Vietnam Visa

Hi,

Has anyone gone from Pattaya (Utapo airport) to Vietnam?

I was wondering what is the best way to get my 30 day visa to Go. My girl doesn't require a Visa but I do. I hold a U.S. passport but don't think that makes any difference.

Is the E visa the best option or just pay the Visa upon arrival?

I have never been there so I am not sure if pay when you get in is a good option.

Thanks for any help. I appreciate it.

Barry

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As an American you've gotta get an eVISA or an invitation letter before you go.

Here is the link to the Vietnam government e-visa web site:

https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

All other links that pop up when you search for VN visas are private agencies that will email you an invitation letter.

3 hours ago, Beardog said:

Thanks Guys looks like the E Visa is the answer.

The approval time for the eVisa is longer than the 3 days stated on their website. It took us about 6 days before we received our approval recently. It was easy though. The approval letter can be had quicker if you're tight on time. 

IIRC, the eVisa allows the holder to go straight to the immigration desks and get stamped in whereas the holder of the invitation letter has to exchange that for a visa sticker placed in the passport at the Visa on Arrival desk BEFORE going to the immigration desks. Depending on how swamped the VoA office is, that can take 10 minutes or easily more than 30.

That's for HCMC but my experience is Hanoi VoA desk was a lot faster and a lot more friendly too.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I am going for a short holiday to Vietnam in June. As a UK citizen it would appear that i don't need any visa for a stay upto 15 days. Sounds too good, have i misread the regulations?

You are correct, as a UK national you will be visa exempt for your stay of up to 15 days.

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

I am going for a short holiday to Vietnam in June. As a UK citizen it would appear that i don't need any visa for a stay upto 15 days. Sounds too good, have i misread the regulations?

Nah, it's easy, I've been 4x in the last year.

Only catch on VISA waiver is they won't let you board the plane if you don't have a plane ticket out.

Edited by BritManToo

3 minutes ago, CuriousKen said:

Please just a clarification.

I am a UK citizen. Is it true I can fly to Vietnam, and as long as I have a return flight in 15 days, the visa is free on arrival?

I intend to fly from Utapo airport to Ho Chi Minh City.

No VISA required, VISA waiver, I go there 4x a year no problems at all.

All the Americans and Aussies have to queue at the VISA on Arrival desk, while I walk straight through immigration.

Bus from the airport to the town centre (September park) is $1 (or 20kvnd).

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, BritManToo said:

Nah, it's easy, I've been 4x in the last year.

Only catch on VISA waiver is they won't let you board the plane if you don't have a plane ticket out.

For those regular visitors, what's the best budget airline from Chiang Mai to Hanoi?

I'm thinking of going there someday for a short trip.

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

For those regular visitors, what's the best budget airline from Chiang Mai to Hanoi?

Air Asia, look on Skyscanner for the prices for the whole month.

I usually pay 2,400bht - 3,000bht return.

Saigon is more expensive as Air Asia have dropped the route this year, and VietJet want 5k return.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Air Asia, look on Skyscanner for the prices for the whole month.

I usually pay 2,400bht - 3,000bht return.

Saigon is more expensive as Air Asia have dropped the route this year, and VietJet want 5k return.

Thanks. I just looked at AirAsia website, I didn't know there is a direct flight in one time slot. Price looks ok.

For the rest of the time slots, we have to go through Don Meuang which is quite the bummer.

Hanoi is good enough for me but I always thought Vietjet would be cheaper than AirAsia....

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Thanks. I just looked at AirAsia website, I didn't know there is a direct flight in one time slot. Price looks ok.

Check the monthly prices on Skyscanner.

Then book the flight on the AirAsia website.

Skyscanner often finds cheaper AirAsia flights than AirAsia.

skyscanner.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE on Vietnam visa rules:
Rather than having to make a border run every 30 days, as previously announced, tourists will be given the option of reporting to their local immigration office (for a fee of US$10), or of hiring an agent to do so. That would mean, on a 90 day tourist visa, you would report to the local IO twice, and have to cross the border and return with a new visa (or in the case of Americans, with a one-year visa, cross the border and return, three times a year).
See new Eli the Bike Guy video. New Visa Rules discussion occur roughly 12:30- 21:00