Brexit at last: Britain leaves the EU as champagne corks fly

rooster59

56 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The campaign to leave the EU relied on rhetoric against immigration and for hardening or "regaining control" of borders.

To deny that is disingenous and hypocritical.

According to most economists, EU membership has a strong positive effect on trade and, as a result, the UK's trade would be worse off if it left the EU. According to a study by University of Cambridge economists, under a hard Brexit, whereby the UK reverts to WTO rules, one-third of UK exports to the EU would be tariff-free, one-quarter would face high trade barriers and other exports risk tariffs in the range of 1–10%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_effects_of_Brexit

You have to be overly concerned about Poles, to want to forego the economic benefits of EU membership, just to stop Poles coming to Britain, surely.

In January 2018, the UK government's own Brexit analysis was leaked; it showed that UK economic growth would be stunted by 2–8% for at least 15 years following Brexit, depending on the leave scenario.

The movement to leave began long before significant immigration from Europe.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Attacking the messenger is generally considered an unacceptable approach, which tends to indicate the paucity of your argument.

I find what he writes to be clearly and coherently argued, with his analysis supported by reference to actual documents. You would I expect disagree with what he wrote, but it is well written and easy to understand. Try reading it again with your bias hat off, and compare it to the quote above from izod10, which actually is just a bundle of prejudices, written in a style that actually does make it sound gibberish

"The Uk now has the potential to destroy the EU".

What colour is the sky on your planet?

The UK economy is a fraction of the size of the EU economy (Even without us)

Why would we be unpleasant enough to want to destroy the EU even if we could. They will still be major trading partners, and trade benefits us all.

Yes India does have some problems, currently many of their own making. That hasn't stopped their economy expanding fast. They are forecast to overtake us in GDP very soon, as France has done already. So we will then be Number 7 in the world, and with the idiotic economy destroying Brexit in place will fall faster and further towards insignificance. It's the governments own recent analysis that says that, not me. 

Written by a true Scotsman .   basically all I want from Scotland is a departure date ,and it cannot be quick enough

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The UK has consistently reported a current account deficit since 1984 because of a shortfall in its goods trade, and it hit a record high in 2016.

https://www.ft.com/content/ace751a2-fbd6-11e9-a354-36acbbb0d9b6

See, what you need to understand is that the UK really has almost no goods to trade, very little of what the world wants is made in Britain. That is because British products, generally speaking, are shoddily and poorly made and few people want to buy them. One only has to look at the houses you live in.

Services account for about 80 per cent of the economy.

I repeat, 80% of the British economy is the British serving other people. You are now a nation of service providers.

The UK’s large current account deficit has been financed by substantial foreign capital inflows over recent years which “makes the UK vulnerable to a reduction in foreign investor appetite for UK assets”, the Bank of England warned in the summer.

What do you think exiting the EU has done and will do for foreign investor appetite in UK assets?  The Japanese closing factories ring any bells? What do you think the strong pound will do for UK businesses trying to trade?

If you think exiting the EU will solve the UK's trade deficit problem you are very optimistic. On the contrary, it will make the UK's trade deficit worse. Exporting services will become harder for the UK, not easier.

Germany is about to be booted to the dark ages? I think you have some major problems yourself, lol. The only country that is regressing is England. 

specsavers for you  LOL

The .gov.uk  settlement letters being sent out to over 3 and a half million EU nationals living in UK tells a story being given the boot is wonderful news,wonderbar   only so many toilet cleaners ,kebab sellers can the UK take,unlike the Krauts, Christ riots there soon

Look at the celebrations under way in UK  ,come join us,its wonderful

Relying on quotations from earlier quotes is rubbish,nations choose their own path and it will be wonderful,all past quotes were wrong,so are yours     its a beautiful day,many more to come  God Save the Queen 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Germany is about to be booted to the dark ages? I think you have some major problems yourself, lol. The only country that is regressing is England

Suggesting you still haven't quite grasped the difference between ???????????????????????????? & ???????? ????

