Thailand drought: A river with no water - clearest sign yet of crisis

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, sungod said:

Meanwhile, up stream in China..........

China has built 7 hydropower dams on the upper Mekong River and plans to build 21 more. That doesn't take into account Laos, which is also building dams on the Mekong, though they already have many on tributaries to the Mekong.

18 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

Hopefully now these goons in charge will actually be blamed for spending billions of THB on military gear over actually helping the country's natural resources. 

Sure, because previous governments dealt so well with floods and droughts.

1 hour ago, CGW said:

Travel outside the city, go spend some time with the "farmers" that you dislike so much from the negative view that you get from the media, most have no access to water! Do you have any idea what the yearly income is for farmers, its a lot less than the conglomerates that loan them the money to make a pittance!

Seeing how much farmers contribute to the current air and water pollution levels, I can understand the lack of respect. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Fair share is the same as everyone else why should farmers have more rights to a free resource ? Everyone is entitled to fair share farmers take more then their fair share.

Life or no life its stealing from others. I guess your one of those people who think people don't have equal rights.

Farmers can change find other jobs, other people do the same if their job does not work out. Why is it people think farmers should be different.

Your lack of respect for normal people who just want their fair share is beneath contempt. 

In my country farmers take less water when there is a drought as EVERYONE has a right to water and farmers are not entitled to more. Drinking water is more important then farmers.

Seems to be the way in Thailand - rather like the taxis taking up all the “free” parking spaces to run their private businesses, meaning other business owners lose customers who cannot Park nearby to use their restaurant or shop. It’s all about “me me me me me” and <deleted> the rest of you! 

I was involved in a project to install a dam on the river Yom 20 years ago to store water to prevent flooding downstream and to conserve water for farming and drinking water. The local farmers, whose land would be taken for the dam, attacked our team carrying out the EIA and the dam has not been built although it was part of the King's plan by JICA in 1982. Each year, ever since, the farmers have complained that the river runs dry and they have no water.

2 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I was involved in a project to install a dam on the river Yom 20 years ago to store water to prevent flooding downstream and to conserve water for farming and drinking water. The local farmers, whose land would be taken for the dam, attacked our team carrying out the EIA and the dam has not been built although it was part of the King's plan by JICA in 1982. Each year, ever since, the farmers have complained that the river runs dry and they have no water.

Lovely people those farmers. Would they not get compensation for losing their land ? If not I can understand the frustration. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Do explain to me why farmers should always get more then normal people.

Again, where did I say that?

You consider that you are getting your information from indisputable sources - does such a entity even exist anymore.

All I can see is the reality, if I drive 50+++ kilometres in any direction I don't see gangs of marauding (Red shirt) farmers stealing water and fields of beautiful green rice, I see dry & dusty fields with next to nothing growing in them, unless the farmers have found a way of hiding the stolen water & green fields? that is the reality, If I drive from here to Korat which is about 300k, I will see the same dry and dusty view, you believe what you choose too from the "government" propaganda you read, I will stick with reality.

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

The Yom River doesn't go anywhere near China,  it originates within Thailand, but don't let that deter you.

In case you missed it in the article: "There have been reports that the Maekhong River has dried up. . . " And the Mekong does originate in China.

4 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

And if I read one more comment about how Songkhran is the problem, I will scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon!

I would buy a ticket to watch that. There's a new source of income for you. How many eyes do you have?

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Again, where did I say that?

You consider that you are getting your information from indisputable sources - does such a entity even exist anymore.

All I can see is the reality, if I drive 50+++ kilometres in any direction I don't see gangs of marauding (Red shirt) farmers stealing water and fields of beautiful green rice, I see dry & dusty fields with next to nothing growing in them, unless the farmers have found a way of hiding the stolen water & green fields? that is the reality, If I drive from here to Korat which is about 300k, I will see the same dry and dusty view, you believe what you choose too from the "government" propaganda you read, I will stick with reality.

You seem to totally misunderstand what I say. I have no respect for the farmers that are now still watering for an extra crop in the dry season. I have nothing against the other farmers who are not doing this.

I don't think that every farmer is doing this, but there are quite a few that have planted for a crop in the dry season and those farmers are the ones that i feel are selfish. 

In your area they can't take water as there is none to take. But are you so sure they would not do so if there was a stream they could tap water from even if it meant a village would go dry. Sorry.. i just don't have high expectations of farmers. 

