Where in Asia can I find Good Air? AQI less than 50

manchega

As I read the forum and speak to others about air quality I was hoping for collective intelligence to provide some idea for better quality air locations in Asia, Indonesia appears to be a building site, the only decent parts foreigners are not allowed to go Much of Malaysia is polluted worse than Thailand and the government does not address it other than to provide false AQI,

So where can one move in Asia to get good air? 

mods - This is not a topic about current pollution levels it is about obtaining info from members on where in Asia is good

Southern Thailand is generally good, certainly better than Bangkok/Central Thailand. Barring the occasional appearance of the Sumatran Haze, which doesn't often get this far north, AQI is usually 50 or less. In my part of Hat Yai the PM2.5 reading is currently 7ug/mor an AQI of 29. 

Not sure why you doubt the Malaysian readings, I lived in Malaysia for several years and still visit often, sure like Singapore they can be affected by the smoke from Indonesia, but most of the time the air quality is pretty good, even in KL.

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

south doesn't look to bad but north? is that Hanoi at 210?

Screenshot 2020-01-14 at 5.41.58 PM.png

Vietnams air is in general no better than Thailand, the coast can be compared with phuket and co - cities are horrible. Same for pretty much everything, even singapore has horrible air at times. Usually the further south you go aka south thailand and malaysia is the best place for ok air. 

But compared to europe, lisbon for example... air is just not good here.

• Like 1

I’m often surprise at how many of the European cities fare worse than Bangkok at various times of the year... 

Few places consistently have great AQI, those am that do seem to be colder for longer periods of the year (not a scientific opinion, just a crappy observation based on glances at the AQI map over the past year)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m often surprise at how many of the European cities fare worse than Bangkok at various times of the year... 

Few places consistently have great AQI, those am that do seem to be colder for longer periods of the year (not a scientific opinion, just a crappy observation based on glances at the AQI map over the past year)

Yes you really need to pick the good ones like Lisbon, i think the way the wind is hitting it from the sea helps a lot.

On the other hand the italian cities even if they are coastal towns are horrible??

Naples for example, worse than BKK.

Problem is this can change rapidly fast, so moving because of this is questionable. There are just too many people and cars in the world imo.

italy aqi.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, sucit said:

Oceans are your best bet for obvious reasons. The more surrounding you the better. Indonesia, phillipines, taiwan, east vietnam.

That did not work well for the chappie trying to create his own sovereign village floating off the coast of Phuket I think.  Thailand may well have been the kinder of nations to have caught someone doing so, the others may set an example

Oceans are your best bet for obvious reasons. The more surrounding you the better. Indonesia, phillipines, taiwan, east vietnam.

pretty much, the phillipines looks best. vietnam gets hit by china pretty hard at this time of year.

its not reported much but cambodia has been on fire the last few months. complete lack of education

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

...funny query, I like it. The best air in the world currently is located within and about the Rocky Mts chain in the Western USA. Really, your air quality quest depends on air currents. So, research all prevailing winds and "westerlies."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Saw a documentary where they were checking the effects of pollution and decided to compare air quality from northern and southern Maldives. Southern Maldives were getting air flow from Antarctica and north was getting polluted air coming from... well, Asia. If you like Maldives... southern islands should give you as pristine air as you can find anywhere in Asia (and much of the rest of the World).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Agreed , Southern part of BALI & LOMBOK -- is the best choice at the moment

just check the weather data , during monsoon season - wind, rain, sea waves

can be fierce . Modern hotels & easy transportation now readily available .

Eastern Vietnam : seaside around DANANG . 

Your own apartment... not being snarky..

Get an air filter machine and then at least your indoor hours are fine.. And when you go out, it is important for quality of life to be somewhere that you might enjoy life... 

Just my opinion... I would not be happy living in Indonesia

On 9/6/2020 at 4:56 PM, Stocky said:

Did they move the Rocky Mountains to Asia?

There is no good air in Asia, It's like covid-19 changes often. It sure would be nice to breathe the air from the Rocky Mountains even if it's for one day.

Pretty much anywhere on the Andaman coast of Thailand has good air. 

And on the Gulf coast, from Prachuap south, is generally good. Occasional burning in Indonesia. But fairly good air, compared to that element they refer to as oxygen in BKK, and many of the northern and NE areas. 

Philippines - not around Manila but many of the other islands, especially Palawan is great very much so if you like perfect scuba diving.  Some of the other islands are great too, Cebu is nice and large, great diving and the Filipina ladies are gorgeous.  Don't go to far south as they have radical idiots that like to shoot people.