Future Forward pushes proposal to end ‘monopoly’ in spirits industry

webfact

26 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

From what I hear, there are hundreds of well heeled young Thais, that are lining up to open craft, and micro breweries, and the government costs and hurdles are so staggering, they have decided to not move forward. The administration is a sort of protection racket for the major breweries. This is a huge detriment to society. Saw this the other day at Icon Siam. If they are able to bring in these beers, why can't anyone else?

IMG_9816.jpg

And they do it Thai style already, see how few Heinekens are in stock!? That's how thai play the game, just make sure it's sold out so customers will buy another brand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Pita said the existing law prevents local farmers from turning their products into liquor, which can encourage small spirits business.

I would say 'discourage' rather than 'prevent'. (taken earlier at a local farm, and sold in 'Red Bull' bottles everywhere)

Photo0097.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

From what I hear, there are hundreds of well heeled young Thais, that are lining up to open craft, and micro breweries, and the government costs and hurdles are so staggering, they have decided to not move forward. The administration is a sort of protection racket for the major breweries. This is a huge detriment to society. Saw this the other day at Icon Siam. If they are able to bring in these beers, why can't anyone else?

IMG_9816.jpg

And why can't you make your own brew?

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

There are a few things that would make the top elite back down. One is the risk of their heads ending up on spikes. If Thanathorn manages to start a movement large enough, that risk would not be something they'd be willing to take. 

Which is why they'll take him out before he gets to critical mass. There will be the usual storm in the laukhao bottle for a few days, lots of outrage in social media and usual huffing and puffing and then nada, back to sitting on their <deleted> and taking it up the trademan's.

IMHO

TBH I am not sure that they can take him out now. They can trump up charges and I have no doubt that they will, dissolve the FFP party, but in terms of a final solution, I don't think that will happen as there are too many people who will be around to protect him. He is too well known to come to that

20 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Notice the tax stickers. Due to the insane amounts of produce needed to be able to run a brewery, they are doing it in Cambo or Laos and importing the beer back. It's insane.

Yet, they are selling imported American craft beer, which is excellent, for about $5 a can. Quite close to what is sells for in the US. There is something going on here. My guess is that this group is so big, and so powerful, they simply own a customs guy, who works almost exclusively for them, and they pay 5% or so on these imports.

20 hours ago, Thian said:

And they do it Thai style already, see how few Heinekens are in stock!? That's how thai play the game, just make sure it's sold out so customers will buy another brand.

The real question is, with a selection like that, why would you want to subject yourself to drinking just another heinekin?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The real question is, with a selection like that, why would you want to subject yourself to drinking just another heinekin?

Well because i don't expect any thai product to be good...

But to tell you, Heineken is a low class cheap ass beer in Holland...we have much better beer and the Belgians/Germans have the best.

I never drink heineken cause i hate headaches, and i'm dutch....i would rather pay double or treble prices for a quality beer...

Thai do the same with coffee now, they took the best one of the shelves and put more thai coffee on it...(in the Makro)...so we don't go there anymore now.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

Well because i don't expect any thai product to be good...

But to tell you, Heineken is a low class cheap ass beer in Holland...we have much better beer and the Belgians/Germans have the best.

I never drink heineken cause i hate headaches, and i'm dutch....i would rather pay double or treble prices for a quality beer...

Thai do the same with coffee now, they took the best one of the shelves and put more thai coffee on it...(in the Makro)...so we don't go there anymore now.

Is it not a Thai beer? It is made here, Do they use high quality, imported hops and barley? I doubt it. It does not taste very good, like the rest of the low quality Thai beer. All it really has is a famous name. As a matter of fact, I would rate the Thai beer as being some of the lowest quality beer in the world. Chang? Singha? Tiger? Angkor? Leo is slightly less offensive than the others. But really? Is that the best you can do?

• Like 1