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, izod10 said:

specsavers for you  LOL

The .gov.uk  settlement letters being sent out to over 3 and a half million EU nationals living in UK tells a story being given the boot is wonderful news,wonderbar   only so many toilet cleaners ,kebab sellers can the UK take,unlike the Krauts, Christ riots there soon

Look at the celebrations under way in UK  ,come join us,its wonderful

Relying on quotations from earlier quotes is rubbish,nations choose their own path and it will be wonderful,all past quotes were wrong,so are yours     its a beautiful day,many more to come  God Save the Queen 

I think you'll find EU nationals living in Britain now will have the right to stay there. 

Immigrants in the UK have all manner of jobs, btw, including cooks, waiters, lawyers, doctors, nurses. British businesses are already ringing the alarm bell that they can not find the employees they need.

"Many UK firms are finding it more difficult to recruit the staff they need after a fall in net migration from the EU, a new report has said.

The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) said 40 per cent of employers had more problems filling vacancies than they did last year."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-skills-shortage-wages-rise-net-migration-falls-cipd-report-a8489366.html

Why do you think Jamie Oliver had to file for bankruptcy? That's nothing. The worst is all yet to come.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I think you'll find EU nationals living in Britain now will have the right to stay there. 

Immigrants in the UK have all manner of jobs, btw, including cooks, waiters, lawyers, doctors, nurses. British businesses are already ringing the alarm bell that they can not find the employees they need.

"Many UK firms are finding it more difficult to recruit the staff they need after a fall in net migration from the EU, a new report has said.

The Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) said 40 per cent of employers had more problems filling vacancies than they did last year."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-skills-shortage-wages-rise-net-migration-falls-cipd-report-a8489366.html

Why do you think Jamie Oliver had to file for bankruptcy? That's nothing. The worst is all yet to come.

He over cooked it.....????‍????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Logosone said:

The UK has consistently reported a current account deficit since 1984 because of a shortfall in its goods trade, and it hit a record high in 2016.

See, what you need to understand is that the UK really has almost no goods to trade, very little of what the world wants is made in Britain. That is because British products, generally speaking, are shoddily and poorly made and few people want to buy them. One only has to look at the houses you live in.

Services account for about 80 per cent of the economy.

I repeat, 80% of the British economy is the British serving other people. You are now a nation of service providers.

The UK’s large current account deficit has been financed by substantial foreign capital inflows over recent years which “makes the UK vulnerable to a reduction in foreign investor appetite for UK assets”, the Bank of England warned in the summer.

What do you think exiting the EU has done and will do for foreign investor appetite in UK assets?  The Japanese closing factories ring any bells? What do you think the strong pound will do for UK businesses trying to trade?

If you think exiting the EU will solve the UK's trade deficit problem you are very optimistic. On the contrary, it will make the UK's trade deficit worse. Exporting services will become harder for the UK, not easier.

Germany is about to be booted to the dark ages? I think you have some major problems yourself, lol. The only country that is regressing is England. 

UK trade deficit.png

Looks like we do a lot better on trade ex EU.

image.png.d72b2808ac69e0c5c735d73cc89577a3.png

And why don't you show the national debt/GDP charts too?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Logosone said:

The campaign to leave the EU relied on rhetoric against immigration and for hardening or "regaining control" of borders.

To deny that is disingenous and hypocritical.

According to most economists, EU membership has a strong positive effect on trade and, as a result, the UK's trade would be worse off if it left the EU. According to a study by University of Cambridge economists, under a hard Brexit, whereby the UK reverts to WTO rules, one-third of UK exports to the EU would be tariff-free, one-quarter would face high trade barriers and other exports risk tariffs in the range of 1–10%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_effects_of_Brexit

You have to be overly concerned about Poles, to want to forego the economic benefits of EU membership, just to stop Poles coming to Britain, surely.

