PM Prayut and Interior Min: Govt working to address air pollution issue

webfact

1 minute ago, ParkerN said:

Makes one wonder for how long the Thai people ar going to put up with these comics don't it? It's said that a population gets the government it deserves, but what does it say about the Thai population when this lot is all they deserve?

You could say the same about Australia where the election a bare six months ago re-elected a governing party who are utterly paralysed when it comes to responding to the latest bushfires

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Additionally, the Minister of the Interior instructed provincial administrations to discourage residents from outside burning and using slash and burn farming techniques.

Another load of useless, do-nothing poppycock.... predictably....

"Discourage" residents from burning? How about the RTP get off their a**ses and arrest those burning and toss them in jail...   That would begin to make a dent in the air pollution problem.

6 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

Can I be PM, now?

Since it doesn't take any clue, any idea, any will for change, any ...thing...it must be the easiest job in the world!

Sure but think of all the well-informed, well-intentioned, reasonable commentary you'll get from foreigners on TV

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, yokat said:

Vehicles surely contribute to the pollution but just look at the charts, it peaks at night when less people are actually on the road. ( https://aqicn.org/city/bangkok )

I also agree that street level pollution by old vehicles is terrible and it could very well have a stronger health impact than the smog, but that's not the meat of the problem discussed here.

The burning season starts, the smog comes back. Thailand is redder than Australia on this 24hr fire map

During new year, when there were far less vehicles on the roads in Bangkok, (and as well as making it easy to get from A to B), there were also beautiful blue skies during the day and stunning sunsets. Vehicle overpopulation is a major contributor to the pollution, and that at least is a factor that could be controlled, if there was any willingness to seriously tackle the issue.

• Thanks 1

The government is doing its best to tackle air pollution

What a joke. There's nothing done, absolutely nothing. I hardly ever see them washing the roads. There's always something burning at any time of the day. What about old diesel cars that spew toxic fumes? What about factories polluting the air? There's nothing done, absolutely nothing. Just talk, but no action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, samtam said:

During new year, when there were far less vehicles on the roads in Bangkok, (and as well as making it easy to get from A to B), there were also beautiful blue skies during the day and stunning sunsets. Vehicle overpopulation is a major contributor to the pollution, and that at least is a factor that could be controlled, if there was any willingness to seriously tackle the issue.

Same thing in Chiang Mai, deep blue skies. I figured that the farmers were taking a break from burning due to new year. Mind you, traffic was hell as always here in CM.

12 hours ago, webfact said:

Additionally, the Minister of the Interior instructed provincial administrations to discourage residents from outside burning and using slash and burn farming techniques.

Discourage huh? If the law didn't work during the ban how do you discourage someone? 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

The Minister also urged motorists to switch to public transportation instead of using their own vehicles.

Why don't you build parkinglots at the skytrain stations? I mean good ones for motorcycles so they can park right next to the entrance??

I've seen one but the motorcycles have to park at the other end, far away from the entrance....to use the skytrain we just have to walk too much and stand in the heat too much. Also standing in the train is no fun.

Dear Prayut:

You'll get somewhere if the police start putting smoke-belching vehicles off the road, and jail poo yais in the villages where they burn forests for the mushroom harvest. I won't hold my breath, though.

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Dear Prayut:

You'll get somewhere if the police start putting smoke-belching vehicles off the road, and jail poo yais in the villages where they burn forests for the mushroom harvest. I won't hold my breath, though.

I can smell it when my neighbour starts his old car, the whole street smells of burned oil...it's has a worn out motor but of course he's not going to fix that....he always opens the hood when he comes home so it's easy to fill up the oil...

6 minutes ago, fruitman said:

I can smell it when my neighbour starts his old car, the whole street smells of burned oil...it's has a worn out motor but of course he's not going to fix that....he always opens the hood when he comes home so it's easy to fill up the oil...

when it gets dark just throw a plastic canister of fuel under it and light a trail to the canister .....

Edited by steven100
  • Haha 1

The opinion on Prayut seems pretty unanimous.

Is there anybody who sees anything positive happening to prevent the smog?

When I took my son to school just after 6 this morning, I could only just see the outline of a nearby apartment block, which is only about 400 metres away, that's shocking, and on the way home this evening it was no better, the moon was red and only just visible through smog.

We wear particulate masks I bought from the UK but almost everybody I've seen today wasn't wearing a mask, I just don't understand that, they'll run from a light shower, take an umbrella into the sea, cower from the sun, but happily inhale heavy chemical particulates without a care...

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Why don't you build parkinglots at the skytrain stations? I mean good ones for motorcycles so they can park right next to the entrance??

I've seen one but the motorcycles have to park at the other end, far away from the entrance....to use the skytrain we just have to walk too much and stand in the heat too much. Also standing in the train is no fun.

Walking is good for you ????

6 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Another load of useless, do-nothing poppycock.... predictably....

"Discourage" residents from burning? How about the RTP get off their a**ses and arrest those burning and toss them in jail...   That would begin to make a dent in the air pollution problem.

First they need to provide trash pickup throughout the whole country not just certain areas until they do this the people don't have any other way to get rid of trash

• Like 2