Foreigeners not allowed to pay at Tesco Lotus

Templar Knight

2 hours ago, Preacher said:

I take offence at the 

It is not about not having other possibilities to pay. I simply take offence at their policy to refuse service to foreigners.

Always with new routines this happens. I can't imagine Tesco Lotus management wants to exclude foreigners from paying their bills. Until it will be possible, pay somewhere else. I have never understood why foreigners keep paying their bills at Tesco or Big C when there are so many better options.

Happened to me in Big C, Mini Big C, Lotus Express and Tesco Lotus already. 

The writing is on the wall - they do not want us here anymore as they blame us for literally anything which goes wrong. This farangmania is getting worse by the day.

One alternative is to pay though telebanking (as I do) or to ask any bystander in the cashier queue to pay this on your behalf as you, godforsaken alien, are not qualified to pay your dues. Idiotic, brainless and very very arrogant nationalism by the uneducated; fanned by the educated to ensure that there is always a scapegoat ???? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Happened to me in Big C, Mini Big C, Lotus Express and Tesco Lotus already. 

The writing is on the wall - they do not want us here anymore as they blame us for literally anything which goes wrong. This farangmania is getting worse by the day.

One alternative is to pay though telebanking (as I do) or to ask any bystander in the cashier queue to pay this on your behalf as you, godforsaken alien, are not qualified to pay your dues. Idiotic, brainless and very very arrogant nationalism by the uneducated; fanned by the educated to ensure that there is always a scapegoat ???? 

It seems you're not used to banking apps or online banking. 

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Come again please!

That remember me one of my game

in front of each bar or gogo where a girl (Or a ladyboy)

screams at you in an hysterical way ''come inside, come inside''

i sometimes stop and ask her quietly ''are you sure it's really what you want?

Be careful what you wish for'' Usualy, after a short thinking they suddenly realize the way i

understand it, then we have a good laugh together

amazing Thailand

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 1:24 PM, jimn said:

A rather naive post. All phones have password or fingerprint protection, as do all banking apps. Totally secure.

So my last paragraph was correct. 

Passwords only work if you use them and they are strong. 

Apps not on your phone can never be insecure. 

Everybody has a choice. 

For me it's all about risk/benefit and minimizing exposure. 

If we've learned anything in the last few years it's that nothing is 'totally' secure. 

Edited by RocketDog
Addition

On 1/18/2020 at 5:47 PM, Templar Knight said:

maybe i need to go there and not Tesco, but this is very strange  I think i need to talk to management at Tesco and hear what their reason is.  It is so very strange

Don't worry about Tesco. They're outta here!

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2020 at 1:27 PM, Preacher said:

Strange but true. It appears that foreigners are no longer alllowed to pay bills at Tesco Lotus. I tried to pay my electric bill as usual today. But if you want to pay bills at Tesco Lotus you now have to show your Thai ID-Card. Passport or drivers license are not accepted. I have a Thai ID-card for foreigenrs, that was not accpeted. They didn't know how to proces it as the pink ID-card doesn't have a chip like the Blue ones for Thai nationals. So Tescolotus doesn't even accept an official ID-card from the Thai government. They did look in their manual to see what to do with a pink ID-card. But seems there was no mention of it. Wonder what the Thai government thinks of that. An official Thai ID-card is not accpeted as proof of ID....

I didn't came as far as paying the Tescolotus credit card. I guess that is now also impossible to do at Tesco Lotus. Do foreigners with a Tesco Lotus credit card now have to pay their credit card at the bank instead of at tesco itself? I wonder.

Any body else with this experience? 

Yes happened to me foreigners not welcome at tesco any more do i will shop elsewhere 

3 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im sure the powers that be at Tesco's dont know what is going on, If you cannot pay your bills there means you aint going to buy anything at the same time they would be losing a lot of business

I am sure the powers that be at Tesco know what is going on. They are the ones that decided that foreigners can no longer pay their bills at Tesco.

I assume this issue is limited to Tesco-Lotus because they simply don't have the facilitys to type anything into their system manually.

It happened to me several times that they were not able to accept a bill payment because the barcode on the bill was not readable by their scanner. They explained to me, that they where not able to type in the barcode number manually because their system simply does not support that kind of input.  

The barcode reader is something different than the input for the ID-number. I can understand that their system can't handle foreign passports, but not that their system can't handle a Thai ID-number for foreigners. Everywhere else they don't have a problem with that and I can't believe that Tesco Lotus card reader is different from the ones elsewhere where they can put in the ID-number manually.

If they really can't do that then it is an oversight when they bought their equipment, if they can they simply refuse it and that is ..................