In January 2018, the UK government's own Brexit analysis was leaked; it showed that UK economic growth would be stunted by 2–8% for at least 15 years following Brexit, depending on the leave scenario.

Basically you are stung,hard to believe,hard to understand,never mind eh!

Not concerned about the Poles,you certainly are,but face it,they too will be given the boot.

Nobody knows what the future brings,its all guess work at best ,but I tell you the joys of leaving overshadow anything you write about

I would say this tho, Trump intends to give the EU and especially Germany an unwelcome dose of its own medicine, that will decimate the fatherland  The EU is finished if the UK blocks fishing off to the EU,and it looks as it will be doing,there will be riots in  France,Belgium,Spain  Holland,   France alone will tear itself to pieces

Four eyes,the tooth gapped wonder from Belgium stated the EU will not stand aside and let another Singapore develop in the North Sea,its coming, corporation tax abolished,anything and everything to spoke the wheels of the EU will be deployed,   The EU is kaput

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

As far as I can see, Foie Gras is not illegal under EU regulations.  Where did you get that from? 

Several European countries have unilaterally banned the PRODUCTION of Foie Gras. But the French still export it. 

So, can you help me check my facts please? 

This report doesn't suggest any EU ban in 1998:

https://stop-foie-gras.com/en/action-petition-cage-foie-gras

I did not say that the report banned it; read my post again.

Whilst the production is not illegal per se, it's method does break several EU animal welfare regulations.

To help you check your facts, I'll use the following example, which comes from a source you cannot accuse of pro EU bias.

Foie gras: The European Commission turns a blind eye to French law-breakers!

For several years now, L214 has regularly informed the European Commission of the ways that the French and the other foie gras producing countries deliberately ignore the European laws concerning Animal welfare...…….

Concerning the housing conditions, the great majority of foie gras producers (60% in 2014) use individual cages which are forbidden in Europe since 2011.

Not only is France delaying its compliance with EU law, it also intends to continue to flout the law for decades into the future. New collective cages being progressively introduced in France still do not comply with European law requirements: none of these cages provide bedding material, nor sufficient space, despite being required by law.

(7by7 emphasis)

Edited by 7by7
Typo correction
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

I did not say that the report banned it; read my post again.

Whilst the production is not illegal per se, it's method does break several EU animal welfare regulations.

To help you check your facts, I'll use the following example, which comes from a source you cannot accuse of pro EU bias.

Foie gras: The European Commission turns a blind eye to French law-breakers!

Whatever you dig up, the fact remains it is hypocritical to bang on about chlorinated chicken when Foie Gras is produced and eaten across the EU. 

To talk about the EU turning a blind eye to it doesn't make it better. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Looks like we do a lot better on trade ex EU.

image.png.d72b2808ac69e0c5c735d73cc89577a3.png

And why don't you show the national debt/GDP charts too?

You have failed to grasp the underlying fundamental issue at hand. The UK's economy is 80% services. It produces few goods others want. So you will not do better with the trade deficit outside the EU. You are now a nation of servants, you have nothing to trade with, goodswise. Only services. It will just get harder for the UK to sell its services outside the EU to its main trading partners, as that chart you posted shows that is the EU. 

What the exit from the EU has done is merely precipitate the inevitable, show the UK up for what it really is, a nation of servants desperate to sell its services, that produces nothing of value. You have not addressed the fundamentals. Only your petty little Englander prejudices against Poles. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, smedly said:

go for it

if you hate the UK people so much Germany is waiting - well actually they are not

go off on your own Scotland - I really do look forward to seeing how that works out

we are better together but hey you know best

don't forget to pay your share of UK debt at 10billion a year for the next 20 years 

I don't think Scottish people are stupid except for a few - Maybe William Wallace will be along to lead you to utopia or Mel Gibson 

I reckon right now if there was a referendum in the rest of the UK to expel Scotland it would have a huge majority - we are sick listening to the constant hate and winging 

I could now use two rude words but I won't - if you love your EU so much then go there - consider yourself evicted

no more handouts 

Again, so true.  I believe Scotland was furious with Britain for dragging them into the EEC in 1973, now they are furious once again for dragging them out.

