Another Example of thai Customs and cheating

pixelaoffy

So had a pair of cheap trainers sent from UK . Royal Mail shipped. Family member marked them low value 10Pounds on Custom form . Get to Bangkok and get a note they have valued them at 2000 Thai baht and asking me for 743 baht custom tax.  Told them No way , and actually said "You bunch of cheats " when I walked out of Post Office.  My Anger in Thailand now turning to Resentment  time to leave soon I think 

Why not just complete a simple form, attach a copy of the receipt from purchase or other evidence of the price paid (internet ad etc) and claim a refund ?

Easy process, no hassle. 

Just a suggestion.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Why not just complete a simple form, attach a copy of the receipt from purchase or other evidence of the price paid (internet ad etc) and claim a refund ?

Easy process, no hassle. 

Just a suggestion.

" Claim a refund" ? This isnt possible in Thailand

3 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

" Claim a refund" ? This isnt possible in Thailand

its perfectly possible and I have  done it many times, you can either pay the fee and claim a refund or just submit the form and wait for an answer before picking up the item again at the Post office. Takes about 2 weeks or so.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

its perfectly possible and I have  done it many times, you can either pay the fee and claim a refund or just submit the form and wait for an answer before picking up the item again at the Post office. Takes about 2 weeks or so.

Ok thanks I will go back. You are sure the post office will have that form?

1 minute ago, pixelaoffy said:

Ok thanks I will go back. You are sure the post office will have that form?

Absolutely and as I said pay it and claim or just refuse and fill in the form and go back in a few weeks (the PO will tell you) and then see what the response is.

Make sure you have your evidence to attach to it etc.

Whilst this form does indeed seem useful (been here 20 years and never heard of it) it does not seem to be overly publicized

surprising that...eh?!

that's why i prefer amazon you pay tax up front and then get refund to your card

36 minutes ago, poohy said:

Whilst this form does indeed seem useful (been here 20 years and never heard of it) it does not seem to be overly publicized

surprising that...eh?!

that's why i prefer amazon you pay tax up front and then get refund to your card

If you use Amazon, the odds of getting charged are generally higher than, for example, AliExpress and taking your chances with customs.  In 100 (+/-) orders on AliExpress, I got charged on 3 or 4 of them.  In a dozen orders via Amazon, I got charged on every one. 

In fact, I abandoned quite a few shopping carts on Amazon when the import duties and shipping charges drove the cost up to ridiculous levels.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

I have regularly been getting refunds from Amazon to my credit card from what I assume is a reassessment of the value of items received.

I got refunds, too.  But never 100%.  Your mileage may vary, depending on what goodies you bought.

I'm not at all dissing the Amazon Global program.  It's up front and transparent.  

So actually it's the other way arround? Your family member indicated the wrong price because he wanted to help you cheat the customs.

For how much did your family member buy them? Shipping cost alone (which is included in the calculation) costs you a few hundred baht. So if your trainers did cost something like 1500THB, then a total value of 2000THB can be correct.

Edited by jackdd

8 hours ago, impulse said:

If you use Amazon, the odds of getting charged are generally higher than, for example, AliExpress and taking your chances with customs.  In 100 (+/-) orders on AliExpress, I got charged on 3 or 4 of them.  In a dozen orders via Amazon, I got charged on every one. 

In fact, I abandoned quite a few shopping carts on Amazon when the import duties and shipping charges drove the cost up to ridiculous levels.

Strange when i pay for amazon (just ordered a new Oculus rift S) all taxes and shipping are included. Maybe you as an US person got an other way of ordering without taxes. 

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Strange when i pay for amazon (just ordered a new Oculus rift S) all taxes and shipping are included. Maybe you as an US person got an other way of ordering without taxes. 

On my Amazon orders to Thailand, shipping and a set-aside for import duties were detailed separately and included in the total that I paid.  The total was unknown until I got to the point where I placed the order.  Sometimes (for example on a $15 paperback book) the shipping and import duties brought that $15 book to over $50.  Rather than place the order, I abandoned the shopping cart by deleting the book from it.

On those orders I did place, I often got a partial refund on the set-aside for import duties.  But never a 100% refund...  So I paid duties, but I paid them up front and not to the local Post Office or local customs office.

• Thanks 1

Seems like a farang cheat and a fair (maybe little high) Thai valuation. 

The tax is calculated on shipping and the item, Shipping is often around 800bt from the UK so this item might really get this high.

If he feels resentment, maybe should learn the tax rules and not try to cheat it goes wrong at times. 

From what Thai Post told me you can make the reassessment claim before you receive the shipment but once it's paid and delivered you can no longer make a claim.
Also If they don't believe the declared value they will estimate it by themselves.

Did you get a receipt for Tax payment when I asked for a receipt they told me they don't have one.
Personally I find products on Amazon way overpriced think that's because sellers have to pay Amazon like 20% commision + other.