Foreigeners not allowed to pay at Tesco Lotus

Templar Knight

This money-laundering stupidity has gone too far now. In the UK, I can walk into any bank and pay cash into someone else'e bank without ID, I can pay any bill in cash at the post office without ID, I can top up my Oyster card without ID, and the banking system there is far more advanced than in Thailand. Is it just stupidity that the person in charge of the software forgot that a foreigner needs to pay bills too, or is it a well-orchestrated method of adding another layer of hassle to ex-pats living here?

I'd be willing to bet that this anti-foreigner sentiment is trickling down from China - things have gotten pretty bad there lately for ex-pats. You may have noticed that Vietnam and Cambodia are also trying to implement more strict controls on immigration. Probably a knock-on effect from the way that Trump is treating China. Most of the countries in SE Asia seem to bow down to Mr Jinping.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

So do I but try getting them to stop taking that money !!! I had to close my bank account in the end. 

Now I make a new bank account, every house move... Put all the house bills in that account, and can control the final outcome by reducing it to zero. 

I have changed bank accounts a few times without any problem. 

It's easy to change bank account , not sure about stopping because I have never ask them to stop.

Yes, you can just create a bank account just for the utilities bills.

10 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I have changed bank accounts a few times without any problem. 

It's easy to change bank account , not sure about stopping because I have never ask them to stop.

Yes, you can just create a bank account just for the utilities bills.

Had problems every time.. Electric the worst but same with internet etc after moving out. Many months more billed. 

Biggest problem was leaving Phuket for Chiang Mai, even after confirming over and over it would stop, they charged the next 3 months after I moved out (villa, pool pumps, etc) and seemed impossible to connect with anyone to make it stop, the whole 'go back to phuket' answer wasnt going to work so closed the bank. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"paying on line i dont trust"???

How old are you, 80? 

Paying online using internet or mobile banking or an app is 100% safe. 

Probably safer, if the payment gets lost you dont need to dig in the 'receipts drawer' to find the proof of payment. 

Always hate it when your in a queue, and some old <deleted> pulls out his sheaf of papers (and now likely to kick off about his ID card).. Like move on gramps. 

This afternoon I went to a Tesco Express to pay the power bill. They wanted some kind of card and would not take my money.So I went to a 7/11 she leaned over the counter diddled a couple of numbers into a keypad and continued with the transaction, no problem.

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

I can do all that and more from my secure PC or Laptop.

I don't need no banking app on my phone that could be full of hidden spyware from the manufacturer.

Apps are a modern way forward stop living in the past. Yes you have to be careful with permissions on some apps, but I have many on my phone no issues. With banking apps you have all the functions available at all times when not at home. I only use my laptop now when I need to do some work or to look at downloads. I bet you are still using windows XP and Internet Explorer 6 arn't you, come on admit it lol.

• Sad 1

Just now, jimn said:

Apps are a modern way forward stop living in the past. Yes you have to be careful with permissions on some apps, but I have many on my phone no issues. With banking apps you have all the functions available at all times when not at home. I only use my laptop now when I need to do some work or to look at downloads. I bet you are still using windows XP and Internet Explorer 6 arn't you, come on admit it lol.

Why are apps the modern way forward ?...

I'll stick with my win 10 dinosaur, thanks anyways.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, DoktorC said:

For those of you using the PEA app, what number are they looking for on the login screen?  I get the phone number and the email, but tried my passport number but no luck. PEA is not listed as a bill payee on the Krungsri app so can't use that...  In the mean time I will have to use the 7-11 down the block.... mai mee bpan haa

Thanks

I used my Thai pink ID card number. Worked fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Probably safer, if the payment gets lost you dont need to dig in the 'receipts drawer' to find the proof of payment. 

Always hate it when your in a queue, and some old <deleted> pulls out his sheaf of papers (and now likely to kick off about his ID card).. Like move on gramps. 

A friend of mine doesn't have a clue about online payments. He tops up his phone in convenience stores and keep paying bills at the bank and in 7/11. I've never seen him using an ATM. He has never bought anything online. 

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Apps are a modern way forward stop living in the past. Yes you have to be careful with permissions on some apps, but I have many on my phone no issues. With banking apps you have all the functions available at all times when not at home. I only use my laptop now when I need to do some work or to look at downloads. I bet you are still using windows XP and Internet Explorer 6 aren't you, come on admit it lol.

And I don't think my K-Bank or Bangkok Bank app has any hidden spyware. 

3 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Biggest problem was leaving Phuket for Chiang Mai, even after confirming over and over it would stop, they charged the next 3 months after I moved out (villa, pool pumps, etc) and seemed impossible to connect with anyone to make it stop, the whole 'go back to phuket' answer wasnt going to work so closed the bank. 

It may just be a problem with the provincial Phuket electricity board. I believe other provinces don't have this problem.

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

This money-laundering stupidity has gone too far now. In the UK, I can walk into any bank and pay cash into someone else'e bank without ID, I can pay any bill in cash at the post office without ID, I can top up my Oyster card without ID, and the banking system there is far more advanced than in Thailand. Is it just stupidity that the person in charge of the software forgot that a foreigner needs to pay bills too, or is it a well-orchestrated method of adding another layer of hassle to ex-pats living here?

I'd be willing to bet that this anti-foreigner sentiment is trickling down from China - things have gotten pretty bad there lately for ex-pats. You may have noticed that Vietnam and Cambodia are also trying to implement more strict controls on immigration. Probably a knock-on effect from the way that Trump is treating China. Most of the countries in SE Asia seem to bow down to Mr Jinping.

