truth !!!

8 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes of course but in times of globalization there is no need for it to be raised here. So if there is a drought and farmers use more then their fair share then its a crime IMHO.

Could you explain to me why farmers should be allowed to take water for free and more then other people ?. There are other products that require less water.  Rice uses too much water. 

Also as an accountant I see many small businesses go bust but that is ok but for farmers its not allowed why is that. Why do farmers think they are special ? If you fail at something then do something else don't expect others to subsidize you.

Sorry my hostility towards farmers comes from the idea that farmers are quite militant all over the world. That normal businesses are ok to go broke but when it comes to farmers all of a sudden that is not an option. I have grown up among farmers I know them well. Always complaining always wanting a helping hand while this does not apply to other small businesses that go bust. Its just not fair. 

Just let the market rule and let the market sort it out just like with other businesses. 

You come from Europe ,farmers in Europe get a Single Farm Payment ,a subside to me and you ,all arable farmers get it the farmer with his his thousand acars ,the guy with his 10 acars , growing all types of arable crops ,not just one like Thailand .

Do you complain about them ,and you are/where a European tax payer subing them .

Farmers are here to feed the world ,if the likes of Ford,Boeing,went bust the world could still feed its self ,if all the farmers went bust. 

16 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Rice farming is unsustainable and clearly all Thais should stop eating it and switch to something else.

I mentioned this to Mrs Rooster.

Anyone know of a good hospital where I can get my boxed ears sorted out?

Rooster

Introduce your Dear Lady to potatoes!

My Mrs had never even tasted a potato in her 50 odd years of existence, and she would look at them in the supermarket in the same way that I would look at Pampers nappies - it's something other people would buy.

Now she loves them and has spuds with everything. Tom Yum Goong with baked potatoes, Pad Thai with baked potatoes, Pizza with baked potatoes.....

Educate her Mr Rooster, educate her ????

Tom yum going is my favorite.   And I love potatoes.  

I have heard that big corporate farms  have many wells and of course understand pumping system design and grow  crops all year long.  Even seem to ok with late canal opening in the chokchai area last year.   Because they had plenty of water from the wells.    This friend also tells me farmers  put spiral pumps into her canal at night and cops  wont do anything.   She also has herds of cattle trespass to eat her corn stubble and cops say to contact the village chief but he is in on it.  Makes me so mad.  If this was Texas it would be legal to shoot animals or people on your land.  

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Thailand with massive air pollution and no water.

People never planning for how much worse it can still get.

Not just air pollution. All the "vitamins" for the fields end up in the ground water supply, as well as all th oh-so-healthy pesticides. Add the malfunctioning garbage disposal and dump sites everywhere. Thais are killing their environment with an accelerating pace. 

9 hours ago, PhilAtUbon said:

Introduce your Dear Lady to potatoes!

My Mrs had never even tasted a potato in her 50 odd years of existence, and she would look at them in the supermarket in the same way that I would look at Pampers nappies - it's something other people would buy.

Now she loves them and has spuds with everything. Tom Yum Goong with baked potatoes, Pad Thai with baked potatoes, Pizza with baked potatoes.....

Educate her Mr Rooster, educate her ????

Believe me I did. She took to potatoes like a duck to water - sometimes I am concerned that this will lead to a potato shortage in Thailand. On the plus side she cooks a mean roast potato. 

Despite being slip her stomach seems like a bottomless pit when it comes to all forms of vegetation and animal.

Rooster

Archived