Stupid Thai Tricks - Don't Ever Turn On Headlights During The Day

My wife informed me that I would get a ticket if I turned on my headlights at a time other than night. I thought she was nuts but then heard the same thing from other people.

It's an invitation for one of Thailand's finest to stop you and extort money from you.

I noticed that few cars come with this option.

Anyone care to explain the logic behind this stupid Thai Trick?

My wife informed me that I would get a ticket if I turned on my headlights at a time other than night. I thought she was nuts but then heard the same thing from other people.

It's an invitation for one of Thailand's finest to stop you and extort money from you.

i don't know how true it is but i do drive with my lights on when i am on road trips and sometimes i have peopel honk at me but have never been stopped or run into :o

On certain stretches of road I use side lights with fog lights on, mainly on roads that are under construction and have stretches of dual carriageway that then go into 2 way traffic on one side of the road only. Accidents can easily occur in these situations.

Also on the 314 road towards Pak Thong Chai to Kabin Buri over the mountain, at the moment that is also under construction and is a dangerous road as people are trying to overtake the painfully slow trucks as they struggle up the hills.

Lights on in those conditions are a must in my book.

I have never had a problem with the Police for this.

Before they allegedly reversed the supposed law for motorcycles, I always rode with lights on, high beam. Still do. I'm not blinding them, just announcing my presence.

First, I'll guess this 'law' is an urban legend, or a rural legend. Second, I'll guess it's never enforced.

STRANGE THAT, MOTORCYCLES ARE NOW COMING WITH HEADLIGHTS WIRED ON PERMENANTLY !

its the law for motorbikes but i don't believe its the law for cars.

I really doubt that. All scooters produced in the last few years have a permanently-lit headlight. There's no off switch on my Wave 125i. Makes a lot of sense for those too, they are much easier to see this way.

I drive with my truck lights on 24 hours a day in england(you would be suprised how many motorists still dont see a 40ft truck coming at them).When in Thailand at night i see loads of kids on bikes at night with no lights on,i thought they were trying to be macho/untouchable sort of thing,but apparantly to conserve fuel.Very sad,dangerous.

I have been stopped once in BKK for that but that was 10 years ago - so i do believe that there is a rule about it.

I Now still always drive with sidelights and center foglights on. Will let you know when/if I get busted! :o

Cheers!

I have been stopped once in BKK for that but that was 10 years ago - so i do believe that there is a rule about it.

I Now still always drive with sidelights and center foglights on. Will let you know when/if I get busted! :D

Cheers!

Center foglights? :D Is there any fog? :D So you're the one blinding me :o

I have been driving in Thailand for 21 years now. I use to get lights flashed at me and was pulled over a couple of times, but never a ticket, when I had my lights on. A couple of years ago Thailand made it the law that all new motorcycles must have their lights on at all times, I think that law has made the Thais realize that it is safer to have the lights on, and although they still are very lax at practising the concept since the law was passed I have not had any lights flashed at me. I turn on my headlights when ever I am on a two lane road, if I remember. I always turn on my headlights, not my parking lights, I feel you can always see headlights but it is not true for parking lights. In Canada all cars have to have front lights on at all times. Issangeorge

I have been driving in Thailand for 21 years now. I use to get lights flashed at me and was pulled over a couple of times, but never a ticket, when I had my lights on. A couple of years ago Thailand made it the law that all new motorcycles must have their lights on at all times, I think that law has made the Thais realize that it is safer to have the lights on, and although they still are very lax at practising the concept since the law was passed I have not had any lights flashed at me. I turn on my headlights when ever I am on a two lane road, if I remember. I always turn on my headlights, not my parking lights, I feel you can always see headlights but it is not true for parking lights. In Canada all cars have to have front lights on at all times. Issangeorge

May i ask, what exactly are "parking lights" I've heard of "side lights" "head lights" "reversing lights" errrmm can you answer? :o

what always strikes me as strange is when they quickly flash the headlights off and on at intersections. :o

or when you are waiting to make a U turn and the on-coming car flashes its lights :D

I am not sure what side lights are. In Canada I have always called the small amber lights at the front of the car parking lights. They were the lights people put on when stopping in a precarious position for a short time, now a days these are the lights that flash when you put on your four way flashers or your turn signals, probably the same as side lights, only a different term. Issangeorge

what always strikes me as strange is when they quickly flash the headlights off and on at intersections. :D

or when you are waiting to make a U turn and the on-coming car flashes its lights :D

Not strange to me, they obviously think we're all as stupid as they are about pulling out in front of on coming traffic etc. Probably confusing to new English person as we all recognise a flashing head light as some body giving way to you. :o

what always strikes me as strange is when they quickly flash the headlights off and on at intersections. :D

You ought to see the vehicles flashing as they speed through the red lights at the junction after Tesco going towards Udon.

Buses, heavy goods lorries and taxis ect. ect.

Horns full blast to accompany them as they arrogantly announce their .............................

Get out of the way, i,m coming through

The white No. 6 Taxis are really scary with lots packed with passengers / potential victims packed like sardines on board.

Especially before and after school times, it doesn,t do my sensitive stomach any good at all.

It is frightening regarding the " What If " scenario that crosses my mind, every single time.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Probably confusing to new English person as we all recognise a flashing head light as some body giving way to you.

Yes we do but it's wrong, always has been, the English highway code states flashing headlights as a warning not a give way.