Thailand still has the death penalty: Fresh calls for ultimate sanction after horrific massacre in Lopburi

rooster59

5 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Timothy Evans was 100% guilty.....respected and trusted pillar of the street policeman Christie said so.

Rooster

If you read my post before typing you would have seen D.N.A. which at the time of the crime you refer to was not known about.

We know of all the innocents that were hanged. But this is here and now with sceintific backing , which has come a long way since Timothy Evans in 1950

Edited by NE1

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

I  would say the reason was that this guy is  a serious sicko and by. shooting the child the attention went that way and made it easier for him to escape.

Up the reward to 1 million BHT some one knows this guy and the bike he was on, also he looks to be able to handle a weapon so he may well be ex police or army.

Who ever he is, he is hiding now maybe across a border and someone will know him, uping the reward is the best way to catch this scumbag, I still think the BIB will get him.

He'll be nearby, probably still in Lopburi and be in custody or shot by Monday. Tuesday at the latest. The police are pulling out all the stops on this one, and rightly so.

Rooster

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

I would say the reason was that this guy is a serious sicko and by. shooting the child the attention went that way and made it easier for him to escape.

Up the reward to 1 million BHT some one knows this guy and the bike he was on, also he looks to be able to handle a weapon so he may well be ex police or army.

Who ever he is, he is hiding now maybe across a border and someone will know him, uping the reward is the best way to catch this scumbag, I still think the BIB will get him.

'Sicko' isn't a good word IMO. He just wanted to do a job effectively - just as we see happening in military conflicts followed by the Military covering up their child murders... as was the case with the SAS (and they're certainly not different to other special forces from other countries) asking unarmed boys having tea to put up their hands and then shoot them in the face for fun...

Maybe he was just a well trained soldier following his training to get some personal gain.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, NE1 said:

If you read my post before typing you would have seen D.N.A. which at the time of the crime you refer to was not known about.

We know of all the innocents that were hanged. But this is here and now with sceintific backing , which has come a long way since Timothy Evans in 1950

I saw your reference to DNA. There are still many cases even with DNA evidence that are not the 100% certainties that you refer to. Though I agree that the science is exceptional, such evidence can still be fabricated and a clever lawyer can still get the guilty off by proving that strict procedural rules were not followed. 

Rooster

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He hoped that having the death penalty would act as a deterrent to those intent on committing serious crime.

Obviously doesn't work.  There were 520 inmates on death row in 2018.

But in this case, when they get this guy, they should give him a queue jump ticket straight to the front of the queue!

Murdering (sorry "executing") a killer is pure revenge, giving a life sentence is punishment. 

No one has the right to take someone's life regardless of title or rank.

In some religions criminals think they'll come back in different forms.... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Some years ago i remember an incident where a Thai Ya Baa krak head took a young child hostage with a knife to the childs throat while the Police and public tried to calm him down. Unfortunately the krak head completely lost the plot and cut the childs throat, the Police feeling the mood of the mob and probably feeling the same way just walked away and let the crowd deal with him.......... I don't think there was much left of him when they'd finished, and rightly so.

Personally i think this guy should be caught and in Middle eastern fashion tied to a post whilst the family members all take a shot at him, maybe even sell a few tickets to the public as well....... Truly an animal that needs to be caught and killed........  

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

'Sicko' isn't a good word IMO. He just wanted to do a job effectively - just as we see happening in military conflicts followed by the Military covering up their child murders... as was the case with the SAS (and they're certainly not different to other special forces from other countries) asking unarmed boys having tea to put up their hands and then shoot them in the face for fun...

Maybe he was just a well trained soldier following his training to get some personal gain.

I'd really like to read an instance of anyone in the SAS shooting little boys in the face while having tea...... Please if you can forward me the article.....

Edited by SupermarineS6B
  • Like 1

"hoped that having the death penalty would act as a deterrent"

Hope in one hand

Poop in the other hand

Let me know which one fills up first?

Death Penalty is only a Deterrent if a society is willing to use it, quickly, efficiently.

The death penalty has sent innocents to death, it ought to require absolutely overwhelming evidence from a number of sources before it’s even considered. 

A better approach is to outlaw serious criminals so that society no longer provides them any legal recognition and no need to jail them at societies expense.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Taking a life as a punishment is just as horrible as the original crime itself, however horrific the crime. If you don't support murder, how can it be right to allow the state to mount what is effectively, state sponsored murder?? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, NE1 said:

In this day and age , the death penalty should be administered if the proof is 100%.....DNA etc.

I don't know why people think the death sentence is a deterrent .

It is a punishment.

deterrent

Absolutely correct: PUNISHMENT

4 hours ago, gjoo888 said:

Can they torture him for awhile before they exterminate him?

Why would anyone ask for torture? Do you derive pleasure from such an act?  The history of this country is such that  more often than not an innocent person is stitched up. Do you recall the case of the rape & murder of the two kids and how  "Burmese" were blamed and convicted? 

If you were given the opportunity to torture someone, would you do it? You know peeling the flesh off or pulling fingernails, or cutting open  the body and pulling out organs etc. I find such things repugnant as do other emotionally stable normal people.  Why don't you take some time to think over your request?

3 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Please define third world population, I am curious.

Rooster

3rd-world population = slighty thick/uneducated IMHO, IQ about 90 or less. Sorry for the (perhaps) excessive clarity; this is one of the few things I feel quite strongly about.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

Yeah...let your perverted thoughts run free.....

BMSB syndrome at it's very best. Sadly, this kind of instinctive (hind-brain) reaction is more common that many humans would feel proud to be associated with. Still, I suppose it takes all sorts to make a world.

Edited by ParkerN

11 hours ago, Chazar said:

Doesnt work criminals   dont think theyll  get caught........however they do  not  re-offend which is the main issue  for me

According to the research the death penalty, the threat thereof, doesn't act as a deterrent to criminals.

However, it sure does stop them repeat offending!

14 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

3rd-world population = slighty thick/uneducated IMHO, IQ about 90 or less. Sorry for the (perhaps) excessive clarity; this is one of the few things I feel quite strongly about.

You are confusing intelligence with education. Making broad generalizations of stereotype thinking typical of Western nations who label themselves first world in arrogant superiority in all things.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

There is absolutely no logical or scientific reason to think that the death penalty acts in any way as a deterant. At best it it acts as a money saving device so society doesn't have to pay for a lifetime of imprisonment but even then, appeal after appeal usual means a significant amount of time still spent in prison at taxpayers expense.

There's also the sticky issue of people being found innocent after being initially found guilty (advances in DNA profiling has proven many, many previous guilty people innocent). You can't free a dead person.

Since the death penalty is nothing more than public backed revenge, personally I think that 'life means life' is a much better option. A lifetime of incarceration has got to be worse than a quick painless death and obviously there is still a chance of exoneration if the evidence shows up.

As it was mentioned Thailand is on the same level as China and US in terms of death penalty. 

To live for decades in a prison however is more punishment than a fast death. 

56 minutes ago, munchlet said:

Taking a life as a punishment is just as horrible as the original crime itself, however horrific the crime. If you don't support murder, how can it be right to allow the state to mount what is effectively, state sponsored murder?? 

Because only left wing liberal more concerned about the rights of murderers than their victims consider it "state sponsored murder".

Some individuals, by their own actions, forfeit the right to exist. 

• Like 1