Is Thailand Going Down In Flames?

thohts

For me it's all good. My only gripes are;

1) The undeserved strength of the Thai Baht, I REALLY HOPE IT CRASHES

2) The new visa on Arrival treaty with Russia, totally F'ed Pattaya up. I'm glad I don't live there anymore We went to visit and enjoy a few nights a the Royal Cliff over the new year and the whole city was filled with rude scuzzy looking package russians with their young children (morons). Then shortly afterworlds 2 russian hookers got shot up on the beach in Jomtien. Pattaya was a great place up until the last couple years. Even though now I could never live there again because I'm engaged and my fiance' wouldn't be comfortable, I stilled loved the place..got many fond memories there.

sorry there Nebkanezar but Russia has one of the greatest education systems in the world in math and science, so calling their kids "morons" would be erroneous

besides when has the thai school system resulted in any great leaders or inventions? Pad thai does not count

if you are going to flame on farang children, please know your subject matter first and get over your own insecurities before you flame on all Russians or farangs in general

Oh My Gods, you must be kidding me right? You read that like I was calling these children morons???? Read it again man, seriously. Children are blessed with innocence and I love kids no matter were they are from. I was calling their PARENTS morons for bringing their young kids to Pattaya. I mean is it really nessacary to bring your 10yr olds for a tour of Pattaya with all the other beautiful more family oriented places to visit in Thailand????

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and Bing don't be so quick to knock Thai kids and Thais on invention either. They may not have invented electricity but they do their fair share.....

Check this out I would buy it just to see it in action, leave it too Thais to make even fighting fires Sanook Sanook!

"One of the most intriguing innovations this year came from a Thai inventor. Former security guard Woradech Kaimart has developed a fire-extinguisher ball that can be thrown into a fire and explodes in the heat, releasing a cocktail of fire-quenching chemicals. At the same time, the ball emits a high-pitched alarm to signal for help. Woradech is negotiating with Thailand-based 7-Eleven convenience stores to put the ball on shelves in their 1,800 stores nationwide. He says he has also received interest from overseas buyers and a Singapore-based sales agent is marketing the device throughout Asia."

Taken from http://www.feer.com/articles/2002/0210_17/.../p038innov.html

Then The King has a huge contest (aptly called Inventors Day) every year to promote youth inventions...ya gotta love this guy.

http://www.nrct.net/eng/modules.php?op=mod...r=0&thold=0

I would speculate that Thailand is unappealing to some tourists and expats and appealing to some tourists and expats.

Its got problems, new and old. But any country has its good and bad points.

I personally worry only about the personal opinion the thai people has of the white farang. Cause once that changes the other gripes people have are miniscule in comparison

Fair enuf cdnvic.....but why is it mainly them doing it????? hmmmmm.... How do you say hoealicious in Russsian I wonder :o

It reminds me of a sign I saw in the mens bathroom outside on the grounds of the royal palace in BKK. Now everywhere you go around there you see signs in English and Thai, and a smattering of chineese. However in the bathroom there was a sign written on paper taped up to the entrance written ONLY in chineese. One can only wonder what the chineese were doing exclusive to the other multitude of nationalities of folks that required the staff to place a sign JUST in chineese.

Well I don't have a good opinion of Russians I have encountered in Pattaya, just plain rude. (won't comment further, just leave it at that) I have some good Russian mates, so I know this isn't typical russian behaviour. :o

Well get used to it. Unlike tourists from USA/England, there are a significant Russians come to spend; the new Central Pattaya is being built based primarily on Russian tourism; I've got a couple of clients taking space there and the only appeal is in reaching Russian consumers who are willing to drop 100,000b on a watch or similar.

Having put up with being treated as a second class citizen in Phi Phi 'because Thai people don't spend, so you have to sit next to the toilet and we don't have rooms for you to rent' I do understand that cash is king.

And in Pattaya, right now it is retirees and Russians mostly that are driving some sectors of the economy. Sex tourists... time to head off to Cambodia and the charming city of Angeles in the Philipines :-)

And no one comments on hey you? Blimey...tough crowd.

"only appeal is in reaching Russian consumers who are willing to drop 100,000b on a watch or similar."

Can you get a decent watch for that little? ;-)))

"the charming city of Angeles in the Philipines :-)"

Going to the PI for 2 weeks on business - have 4 days off in the middle. You do not reccommend I go to angeles then ;-))

My boss who is Filipina as well as Filipina colleagues have said Bohol!

