Thursday’s smog outlook for Bangkok worst so far

webfact

20 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

The multitude of pick ups and buses spewing thick black smoke due to lack of maintenance might have a bit to do with it, too.

It's not from lack of maintenance, those pick up trucks making all the noise you see with black smoke billowing behind have been modified to produce maximum power, smoke and noise! Same goes for the 6 and 10 wheel trucks. TIT.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not so bad right now....  (the 880 on the map is an outlier...)

1200184431_2020-01-1611_11_23.jpg.5141c9a842ffbdd185ed8c7880174304.jpg

Yes, hope it stays that way....but that site has been pretty good at forecasting, unfortunately

2 hours ago, Sri Shina said:

When  we  were  travelling  east  from  Suvarnabhumi  my  friend  pointed  out  a  bunch  of  black  smoke  belching  plants  which  he  identified  as  coal  burning  plants.

I  have  learned  that  he  is  often  mistaken  so  thought  I  would  ask  the  the  informed  members  on  TV.

Not sure you'd see black smoke belching from coal burning plants.  I don't have up to date information, but there were small coal fired cogen plants in Map Ta Phut industrial estate on the eastern seaboard.  Perhaps there are some more now.  But natural gas/oil is still the major fuel for powergen in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, Misty said:

Yes, hope it stays that way....but that site has been pretty good at forecasting, unfortunately

In general, aqicn.org has been pretty good about presenting good current air quality data... and I keep pretty close tabs on their info vs AirVisual vs my own sensors throughout the year.

However, I've noticed two things:

--over time, their future forecasts don't seem to be particularly accurate... Not sure on what basis they're using to say what the air quality will be 2, 3, 4, 5 days into the future.

--in the last week or so, as the air here has been especially bad, they have had a lot of delays in reporting current sensor readings. Have no idea if it's some problem with aqicn.org's system, or, the Thai govt and other sensors providing them with the data.

24 minutes ago, mduras01 said:

something’s really wrong

EA305C59-2104-4648-8C8F-FDEBE34D600C.png

It's all those Cambodian diesels:

Capture.JPG.480093658583a6c4514050c9f9f583ed.JPG

2121731269_wind(Medium).JPG.7ec1f89c06be5f961b395e0d34d33fe3.JPG

They are so bad now they register as farmers burning their fields. In no possible way can it be actual farmers burning the <deleted> out of anything that burns, nononononono. Diesels.

2 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

It really is a no-brainer now if you have a choice and are aware - simply put don't come. 

It’s going to take some time to wrap things up here and buy a place somewhere else, but that’s the plan.  I would stay if every aspect of the country wasn’t getting worse, but after observing a decade of degradation, there is not much hope in my eyes.  It’s been a long road going backwards for Thailand.