On 1/19/2020 at 9:25 AM, Templar Knight said:

That was my mistake yesterday not asking for a supervisor as i was very mad. Yes i know that the Thai id has a microchip, and when they put my wife's in their machine it read it. Yes i know the passport is legal id for a foreigner, but they refused to take it yesterday. And as stated maybe they did not know how to enter the numbers.  But why has this come about it is very strange, and to me it is of no use producing id.  Maybe i am not thinking, but i just cant understand this. Who in all their wisdom decided to do this? 

Calm down. Hardly a major issue.

17 hours ago, thecaveman said:

I assume this issue is limited to Tesco-Lotus because they simply don't have the facilitys to type anything into their system manually.

It happened to me several times that they were not able to accept a bill payment because the barcode on the bill was not readable by their scanner. They explained to me, that they where not able to type in the barcode number manually because their system simply does not support that kind of input.  

If they can't type the bar-code in off of the bill, it's not an equipment problem it their software.  If the scanner won't read the bar-code off of a product you are buying, they type it in with no problem. When I tried to pay my bill in cash after buying over 5000 baht of groceries on my debit card they said no.  They asked for identification including my passport, i Gave it to them.  They tried and told me that it would not work and asked for an ID with a "chip" in it.  I tried to give them my debit card which has a "chip" in it but they said no.  They called a manager biut couldn't find one so I left and paid it with no problem at Big C Market accross the street.

On 1/19/2020 at 3:12 AM, Templar Knight said:

My life was not difficult until this happened for i would go to Tesco every week for something and it was easy to pay. Going to the bank i hate long lines and paying on line i dont trust.  I will get someone to pay it for me.  Who thought of this idea of id for paying for bills what is the benefit from this? 

Strewth, I wish my life were that 'difficult'! Wanna swap? Go on. Just for 24 hours. I guarantee you'll be positively over the moon at not being able to pay your internet at Tesco. :smile:

I pay all of my bills on line except electric.  In over 22 years I have never had a problem.  The only bills that I don't pay online is water a electric.  There is not a online payment channel for PEA only MEA, but I haven't checked recently.  I pay my water in cash to the lady on the motorbike  who reads the meter, but I am the last house on a dirt road in the middle of the boonies.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:27 PM, Preacher said:

Strange but true. It appears that foreigners are no longer alllowed to pay bills at Tesco Lotus. I tried to pay my electric bill as usual today. But if you want to pay bills at Tesco Lotus you now have to show your Thai ID-Card. Passport or drivers license are not accepted. I have a Thai ID-card for foreigenrs, that was not accpeted. They didn't know how to proces it as the pink ID-card doesn't have a chip like the Blue ones for Thai nationals. So Tescolotus doesn't even accept an official ID-card from the Thai government. They did look in their manual to see what to do with a pink ID-card. But seems there was no mention of it. Wonder what the Thai government thinks of that. An official Thai ID-card is not accpeted as proof of ID....

I didn't came as far as paying the Tescolotus credit card. I guess that is now also impossible to do at Tesco Lotus. Do foreigners with a Tesco Lotus credit card now have to pay their credit card at the bank instead of at tesco itself? I wonder.

Any body else with this experience? 

Simply boycott the store. It won't be long before they have a change of policy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

yesterday my wife had left her id card in the car ,so asked if they would use the picture she had on her phone ,would not accept that either , so went to 7/11 i paid no problem ,no id required ,Tesco your stupid .

I think Tesco are just doing what they are told to do. Do you think they came up with the idea about the need to show a thai ID-card when paying bills? 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

I think Tesco are just doing what they are told to do. Do you think they came up with the idea about the need to show a thai ID-card when paying bills? 

I think the government came up with the need of showing ID, but it is Tesco Lotus that only will accept a Thai ID with a chip card. They wont even allow the official Thai ID card for foreigners. Banks do, and they do not have any problems with a passport either.

52 minutes ago, Preacher said:

I think the government came up with the need of showing ID, but it is Tesco Lotus that only will accept a Thai ID with a chip card. They wont even allow the official Thai ID card for foreigners. Banks do, and they do not have any problems with a passport either.

There are reports that other stores than Tesco asks for a Thai ID, like Big C. Every bank does not accept a pink ID-card,but they always accept a passport because that's the type of ID you use when opening an account as a foreigner. They officially only accept 2 types of ID, the Thai ID-card and passport for foreigners. If people are complaining about difficulties paying bills in stores, and at the same time refuses to pay them online, it is 2020, and don't even know how to pay bills using an ATM, then they have imo no right to complain.