I decided to 'jump ship' from Thailand right after the military coup, just to be sure. It's been a few months now, but I continue to read an increasing number of articles and posts about how Thailand is not only more unwelcoming to foreigners, but is harming itself even more than before.

Needless to say, Thailand is a much less predictable place than it was before.

Excuse the dramatic title (and I don't mean to sound like a troll), but what do you think? Is Thailand on a path to self-destruction or are the recent hiccups only a temporary roadside attraction in the annals of history?

Thailand today is neither as good nor as bad as some posters claim. The good news is that Thai society as a whole has not changed radically over the past few years. This is still a place of great charm and the people are still the country's best asset. The bad news is that the instability in the South remains an open wound that is not getting any better and won't until the Thai government finds a way of convincing the inhabitants in the South that it is in their best interest to resist the insurgency. If that insurgency spreads, then all bets are off in Thailand The other issues that sometimes can make life in Thailand frustrating for foreigners -- traffic, crime, the laissez-faire attitude of many Thais, lack of infrastructure and government inefficiency -- well that is Thailand and you either deal with it or eventually go home.

If you are a retired person living here on a fixed income, the valuation of the baht is a serious problem. I would suggest that you look at China as a very attractive alternative. You can live very inexpensively there and the crime rate is very low. Mid-sized cities like Shengdu or Suzhue are lovely and housing is very affordable. You might not like living in a Communist country but China's government has really become far less intrusive in the daily lives of their citizens. However, it is still a conservative country and if you live an alternative lifestyle (same-sex relationship, etc.), then probably China is not for you. Another excellent option is Spain, where large ex-patriot enclaves are growing at a rapid rate because of the relative low cost of living. There are similar enclaves being carved out in many countries around the world. It just depends where you would like to live and the quality of life you want and can afford.

Unless you like to walk on the wild side, I would not recommend the Philippines, although I love the vast majority of the Filipino people. Many of the islands within the nation are absolutely spectacular. Still, the country has a very high crime rate due to the extreme poverty and lack of government controls there. As a westerner you would run the risk of being targeted by both petty thieves and more serious criminals. You can buy property there and the valuation of the Philippine Peso is excellent. Still, my personal opinion is that the Phils is a poor alternative to Thailand.

I have had the good fortune in my life to have visited 47 countries. I split my time between the Southwestern United States because that is home, and Bangkok because that is where the love of my life is. I wouldn't want to change a thing.

UTUBE, no need to call the police, just read the Nation, or Bangkok post and you will know exactly why it was shut down. Someone made a parody of theKing the found it offensive and they shut it down. That would be no surprise to anyone who really lives in Thailand.

If you live in a different culture somethings you may not understand but the citizens of tha country are very seriuos about.

In my own country there was a time that if you disrespected the the flag you could be subject to criminal presecution. Probably right aftre you got out of the hospital from having being beaten by a crowd. Not that way today thing change but not ovenight.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't certain writers been marked for death becaue someone didn't like what they wrote? That didn't happen in Thailand.

If your going to live here you simply to adapt if your not going to adapt you probably not going to be happy here. Bringing your own countries standards here is only going to lead to frustration. My own personal thougtha are that if yuo are not happy in paticular country adn you can leave to find somethign that fits you better, by all means to so and be as happy as your life will allow you to be.

If the day comes that I can no longer enjoy a reaonable amouint of happines here then I will leave. I do research on othe countries all the time I find something that catches my eye and I get really serious about it join forums. Follow them for hints of actual daily life. In the end they all have problems just a Thailand does.

So far I have not found that perfect place for me and I probably never will. One aspect may be much easier then Thailand, but others are much more difficult. For those who are not happy here I hope you find your paradice.

I decided to 'jump ship' from Thailand right after the military coup, just to be sure. It's been a few months now, but I continue to read an increasing number of articles and posts about how Thailand is not only more unwelcoming to foreigners, but is harming itself even more than before.

Excuse the dramatic title (and I don't mean to sound like a troll), but what do you think? Is Thailand on a path to self-destruction or are the recent hiccups only a temporary roadside attraction in the annals of history?

Thailand today is neither as good nor as bad as some posters claim. The good news is that Thai society as a whole has not changed radically over the past few years. This is still a place of great charm and the people are still the country's best asset. The bad news is that the instability in the South remains an open wound that is not getting any better and won't until the Thai government finds a way of convincing the inhabitants in the South that it is in their best interest to resist the insurgency. If that insurgency spreads, then all bets are off in Thailand The other issues that sometimes can make life in Thailand frustrating for foreigners -- traffic, crime, the laissez-faire attitude of many Thais, lack of infrastructure and government inefficiency -- well that is Thailand and you either deal with it or eventually go home.

