THAI claims limited impact from new coronavirus crisis

webfact

THAI claims limited impact from new coronavirus crisis

By THE NATION

800_0f99f9875b7e245.jpg?v=1580177588

National flag carrier Thai Airways International (THAI) has said that the new coronavirus outbreak has affected its business only to a small extent, as most of its flights are to destinations in Europe, airline president Sumeth Damrongchaitham said.

“Compared to other airlines, THAI has only a few flight routes to China, while our average cabin factor in January is at 80 per cent,” he added.

“We estimate that the new coronavirus will affect the airline’s business in the first three months of 2020, which is a relatively short period compared to outbreaks of other diseases, such as SARS [Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome], which had affected our business for the whole year,” said Sumeth.

“Currently China has deployed several strict measures to contain the virus in the country. If the situation resolves within a month from now, THAI will still have a chance to make profit in the last two months of the high season [February-March].”

Sumeth added that on Tuesday (January 28), he and Deputy Transport Minister Thaworn Senniam will inspect the cleaning and disinfecting processes of THAI’s planes at Suvarnahbumi Airport to assure the passengers that they will be safe from coronavirus when using THAI services.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381163

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-28
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

All of this stands... as long as the situation is 100% under control here in Thailand. You can bet those Europe flights will also be impacted if it becomes more serious. Maybe they are expecting good sales from foreigners fleeing en mass and those same foreigners coming back once the situation settles down.

Hardly any passengers that really paid any airfare. Mostly officias flying on government supplied tickets... The corona virus will hardly have any inpact on this years revenue.

And the heavily paying customers booking business class are refused in business class and are downgraded to economy class so officials can take place with their free tickets in business class. 

Edited by Tops
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Tops said:

Hardly any passengers that really paid any airfare. Mostly officias flying on government supplied tickets... The corona virus will hardly have any inpact on this years revenue.

And the heavily paying customers booking business class are refused in business class and are downgraded to economy class so officials can take place with their free tickets in business class. 

I haven't flown Thai for over six years but nothing of what you say has been my experience.

However we are on TVF where the majority of posters have never been to Thailand in many years, if ever, but continue to regurgitate the good old bar stool myths.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I haven't flown Thai for over six years but nothing of what you say has been my experience.

I've flown them about a dozen times in the past couple of years or so and I agree, he's regurgitating <deleted>.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tops said:

Never happened to me in well over a 100 flights, good enough airline, depending on where you are going too!

Not so sure about how good they are at telling the truth though!

8 hours ago, Tops said:

Unimaginative recycling of ages-old myth and sophistry post of the day award goes (again) to...