Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thailand still has the death penalty: Fresh calls for ultimate sanction after horrific massacre in Lopburi

rooster59

2 hours ago, ben2talk said:

'Sicko' isn't a good word IMO. He just wanted to do a job effectively - just as we see happening in military conflicts followed by the Military covering up their child murders... as was the case with the SAS (and they're certainly not different to other special forces from other countries) asking unarmed boys having tea to put up their hands and then shoot them in the face for fun...

Maybe he was just a well trained soldier following his training to get some personal gain.

Can you produce evidence to support your rather colorful story version of that event?

Were you present?

6 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

As it was mentioned Thailand is on the same level as China and US in terms of death penalty. 

To live for decades in a prison however is more punishment than a fast death. 

I recall Gary Gilmore feeling that way, and you or I might, but I doubt the majority of Death-Row inmates do. No evidence for that, just my own opinion FWIW.

1 hour ago, allenberg said:

Absolutely correct: PUNISHMENT

Yes it is. Unfortunately, it is too closelty allied to a superstitious belief in some kind of an afterlife, for which there is no evidence whatever. Underneath it all, humans are like most animals, they will believe whatever they are conditioned to believe. As tedious as that sounds.

Edited by ParkerN

"Giving human characteristics to animals, inanimate objects or natural phenomena is a human trait called “to anthropomorphize.” Sadly, as in the tragic Sea World attack the proclivity is forgotten as we wonder why the animal behaved as an animal."

We do much the same with so called, heartless killers. There is a wide range of psychopaths. Feelings of empathy, compassion and pity are mostly alien to them. Very clever psychopaths realise that their feelings and behaviour are not the norm and so they do their best to adapt and try to, at least, display normal human feeling.

Then there are psychopaths that have not had that realisation. They just assume that everyone feels the same as they do. Shooting an innocent two year old is an emotionless action similar to moving an inanimate object out of their way. They cannot comprehend the misery and grief that they have inflicted on the boys Mother and Father and beside that, they don't have the capacity to care.

There are lots of psychopaths. Many millions of them with varying degrees of psychopathy. They are not all crazed killers. Certain occupations draw them like flies. They are often very clever and unburdened with ethics and the like. The medical profession and police are just a few.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PJPom said:

I read that a shoot to kill order has been given, solves the problem and as a bonus excludes the Lawyers. I am of the opinion that waiting for twenty years before the penalty is applied is ridiculous.

It's very difficult to shoot to injure .  Keep the scum alive and make him pay every day of the rest of his life

3 hours ago, KenKadz said:

Death Penalty is only a Deterrent if a society is willing to use it, quickly, efficiently.

All the studies I have seen into countries/states which have the death penalty, do not see reductions in capital crimes, and conclude that the penalty is not a deterrant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Narong Wongwan said:

Torture till he dies from the torture would be better

That is what occurs in uncivilised places . I can understand your thoughts, but it behoves us to rise above base feelings. Nothing will bring those kiled back to life,no matter what happens to the perpetrator.

21 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He hoped that having the death penalty would act as a deterrent to those intent on committing serious crime.

He might hope, but I doubt that anyone, ever, anywhere, has paused in the planning or process of a crime to consider that he or she might be executed as a result.

6 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Yes, thanks for the link.

As a lifelong follower of the Best of British (and American!) crime I am well aware of the details and ramifications of the shenanigans at 10 Rillington Place. The main upshot is that Evans was posthumously pardoned. My mother used to spit blood about his conviction leading to me being a lifelong opponent of the death penalty. There are some cases where this conviction (pun intended) is tested but on the whole I prefer that our societies lock up rather than kill. However, being a father of many children I have sometimes wondered what I might do if I was personally aggrieved and whether those feelings should inform any potential to reverse my opinion on the death penalty. 

Rooster

Agreed. and I have similar thoughts. Still, justice should not be (and is claimed not to be) a matter of administering revenge. Surely we should be worth more than that? There are just too many factors for that to be the case; the whole jurisprudential principle is full of holes, non-sequiturs and travesties, and simply cannot be trusted to be anything other than getting your own back, being satisfied that someone has, or that the threat to our own safe little world is adequately countered..

There is no evidence that the death penalty is a deterrant so to use it is a pure emotional response - vengeance which has no place in a society that is caring, compassionate and free of draconian measures - the armed robbery is a response to wanting material things that others have and robbers don't have

Deal with the have nots in a fair minded way and these incidents will become history

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If they ever find this scum he should be wasted with his own gun by the relatives he slaughtered failing that there would be tens of millions of volunteers for sure ????

they should tie a concrete block to his feet and drop him of the bridge ....  

3 hours ago, JGV said:

There is no evidence that the death penalty is a deterrant so to use it is a pure emotional response - vengeance which has no place in a society that is caring, compassionate and free of draconian measures - the armed robbery is a response to wanting material things that others have and robbers don't have

Deal with the have nots in a fair minded way and these incidents will become history

It’s not a deterrent because it’s not used. It will never be a deterrent just to have it.  It has to be used.

3 hours ago, Nkpjed said:

It’s not a deterrent because it’s not used. It will never be a deterrent just to have it.  It has to be used.

Several studies done where it was used, and where it is currently in use ,contradict your hypothesis 

22 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

If they ever find this scum he should be wasted with his own gun by the relatives he slaughtered failing that there would be tens of millions of volunteers for sure ????

Respectfully, neither if those are good solutions.

One forces the relatives to become cold-blooded killers, the other allows would-be killers to experience the act they've dreamed of unrequited. 

I'm sure you were attempting humor but it fell flat with me. 

On 1/12/2020 at 9:27 AM, nodomino said:

I am of mixed opinion. Child murder seems to me to be a mandate for the execution of the perpetrator. 

I think any crime that impacts on a child has to be severely metered out.

Death penalty is the ultimate cure for some people. 

On 1/12/2020 at 12:11 PM, JGV said:

This wasn't just an armed robbery. He shot and killed people who were not preventing him from carrying out the robbery. Most 'have nots' do not go on a killing spree in a shopping mall. Let's not justify his actions. 

On 1/11/2020 at 8:48 PM, Snig27 said:

Data in the US has repeatedly shown that the death penalty doesn’t stop any initial crime,

Nonsense! There is no way anyone could possibly know how many people were deterred from committing homicide because of the death penalty.