Bangkok air quality falls below safety standards

webfact

Bangkok air quality falls below safety standards

By The Nation

800_95eea75d0309914.jpg?v=1578635984

The air quality in some parts of Bangkok is in unsafe territory, with particulate matter measuring less than 2.5 micrograms per cubic metre averaging 46-106mcg per cubic metre on Friday (January 10).

The data was revealed by the Air Quality and Noise Management Bureau after its 7am haze reading. 

The air quality standard guideline of Thailand’s Pollution Control Department stipulates that PM2.5 should not exceed 50mcg per cubic metre. The World Health Organisation prescribes that particulate matter should not exceed 25mcg per cubic metre in a 24-hour mean.

Due to the increase in dust particles, the bureau has suggested that residents in polluted areas avoid outdoor activities if there are initial symptoms such as coughing, difficulty in breathing and eye irritation especially for the elderly, children and respiratory patients.

The 26 districts where PM2.5 dust particles fell short of safety standards were: Ratchathewi, Samphanthawong, Phaya Thai, Wang Thonglang, Pathumwan, Bang Rak, Yan Nawa, Chatuchak, Bang Kapi, Lat Krabang, Thonburi, Khlong San, Bang Khen, Bang Phlat, Sathorn, Khlong Toei, Bang Sue, Lak Si, Bueng Kum, Suan Luang, Khlong Sam Wa, Bang Kho Laem, Bangkok Noi, Phasi Charoen, Bang Khun Thian and Phra Nakhon.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380358

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-10
  • Sad 2

I have heard there are other places in Thailand where people live, some of them are a bit bothered by the annual smoke deluge in their area too.

Of course I could be wrong, but thought I would mention it.

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

Surely the headline should read dangerously exceeds all known safety levels ??

Indeed.  It should be stated that Thailand's "minimum air safety levels" are way way above any considered safe by western countries.  They have already moved the goal posts and now blow them out of the water.  Quite an impressive feat!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The air quality in some parts of Bangkok is in unsafe territory, with particulate matter measuring less than 2.5 micrograms per cubic metre averaging 46-106mcg per cubic metre on Friday (January 10).

In all of Thailand, the air is not healthy indeed, I would say extremely dangerous for health.
The "protection" masks that have been sold for years with great profit are of no use, tell your citizens that because of the constant brainwashing, they believe everything that the authorities tell them!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, 30la said:

In all of Thailand, the air is not healthy indeed, I would say extremely dangerous for health.
The "protection" masks that have been sold for years with great profit are of no use, tell your citizens that because of the constant brainwashing, they believe everything that the authorities tell them!

The regular paper drugstore masks typically seen here, and sometimes handed out by the government, are no use in dealing with PM2.5 air pollution.

However, real N95 class particulate masks like those made by 3M and others, if worn properly and replaced as required, are very effective at preventing the wearer from breathing in air pollution. They're just not very comfortable to wear for long periods especially in hot and humid weather.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The air quality in some parts of Bangkok is in unsafe territory, with particulate matter measuring less than 2.5 micrograms per cubic metre averaging 46-106mcg per cubic metre on Friday (January 10

46-106mcgBS! It's been over 150mcg all day as high as 178mcg, at present where we are 160mcg!!! Still we have joggers in Lumpini park and kids playing in the park with no shoes. Oblivious. 

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The regular paper drugstore masks typically seen here, and sometimes handed out by the government, are no use in dealing with PM2.5 air pollution.

However, real N95 class particulate masks like those made by 3M and others, if worn properly and replaced as required, are very effective at preventing the wearer from breathing in air pollution. They're just not very comfortable to wear for long periods especially in hot and humid weather.

Yeah they suck, but you should get used wearing one of you plan on sticking around because it ain't getting better any time soon.

10 minutes ago, mickey rat said:

Yeah they suck, but you should get used wearing one of you plan on sticking around because it ain't getting better any time soon.

I have a 3M masks supply at home that I use outdoors when conditions warrant. But I prefer sucking on a home air purifier when possible, as a more comfortable alternative!

• Haha 1

Perhaps the authorities should be putting up warnings to wear masks  on the useless electronic signs above highways etc as the locals appear to be totally oblivious to the dangerous air they are breathing. It's the same here in CM, the burning season has started before new year ????

On 1/10/2020 at 8:37 PM, mickey rat said:

46-106mcgBS! It's been over 150mcg all day as high as 178mcg, at present where we are 160mcg!!! Still we have joggers in Lumpini park and kids playing in the park with no shoes. Oblivious. 

Or maybe they're just getting on with life and not over-reacting to something that, unfortunately, affects millions all over the world.

• Sad 2