I believe Brexit will actually be beneficial to Scotlant too.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You have failed to grasp the underlying fundamental issue at hand. The UK's economy is 80% services. It produces few goods others want. So you will not do better with the trade deficit outside the EU. You are now a nation of servants, you have nothing to trade with, goodswise. Only services. It will just get harder for the UK to sell its services outside the EU to its main trading partners, as that chart you posted shows that is the EU. 

What the exit from the EU has done is merely precipitate the inevitable, show the UK up for what it really is, a nation of servants desperate to sell its services, that produces nothing of value. You have not addressed the fundamentals. Only your petty little Englander prejudices against Poles. 

I'm a brexiteer - all my properties are rented to Poles.  Certainly not prejudiced.  In fact, if I were selfish, I would have voted remain, better for my business.  But I voted for what is best for Britain.  Sure, there will be a few racists around who voted out or indeed, those areas where mass immigration has had a negative effect, such as Dover and surrounding areas.  But for most people, immigration was not the reason for Brexit.  There are too many reasons why people voted this way.

UK is still a major manufacturer, no 6 in the world I believe?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The facts in my post, to which the above is your response, are irrefutable.

As for the opinions I expressed, maybe one day you will produce a proper counter argument to opinions with which you disagree. But as your response is typical of you, I have yet to see any evidence that you are capable of so doing.

Still, you doubtless find it very pleasing that your method does get you plenty of likes from cronies who appear as incapable of putting together a cogent argument as yourself.

Looking forward to Monday. Off you go.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Whatever you dig up, the fact remains it is hypocritical to bang on about chlorinated chicken when Foie Gras is produced and eaten across the EU. 

To talk about the EU turning a blind eye to it doesn't make it better. 

Not hypocritical at all; the two issues are not the same in any way, shape or form. Chlorinated chicken is a food hygiene issue. The production of foie gras is an animal welfare issue. 

Chlorination of chicken happens after the animal has been killed and gutted. Force feeding the animal and gaging it to prevent any movement in order to produce foie gras happens while the animal is still alive.

BTW, I am not defending the production of foie gras. I believe that the EU should enforce it's animal welfare regulations on this and all other issues. Regulations which, contrary to your original assertion, do exist; even if the French and others ignore them and, so far, have gone scandalously unpunished.

I also believe that the high food standards we have in this country, most of which came via the EU, should not be sacrificed on the altar of Johnson and Cummings' ambition.

We have left the EU, but to throw the baby out with the bathwater would be an even greater folly.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Looking forward to Monday. Off you go.

Yes, I will be off from Monday to Friday.

This is because I actually live and work in the UK. Unlike most Brexiteers here who do neither.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, nauseus said:

The UK left the EU, not Europe. The movement to leave began long before significant immigration from Europe.

UK never was in Europe, Europe is where you guys go on holidays and week-end getaways

4 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

The non-Brits on here still fail to understand that we left the EU for a multitude of reasons. Collectively those reasons boil down to us not wanting a bunch of bureaucrats in Brussels having any control over over our elected Parliament. The 'xenophobic' remarks from you and others show a lack of understanding. 

Yes, there are certain cities and towns in the UK where Eastern European migration has decimated the local labour market, mostly in the building trade. And people there were justified in wanting this to stop. But the vast majority appreciate that controlled immigration can be a benefit to the country. 

speak of superiority complex - case of hard attack this is

having full control of tvf/non-brits and their comprehension ? full of one self

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Yes, I will be off from Monday to Friday.

This is because I actually live and work in the UK. Unlike most Brexiteers here who do neither.

Hmm. This is a forum based in Thailand, so there's a good chance you could be partly right for a change.

• Haha 1