If you are a retired person living here on a fixed income, the valuation of the baht is a serious problem. I would suggest that you look at China as a very attractive alternative. You can live very inexpensively there and the crime rate is very low. Mid-sized cities like Shengdu or Suzhue are lovely and housing is very affordable. You might not like living in a Communist country but China's government has really become far less intrusive in the daily lives of their citizens. However, it is still a conservative country and if you live an alternative lifestyle (same-sex relationship, etc.), then probably China is not for you. Another excellent option is Spain, where large ex-patriot enclaves are growing at a rapid rate because of the relative low cost of living. There are similar enclaves being carved out in many countries around the world. It just depends where you would like to live and the quality of life you want and can afford.

Unless you like to walk on the wild side, I would not recommend the Philippines, although I love the vast majority of the Filipino people. Many of the islands within the nation are absolutely spectacular. Still, the country has a very high crime rate due to the extreme poverty and lack of government controls there. As a westerner you would run the risk of being targeted by both petty thieves and more serious criminals. You can buy property there and the valuation of the Philippine Peso is excellent. Still, my personal opinion is that the Phils is a poor alternative to Thailand.

I have had the good fortune in my life to have visited 47 countries. I split my time between the Southwestern United States because that is home, and Bangkok because that is where the love of my life is. I wouldn't want to change a thing.

JR Texas: Excellent post Farang Prince....truth is generally not black or white but something in between. I agree that the situation in the south is explosive........if they hit Phuket and the major tourists areas....Hua Hin farther north....and start causing problems all the way to Bangkok/Pattaya (already have in Bangkok), things could much worse in terms of the economy.

About China....I just spent 8 months there in a wonderful place...mountains, cool weather and the ocean....very clean, very safe, very easy in terms of visa issues (totally different from Thailand in this regard, but my experience might be a bit different given what I was doing there).

I am heterosexual, but I did notice that homosexuality was hidden from view but certainly present in China. I never felt threatened or oppressed by the government...in fact, the police never bothered me at all or gave me a suspicious look.....very nice people, great food, and inexpensive to live there. Also, where I was at was a high class version of Walking Street (nice)....no problem with girls. In many ways, China is far more modern than Thailand (specific areas of course).

Lots of other possibilities including Panama (just US$550 per month pension will allow you to live there forever with no visa problems).

Many of my friends live in the Philippines.....my impression is that what you said about it is correct, but if you know where to go and live you can avoid most of the problems. Long time expats know where I am talking about.

Certainly the govt. of the Philippines does not mind tourists, short or perpetual, spending money in the country, totally unlike Thailand....sometimes I truly believe that they do not want tourists (other than Chinese and Russian and Japanese) and would prefer that the rest of us leave the country. If so, they may get their wish as many of my friends have already left........more are talking about it.

I still like a lot of things about Thailand, but I wish some positive changes would take place, especially in terms of visa and business rules and regulations. It would be so easy to create jobs here and improve the economy for the majority and not just the minority. In the USA over 90% of all jobs are created by small scale entreprenuers, not MNCs. Unfortunately, in Thailand, the visa/business rules and regulations are thwarting small scale investments of the type that will generate employment.

JR Texas: Excellent post Farang Prince....truth is generally not black or white but something in between. I agree that the situation in the south is explosive........if they hit Phuket and the major tourists areas....Hua Hin farther north....and start causing problems all the way to Bangkok/Pattaya (already have in Bangkok), things could much worse in terms of the economy.

About China....I just spent 8 months there in a wonderful place...mountains, cool weather and the ocean....very clean, very safe, very easy in terms of visa issues (totally different from Thailand in this regard, but my experience might be a bit different given what I was doing there).

I am heterosexual, but I did notice that homosexuality was hidden from view but certainly present in China. I never felt threatened or oppressed by the government...in fact, the police never bothered me at all or gave me a suspicious look.....very nice people, great food, and inexpensive to live there. Also, where I was at was a high class version of Walking Street (nice)....no problem with girls. In many ways, China is far more modern than Thailand (specific areas of course).

Lots of other possibilities including Panama (just US$550 per month pension will allow you to live there forever with no visa problems).

