Coronary Artery Disease- Attn, Sheryl, Please!

anexpat

Hi Sheryl,

Several members of Pattaya Addicts messaged me, suggesting that I contact you (I am currently in Bangkok)- they have posted in Pattaya Addicts, my topic’s titled ‘Coronary Artery Disease- Urgent!’ about my Coronary Calcium Score. They say, I believe, that you have a medical background and know the top doctors around Thailand (or S.E. Asia?)

Briefly, my Coronary Calcium Score was 328 in January, 2019, by December, 2019 it had risen to 389- an 18% rise! A score over 400 indicates ‘high likelihood of significant stenosis and high cardiovascular risk.’ I’m concerned!

*If* you have time to kindly recommend a doctor that could help me with this health issue, I’d be very, very grateful to you! I know we all have our busy lives, and I do understand that you may not have time for this. Of course I’m hoping you do!

I’ve been to Bumrungrad about this, and was (understatement) really disappointed with the doctor there. 

I’ll have to leave Thailand by January 22nd due to visa rules, so time’s starting to run low. 

I think that about sums it up, but if you want/need any more information, I’ll respond immediately!

Thank you for reading this. Enjoy your Sunday!

Best Regards,

anexpat

Edited by anexpat

Though the calcium score is important, it is a result of test that is can be unreliable. The next step is to do an exercise stress test. This may lead you to a cardiac catheterization which is the definitive test. This will show whether you have blockage or not and at that time an angioplast/stent can be done or coronary artery bypass surgery can be done. If blockage is less that 50% in any artery on the heart the results of the calcium score  is considered a false positive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, anexpat said:

I’ll have to leave Thailand by January 22nd due to visa rules, so time’s starting to run low. 

What visa are you on and do you have any type of insurance that would cover the procedure if any, and where are you going to, or are you re-entering Thailand after exiting Thailand ?

Cardiac calcium  scores are not exact and the difference between 328 and 389   is not necessarily significant so do not panic there.

However regardless with a score in the 300's  you should have a stress test and depending on results possibly an angiogram. (Could also go direct to an angiogram but it is expensive and invasive so most doctors would recommend stress test first).

I highly recommend Prof. Taworn Suithichaiyakul (sometimes spelled Thaworn). US trained and president of the Thai Heart Association. He can be seen at Bangkok Christian Hospital moist mornings and some afternoons.

https://www.bch.in.th/find-doctor/doctor-profile/?smid=4730

He is there tomorrow from 8 AM - 4 Pm but call to be sure. 02-625-9000, 02- 760-9000

At BCH usually no appointment is required but it is first come, first serve and should arrive early to get in the the queue. You will need to register first for a patient number.

Obviously, bring the results of both CTs with you along with any recent blood work and names of any medications you are on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, Sheryl said:

Cardiac calcium  scores are not exact and the difference between 328 and 389   is not necessarily significant so do not panic there.

However regardless with a score in the 300's  you should have a stress test and depending on results possibly an angiogram. (Could also go direct to an angiogram but it is expensive and invasive so most doctors would recommend stress test first).

I highly recommend Prof. Taworn Suithichaiyakul (sometimes spelled Thaworn). US trained and president of the Thai Heart Association. He can be seen at Bangkok Christian Hospital moist mornings and some afternoons.

https://www.bch.in.th/find-doctor/doctor-profile/?smid=4730

He is there tomorrow from 8 AM - 4 Pm but call to be sure. 02-625-9000, 02- 760-9000

At BCH usually no appointment is required but it is first come, first serve and should arrive early to get in the the queue. You will need to register first for a patient number.

Obviously, bring the results of both CTs with you along with any recent blood work and names of any medications you are on.

Thank you so much for your reply, Sheryl! I’m sure you owe me nothing, so for you to take time for me... tells me what a kind person you are.

That’s not a glib compliment!