Metv before non o

I am 55 with a Thai wife and I plan on retiring in los in about 2 years 

My main concern is the new e visa system and getting a bank account in 30 days ,in order to obtain an extension 

My idea is to get an metv from hull then after say 8 months convert to a non o in Thailand.This gives me plenty of time to find a friendly bank to use rather than the 30 day panic.

Is this not a far easier way of settling in Thailand?

Don't wish to be too cynical but heaven knows for sure what will be required in 2 years time.

Your plan sounds OK at the moment although getting a bank account might be harder on a Tourist Visa than on say a Non-Imm-O. You have given yourself plenty of time to learn what the banks will need though. 

• Like 1

Best to get a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. That will give you a 90 day permit to stay that will give you plenty of time to open a bank account to put the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months before you apply for a one year extension of stay.

Also if you needed more time you could apply for a 60 day extension of the 90 days to visit your wife and then apply for the one year extension.

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Don't wish to be too cynical but heaven knows for sure what will be required in 2 years time.

Your plan sounds OK at the moment although getting a bank account might be harder on a Tourist Visa than on say a Non-Imm-O. You have given yourself plenty of time to learn what the banks will need though. 

I’m not expecting to open a bank account with a tourist visa

But my plan means that I can suss out which branches are friendly and most likely to let me open an account 

To be honest I am very concerned that all my local branches will just fob me off to avoid the hassle