Many of my friends live in the Philippines.....my impression is that what you said about it is correct, but if you know where to go and live you can avoid most of the problems. Long time expats know where I am talking about.

Certainly the govt. of the Philippines does not mind tourists, short or perpetual, spending money in the country, totally unlike Thailand....sometimes I truly believe that they do not want tourists (other than Chinese and Russian and Japanese) and would prefer that the rest of us leave the country. If so, they may get their wish as many of my friends have already left........more are talking about it.

I still like a lot of things about Thailand, but I wish some positive changes would take place, especially in terms of visa and business rules and regulations. It would be so easy to create jobs here and improve the economy for the majority and not just the minority. In the USA over 90% of all jobs are created by small scale entreprenuers, not MNCs. Unfortunately, in Thailand, the visa/business rules and regulations are thwarting small scale investments of the type that will generate employment.

If so, they may get their wish as many of my friends have already left........more are talking about it.

Unfortunately, in Thailand, the visa/business rules and regulations are thwarting small scale investments of the type that will generate employment.

You really remind me of this post by Heng...and let me quote some of it:

This sounds like a case of "my Baht/Dollar/Yen is the most important to the local economy."

In the end, it was clear that a lot of folks simply want to believe that where they were spending their money was the most important (along the lines of the... "If I leave/If we all leave, this place is over" line of thinking that we see on these boards all the time).

:o

Edited by ThaiGoon

You know what ol red eyes. I take your point and I know people think I am an arrogant s-o-b. Perhaps I am. Perhaps I live in a bubble.

But I'm prepared to accept what is good about this place I have chosen to be my home and NOT focus only on the negatives (of which there are plenty).

I get sick and tired of hearing people whinging about stuff they can't change. So there sex-haven is changing . . big deal. No, more than that . . GOOD. I don't want to live in a place that attracts the kind of people who's idea of paradise is based 90% on access to cheap women, and 10% to cheap beer.

People complain about business and land restrictions. OK, it's tough. But if as people say it is easy to do that in other countries, what is to stop people doing that, and still living in Thailand to enjoy the benefits?

My point . . . . Stop complaining. Stop whinging. Stop bellyaching. Stop taking our personal frustrations and extrapolating them onto the country we make our home.

We have a choice to live here or leave here. We can't change it cos we're not in the political process. We have the freedome to move on when we want.

Thais must listen to us whinge and wonder what they hel_l we find so appealing about the place if all we do is moan and complain. And they must wonder . . "ummmm . . .so why do they stay?"

Bendix you may be pleased to know there are quite a few of us living in a similar bubble to you.

You know what ol red eyes. I take your point and I know people think I am an arrogant s-o-b. Perhaps I am. Perhaps I live in a bubble.

Bendix you may be pleased to know there are quite a few of us living in a similar bubble to you.

Hey boys

Is it just me or is this a Seinfeld moment?

Hey boys

Most likely. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Hey boys

Most likely. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

Stay on topic.

I would drape myself in flames, if that were socially acceptable.

DGOZ came to Thailand yada yada yada now Cambodia and Thailand both have higher average IQs.

As for the new currency controls.....they are real and they are spectacular.

But I'm prepared to accept what is good about this place I have chosen to be my home and NOT focus only on the negatives (of which there are plenty).

I get sick and tired of hearing people whinging about stuff they can't change. So there sex-haven is changing . . big deal. No, more than that . . GOOD. I don't want to live in a place that attracts the kind of people who's idea of paradise is based 90% on access to cheap women, and 10% to cheap beer.

People complain about business and land restrictions. OK, it's tough. But if as people say it is easy to do that in other countries, what is to stop people doing that, and still living in Thailand to enjoy the benefits?

My point . . . . Stop complaining. Stop whinging. Stop bellyaching. Stop taking our personal frustrations and extrapolating them onto the country we make our home.

We have a choice to live here or leave here. We can't change it cos we're not in the political process. We have the freedome to move on when we want.

Thais must listen to us whinge and wonder what they hel_l we find so appealing about the place if all we do is moan and complain. And they must wonder . . "ummmm . . .so why do they stay?"

The haze in the North must be getting to me because I find myself, oddly enough, fully supporting Bandix in his statements! I shall go and lie down now.

For a Yarmouth boy it really pains me to admit this but I fully endorse your points, put very articulately. Now that is a compliment from one coming from your better neighbour, Lowestoft, although from your previous posts I suspect I am somewhat older than yourself so could be the onset of senility.