"the person in charge of the software forgot that a foreigner needs to pay bills too, or is it a well-orchestrated method of adding another layer of hassle to ex-pats living here?"

They also ask Thai people for an ID.

And the passport works as it's supposed to do. Don't believe everything you read.

10 hours ago, Thaidream said:

How about I do not use Smart Phones because I refuse to make my phone information and my location easily trackable by any Government that continues to use and store meti data on the ridiculous presumption that it will stop terrorism. 

The worst example is my own Government- the USA- which continues to track everyone.  

It is absolutely absurd that anyone has to show an Id Card to pay a bill with cash anywhere or anytime.  

You seem a bit paranoid. 

5 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"the person in charge of the software forgot that a foreigner needs to pay bills too, or is it a well-orchestrated method of adding another layer of hassle to ex-pats living here?"

They also ask Thai people for an ID.

And the passport works as it's supposed to do. Don't believe everything you read.

If you read the thread you will see that they want a Thai ID and refuse everything else from a foreigner. Obviously if you are Thai it's not an issue.

10 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Paid my electric yesterday at 7/11 with no problem. Although the last two times I’ve paid they told me to press the green enter button on the card reader. I paid by cash so maybe pressing the

green button is..... Magic needed to make life easier..

it works so im good with it. I did have a thought to tell the family 

they like keeping lights on here pay it yourself.. .. naw that’d neve

work and they’d say I’m crazy.....

enjoy the day...

7/11 normally scans the barcode on the electric bill,at least PEA bills. Then the sum pops up on the cash register. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wayned said:

The lady at Tesco yesterday said that it had to be an ID that had the chip in it.  They wouldn't accept anything else including passport or DL.  I went across the streeet to a Big-C market and had no problems.

My Bangkok Bank ATM stopped working. I haven't used it for a while but none of the ATM s would accept it today.  There's been a message on the ATM for months about getting a new card but it was in Thai so I ignored it.  Off to BBL tomorrow to see if what the problem is as I have plenty of money in the account and internet banking still works, I think!

1)

Passport should work,but some employees doesn't know how to enter the number. 

2)

You probably have an old Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card. The ones with a 4 number pin code doesn't work anymore. Is your card chipped? If not that might also be a reason the card doesn't work.  

10 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I pay all bills online, except water and electric.  Those 2 I give to my wife to pay at local 7-11

Since May last year it's possible to pay the electric from PEA using Kasikorn Banks K+ app. But it's not possible using internet banking. PEA doesn't exist as a payee. Go figure. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

What did he try to pay? What kind of bill? 

I also know the guy

bill electric

7/11

no payment unless chipped ID 

he paid in cash at lecky office nothing required  ..figure that one out

10 hours ago, EricTh said:

It may just be a problem with the provincial Phuket electricity board. I believe other provinces don't have this problem.

Once bitten... 

Like I say, my MO now is to open a new bank each house, and automate all my outgoing payments right at the start. Total control. 

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

1)

Passport should work,but some employees doesn't know how to enter the number. 

2)

You probably have an old Bangkok Bank ATM/debit card. The ones with a 4 number pin code doesn't work anymore. Is your card chipped? If not that might also be a reason the card doesn't work.  

Wrong, at Tesco Lotus they checked the manual. It said that they cannot accept passports or drivers licenses as their system isn't set up for it. No instructions or the pink-ID card, so they don't know if that is possible. As it was a sunday they couldn't call for help from HQ.

Staff did their best in my case, but simply couldn't help. Problem is with management in BKK.

On 1/19/2020 at 2:53 AM, holy cow cm said:

I can't believe most the posters on this topic are lay down roll over complacent of the <deleted> this government is doing about stuff that is against basic freedoms and has zero to do about corruption as in money laundering. It is a means of full control I am not going to set up auto pay or do anything else of the same. This is just strangulation except for the ones running the show who I would think are all unusually wealthy and untouchable. Totally out of line and drives my spike and I would gather even the Thai people's spike deeper into the ground of dissent. Let's see what happens with FFP., What I can say is my son in Uni sees hatred building more and more each day towards the you know who. It is their future not these archaic saluting dinosaurs.

you are amusing to me

On 1/19/2020 at 4:45 PM, Templar Knight said:

When i was at Tesco the lady informed me it was also Big C and 7.  I have not tried them yet, but my wife was with me so she used her id.  I have not tried my passport yet but maybe next time i will try. I did ask about the passport but no reply or maybe she does not know how to input the numbers.  I will ask for a manager next week and hear what they have to say.  It is not just the foreigners that have to produce ID it is also Thais.  I cant understand why this has to be done. Next month my wife is going away maybe i will get her to leave her id ha ha

pay online! have you learned nothing from the responses to this thread?

32 minutes ago, Preacher said:

Wrong, at Tesco Lotus they checked the manual. It said that they cannot accept passports or drivers licenses as their system isn't set up for it. No instructions or the pink-ID card, so they don't know if that is possible. As it was a sunday they couldn't call for help from HQ.

Staff did their best in my case, but simply couldn't help. Problem is with management in BKK.

Why do you insist on paying at Tesco? There are alternatives such as 7-11 and Tops supermarket.

I used to pay at Tops supermarket for only 5 baht before I did auto-debit every month.

I take offence at the 

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Why do you insist on paying at Tesco? There are alternatives such as 7-11 and Tops supermarket.

I used to pay at Tops supermarket for only 5 baht before I did auto-debit every month.

It is not about not having other possibilities to pay. I simply take offence at their policy to refuse service to foreigners.