Also given how they burn when they want to burn without thinking of the effect on others. They just lost respect. I do have respect for the good ones that run a business without depending on handouts and that at least do their best not to impact others.

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Fair share is the same as everyone else why should farmers have more rights to a free resource ? Everyone is entitled to fair share farmers take more then their fair share.

Life or no life its stealing from others. I guess your one of those people who think people don't have equal rights.

Farmers can change find other jobs, other people do the same if their job does not work out. Why is it people think farmers should be different.

Your lack of respect for normal people who just want their fair share is beneath contempt. 

In my country farmers take less water when there is a drought as EVERYONE has a right to water and farmers are not entitled to more. Drinking water is more important then farmers.

In my country, we have a saying: If you criticize farmers, don't do it with you mouth full.

26 minutes ago, zydeco said:

In case you missed it in the article: "There have been reports that the Maekhong River has dried up. . . " And the Mekong does originate in China.

In case you missed the giant picture in the OP, it's of the Yom River.

'There have been reports.....' In case you missed the other giant picture of the Mekong UTL which shows it several hundred miles downstream from China, dated only a week ago........

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

I don't think that every farmer is doing this, but there are quite a few that have planted for a crop in the dry season and those farmers are the ones that i feel are selfish. 

I think you are correct with that statement ???? but you focus on the very small minority who are able to redirect water, as do the "media" as it makes for better PR than focusing on the majority who are living in the reality of dry and dusty conditions - as they always have.

Look at a map of the Central plains and Isaan, where are they stealing this water from?

Would the farmers take water if they could? most likely - yes, Thai's are the most self centred people I have met, but in reality, the village would say something and take action if there supply of water was being "stolen, though it makes a great dramatic story for the likes of the BP, the government is not going to admit they could do more, instead they prefer to have their "media" run with stories about the nasty (Red) farmers who are stealing all the water!

As there appear to be so many villages that are being deprived of water by these renegade farmers, care to name a few?

You have a misconception about Farmers, they don't "run a business" they are servile beings, they live hand to mouth in servitude to their masters who are in Bangkok, just as they always have.

As I said previously look how much they earn from rice - it's pathetic, once they have paid off all the debts incurred in growing the rice, there's nothing left, beyond me why they bother. Seeing is believing and as I said we have rice land - its not worth bothering with, thankfully I have a choice.

This is a picture of the Mekong river at Nong Khai, as you can see it is fairly full, so China cannot be blamed here, I think the dam further down at LAOS is clearly to blame, along with Farmers trying to pump out water for multiple annual rice growing!  

I have been to many other rivers from China into the borders atThailand and most or many look okay?

TimePhoto_20200102_144207.jpg

TimePhoto_20200102_144148.jpg

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Don't worry about drinking water, there are pallets of bottled water at every mini mart and supermarket.  And If that runs out the bottles can come from Laos.... just like last time.

4 hours ago, Enoon said:

I would have thought that a "fair share" was whatever was needed to keep a crop from dying.

Missing a shower or two is unlikely to destroy the life of an industrial worker, an office worker or a street trader.

It might make their places of work a bit smelly, but it is not essential to their survival, or that of their family, or their community, their region or those who "consume" what they "produce".

Not essential to your survival for that matter.

Your Urban Thai, diminished, "respect", for farmers, is beneath contempt.

Dude your way off base. I live rural Thai farm life. Don't give me that dribble about the farmers. 

These folks have other alternatives than greed. Poison everything to heck with everyone else's health. Suck it up Dude and do the SIMPLE research into alternatives. They are out there. Everyones so focused on mememememememememem that can't see what the alternatives are

and they are out there. 

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Sure, because previous governments dealt so well with floods and droughts.

...but...but Thaksin?

How about addressing the guys in charge now?

Like you did way back when...you know...it was all Yinglucks fault, that here was a flood... 

I agree with the "meanwhile upstream in China" comment. Not quite sure what everyone's definition of drought is; however, in my eyes there should be an expectation of rain as one of the requisites. When you know damn well it's not going to rain then "drought" becomes "meanwhile upstream in China". 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Do explain why you think they have more right to water then others and why they and not others should be always bailed out ?

Farming is an industry which needs water to operate. Perhaps this discussion should be broadened out to also include breweries for example?

Archived