For a Yarmouth boy it really pains me to admit this but I fully endorse your points, put very articulately. Now that is a compliment from one coming from your better neighbour, Lowestoft, although from your previous posts I suspect I am somewhat older than yourself so could be the onset of senility.

Speak english?! <deleted> is this all about?

Hold up, it probably IS english.

So...speak Kiwi?

fush and chups, thus us a complumunt coming from Invagargull.

:-)

So...speak Kiwi?

I have to ask the same question, what is this gibberish ? are you responding to the correct post ?

So...speak Kiwi?

I have to ask the same question, what is this gibberish ? are you responding to the correct post ?

It's not his fault. When you speak Otago you aren't allowed to open your jaw.

So why do we all go there? If I had to summarise this thread and ignore the no brainers, it sounds like you're all hoping or already convinced that LOS will get better in the near future and become more suited to your requirements.

If so, they may get their wish as many of my friends have already left........more are talking about it.

Unfortunately, in Thailand, the visa/business rules and regulations are thwarting small scale investments of the type that will generate employment.

This sounds like a case of "my Baht/Dollar/Yen is the most important to the local economy."

In the end, it was clear that a lot of folks simply want to believe that where they were spending their money was the most important (along the lines of the... "If I leave/If we all leave, this place is over" line of thinking that we see on these boards all the time).

JR Texas: Not sure where you are coming from....foreign capital is critical for Thailand...tourism is important.....small scale entrepreneurs are being thwarted from starting businesses here because of the rules and regulations. Is this controversial? In my economic world every dollar is important, both your dollar and my dollar. The loss of investment dollars is, in general, not a good thing.

My guess is that you are underestimated the importance of foreign capital and investment in Thailand. Maybe I am overestimating its importance.

If I leave it will have a small impact (on several people, mostly Thais). But that is not my point. If I leave it will be because something terrible has happened and no doubt many others will also leave. The cumulative impact will be negative for the economy.

It sounds like many of you are happy with your decision to remain in Thailand. For some of you, the question of leaving doesn't even apply.

Despite all of it's craziness, there's something truly addictive to the country. If it weren't for the new visa restrictions (which is the main reason I left) I would have stayed.

There aren't too many nice places to long-stay in the world. This is good for Thailand, but not so for most of the world's other countries.

JR Texas: Not sure where you are coming from....foreign capital is critical for Thailand...tourism is important.....small scale entrepreneurs are being thwarted from starting businesses here because of the rules and regulations. Is this controversial? In my economic world every dollar is important, both your dollar and my dollar. The loss of investment dollars is, in general, not a good thing.

My guess is that you are underestimated the importance of foreign capital and investment in Thailand. Maybe I am overestimating its importance.

If I leave it will have a small impact (on several people, mostly Thais). But that is not my point. If I leave it will be because something terrible has happened and no doubt many others will also leave. The cumulative impact will be negative for the economy.

It does all add up. And it is often interlinked, but by no means always related by any kind of domino effect.

My point was that many folks don't take that point of view. It's more along the lines of the tunnel vision of: *if they do NOT get the slice of the pie -which is routinely exaggerated- which 'my team' (nevermind that your team isn't even a unified body) represents, the entire pie industry will fail.* It's not just foreign falang tourists on temporary visas who are guilty of this... foreigners of other nationalities do it, local bankers, financiers, and stockbrokers do it (you'd be surprised by how many of these local folks have read Bonfire of the Vanities too and also feel like they are "Masters of Universe"... or at least the Thai financial one), PTT oil men, CP execs, Saha Union and their "kitchen of the world" type themes, heck, even fruit and plant exporters do it.

:D

QUOTE(jdinasia @ 2007-04-04 09:59:49) post_snapback.gifIf you have been here 8 years ..... why would English in a Thai bank be of any importance to you? <<I always find the language question for long timers amusing! Like a Thai or French or Chinese would cry about living in the USA and the people at the bank speaking less French or Thai or Chinese than before!>>

THAT"S RIGHT!!!

hey bendix,

once again you have shot the bulls eye and your post is bang on the money . :D

its a no brainer mate, and if some of these posters would focus on the positive instead of waisting our time throwing up bollicks and negativity they could possibly realise that they are way in the minority on not liking the mighty los.

after all what are they doing here. :o

ive got a cracking idea. :D

we could start up a " get rid of an whinging expat thread " :D.

we all chuck in 100 baht each and buy them a one way ticket on " air asia " to the nearest bleeding border. :bah:

thank you very much. :D