Bank Letter

Hello,

Re: Bank letter confirming the 800,000 Baht in bank for retirement extension.

I am several 100 miles away from my bank branch and will be renewing my retirement extension here.

Presumably I can go to any branch of my Thai bank and they will do me the letter for immigration? 

Thank you,

Robert

I use Bangkok Bank and got the letter from a branch near Immigration, not the branch that I use.  Cost me 100 baht.

If you are doing the monthly deposit method, the statement has to be applied for at your branch and takes 3-5 days to get because it has to come from Bangkok.  Cost 200 baht, and you will also need the letter showing the balance, cost 100 baht.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, wayned said:

I use Bangkok Bank and got the letter from a branch near Immigration, not the branch that I use.  Cost me 100 baht.

If you are doing the monthly deposit method, the statement has to be applied for at your branch and takes 3-5 days to get because it has to come from Bangkok.  Cost 200 baht, and you will also need the letter showing the balance, cost 100 baht.

My extension is due soon. I do money in the bank method and have heard they will require a statement for the transactions from the previous 12 months. Will that statement take 3 to 5 days as well?

35 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

At most Bangkok Bank branches the answer is yes.

Other banks might do one while you wait (SCB is one of them).

Ok. That statement will not be fully up to date on the day I apply as it takes 5 days.. I take it they will accept the statement, a transaction on the day of application and bank letter for the current balance and photocopies of the bank book for the missing days between when the 12 month statement was issued and the day of application?

My Bangkok Bank branch in Seacon Square in Bangkok will not do the letter, they used to send me to head office on Silom road. I then had to drive to immigration on the same day, so I arrive late. If I did it the next day, immigration told me it must be the same day. Fortunately at CW Government centre the Bangkok Bank is down stairs and they do the letter in 5 minutes for B100.

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

My extension is due soon. I do money in the bank method and have heard they will require a statement for the transactions from the previous 12 months. Will that statement take 3 to 5 days as well?

Why do you need a bank statement showing 12 months transfers when using the money in the bank method? The bank letter is proof of having the required sum 2 months before the application, and you need copies of your bank book for 2 months back. 

31 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why do you need a bank statement showing 12 months transfers when using the money in the bank method? The bank letter is proof of having the required sum 2 months before the application, and you need copies of your bank book for 2 months back. 

I think he's talking a statement that confirms he did not drop below the Bt800K or Bt400K levels after getting his last extension approved.   Now if this is his first extension then the 2 month requirement would suffice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captpkapoor said:

Bear in mind that if you're using a USD fixed deposit (equivalent of 800 k baht), only the actual branch where you hold the deposit will issue you the letter.

For THB deposits, other branches of the same bank will do ot as well. 

You mean a Foreign Currency Account,right? 

If that means you are also several hundred miles away from where you normally live, better check that immigration there will do your visa there, anyway. As far as I know it has to be done at the IO closest to your registered address. 

6 hours ago, Estrada said:

My Bangkok Bank branch in Seacon Square in Bangkok will not do the letter, they used to send me to head office on Silom road. I then had to drive to immigration on the same day, so I arrive late. If I did it the next day, immigration told me it must be the same day. Fortunately at CW Government centre the Bangkok Bank is down stairs and they do the letter in 5 minutes for B100.

i was at CW last week got my bank letter and statement sorted the day before, no problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pib said:

I think he's talking a statement that confirms he did not drop below the Bt800K or Bt400K levels after getting his last extension approved.   Now if this is his first extension then the 2 month requirement would suffice.

That requirement came March 1 last year,so it shouldn't apply to him.

16 hours ago, alanrchase said:

My office simply requires the standard bank letter, 100 baht issued immediately, and copies of my bankbook (previous 3 months). I usually take the original but it is not asked for. 

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My office simply requires the standard bank letter, 100 baht issued immediately, and copies of my bankbook (previous 3 months). I usually take the original but it is not asked for. 

That is what my office has required before. However new rules have been introduced that require proof of a balance above 800,000 for three months after the extension is issued and account not allowed to drop below 400,000 over the whole year. I am happy to get a 1 year statement but if it takes 5 days to get one then immigration may claim it is out of date on the day I apply. I have been updating my bank book every week so there are no missing transactions over the last 12 months but it appears immigration will not accept that anymore.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

I am happy to get a 1 year statement but if it takes 5 days to get one then immigration may claim it is out of date on the day I apply. I have been updating my bank book every week so there are no missing transactions over the last 12 months but it appears immigration will not accept that anymore.

You could get the one year and then ask for a one month statement on the day you get the letter. I would think that would satisfy them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cnxgary said:

In a different thread JeffandJob posted that besides a bank statement and a updated bank book a bank certificate letter was also required. What is a certificate letter and how is that different from a bank statement?

A bank letter or a bank guarantee as many banks call it, is just a paper where the bank guarantees that your money and the amount meets immigrations requirements. 

A bank statement shows either every transaction during a choosen period or if needed monthly deposits during, for example, 12 months.

I wonder if Immigration will accept an ATM printout made on the same day that you are applying for your 12 month visa that shows that you have  withdrawn say 1,000 just prior to you arriving at the IM office along with a letter issued by your bank made the previous day. This is impossible to fake and  proves that you still have the money as of yesterday minus the 1,000 you've draw that morning. Just a thought for those people that live a long way from the bank and immigration offices.

2 hours ago, alanrchase said:

That is what my office has required before. However new rules have been introduced that require proof of a balance above 800,000 for three months after the extension is issued and account not allowed to drop below 400,000 over the whole year. I am happy to get a 1 year statement but if it takes 5 days to get one then immigration may claim it is out of date on the day I apply. I have been updating my bank book every week so there are no missing transactions over the last 12 months but it appears immigration will not accept that anymore.

You need the 12 months statement from your bank,even if takes up to 5 days. That's normal procedure now.

Updating your bank book every week is not necessary, at least once a month is needed to be able to see every deposit and even transactions. 

Edited by Max69xl

12 minutes ago, cheshiremusicman said:

I wonder if Immigration will accept an ATM printout made on the same day that you are applying for your 12 month visa that shows that you have  withdrawn say 1,000 just prior to you arriving at the IM office along with a letter issued by your bank made the previous day. This is impossible to fake and  proves that you still have the money as of yesterday minus the 1,000 you've draw that morning. Just a thought for those people that live a long way from the bank and immigration offices.

They don't want an ATM receipt. When updating your bank book after the 1,000 baht withdrawal and getting the bank letter,the amount must be the same. Your withdrawal will show up in the bank book. When I do my annual extensions I withdraw 2,000 baht the same day just before I get my bank letter and the bank will automatically update my bank book. I pay 100 baht for the letter and 1,900 baht to immigration. 

With BB you can do it in one day for income method if you have an up to date bank book showing all FTT transfer for each month for 12 months. They use the bank book to produce a credit advice letter for each transfer then do a another letter for immigration showing  the monthly transfers for the 12 months. You only need the statement if your bank book is not up to date and that will take 4-5 working days. Examples of that letter have been posted on this forum.  been there and done that

On 1/11/2020 at 6:38 PM, captpkapoor said:

Bear in mind that if you're using a USD fixed deposit (equivalent of 800 k baht), only the actual branch where you hold the deposit will issue you the letter.

For THB deposits, other branches of the same bank will do ot as well. 

In the case of Bangkok Bank, a Foreign Currency account is held at head office, but my local branch did me a letter saying that the required balance was, and had been in there for many months. This letter should be accepted by Immigration for up to seven days. No current account statements required in my case.