Brexit at last: Britain leaves the EU as champagne corks fly

rooster59

1 hour ago, Logosone said:

I think only failing countries, like the UK, would exit the EU, where large swathes of unemployed, jealous of their own handouts begrudge the social benefits Poles, Romanians and such are given. They may then blame the EU for their misery, as happened in the UK, out of ignorance.

If that were to happen, if more weak, failing countries leave the EU, that would only make the EU stronger. If it had stuck to the original membership, that would have been best really. Who needs toy countries, criminal countries and failing countries?

Either way the EU wins.

Either way the EU self-destructs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, nauseus said:

" if, indeed. in the past 30 years, the UK's manufacturing sector has shrunk by two-thirds, then what has been the great benefit of EU membership?

How you can possibly compare the UK to Greece, I have no idea.

The EU has been protecting you? Disagree entirely. 

Now without the EU the gloves are off, and frankly nobody is betting on the UK. Read this: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-holds-more-foreign-investment-than-germany-and-france-combined

Debt is a problem globally and guess what? Moody's has recently downgraded the outlooks (repeat outlooks) for the UK AND, France and Germany.

The great benefit of EU membership is that it has ameliorated and softened the inevitable economic decline of the UK. It has done so by providing free access to British services and products. It has done so by building roads and infrastructure in Wales and other parts the British could not finance and build out of their own (since you're so great), it has done so by preventing the take over of the London Stock Exchange by Deutsche Boerse AG, due to EU competition law.

I compare the UK to Greece because like Greece the UK is financed by foreign countries now. Your link saying that the UK holds 'foreign investment' only evidences that the UK has had to sell its heirlooms and porcelain to attract the billions of Pounds it needs to finance its debt-based failing economy. Of course you have more assets than Greece, but given your MASSIVE debt, what do you think will happen when foreigners one day decide not to lend to Britain anymore? Something not so impossible, since Moodys has downgraded British debt since 2013, long before Brexit, and again in 2017 and 2019.

The thing is you see, Germany and France dont need foreign money the way Britain does. Germany builds its own car plants. Do you think Germans lie awake at night wondering if Morgan or TVR build car factories in Germany? Lol, the whole notion is ridiculous, only Great Britishers are reduced to praying Nissan keeps plants in the UK. Germany does not have a trade deficit like Britain, it has a trade surplus you see. It pays its own way. It does not depend on others for money.

Of course debt is a global problem, but it is an acute problem for Britain. You already can not finance the handouts you give to your old age pensioners with taxes, you have to go to the capital markets to beg for the money from others. And that will get harder and harder as Moodys and co keep downgrading you.

Edited by Logosone
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

A fact is , the EU just failed, it's a piece of <deleted> and only for multinationals, capital offices working.

Not for any of the common people living in the counties.

A drama. I hope the UK will do well now they left. Show them !!

Are you sure a low tax hub of free trade agreements worldwide, implemented by Tories who are proponents of ultra-liberal economics will not be dominated by multinationals? And will be in the interest of the working class and other people who have been left behind?

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, nauseus said:

You have just proven that you are full of it. Congratulations! And you accuse others of ignorance!

Look down south for your "large swathes of unemployed". Greece, Spain and Italy at 33, 32 and 27% respectively.

And I hope and pray every night, that like the UK, Greece will vote to leave the EU. Unfortunately they shamelessly keep dipping their snouts in the EU trough, because they know full well who's paying the bills they will never leave unless they're kicked out. And Merkel and Co of course did not take the chance to kick out Greece when they had the chance. Now these social benefit addicts will be forever relying on German taxpayers.

Spain and Italy not so much, let's not forget that Italy now outproduces the UK and actually has a larger manufacturing output than the UK.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/456342/realtive-comparison-of-value-added-in-manufacturing-of-leading-countries/

Edited by Logosone

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Oh come on, the decline of British industry has nothing to do with the EU. It long pre-dated EU membership. British industry was in decline by the 70s already, in fact that was part of the reason why you were so desperate to join the Common Market at the time. By facilitating free circulation of goods the EU actually helped you, but the decline of British Industry was unstoppable.

In the past 30 years, the UK's manufacturing sector has shrunk by two-thirds, the greatest de-industrialisation of any major nation.  <Snip>

But the thing is this, with debt you have no way out. Your reduction in your manufacturing base has put millions of people out of work. So you have a huge percentage of the population claiming benefits. You have a huge contingent of older people, despite your ailing and terrible NHS, that will need to be funded. Not just with NHS payments, but also the UK has to go to the capital markets to fund the payouts it gives its huge older population. The younger taxpayers are syphoned as hard as possible, but their tax is not enough to fund the handouts to old age pensioners. So your debt will grow. You will keep having to go to the capital markets to get the money you pay the older population. And guess what? Moody's has already downgraded the UK.

Yes the manufacturing decline is simply a matter of historical record, no amount of flag waving hysteria will change that. Possibly singing "Lloyd George knew my father" can temporarily insulate people from the economic reality. The decline was hugely increased in the 80s by Thatcher, when high interest rates made it impossible for UK manufacturers to retool and compete with the Japanese. Germany and others did. 

My major concern is the demographic problem alluded to in the last paragraph above. We are not the only country with boomers, and our unemployment rates are not dramatically higher than many other countries. How are the young taxpayers going to support a vast army of pensioners, a huge mass of people on benefits*, and all the other state employees who have negotiated for themselves large underfunded occupational pensions, (While the basic state pension, which is all 31% have, is the lowest in the OECD). The answer is they can't, so we have to borrow large amounts of money all the time.

Our NHS has been seriously underfunded for a long time, and if the Tories get their way they will simply sell it to the US, but to describe it as terrible is way over the top. We are still proud of it, and the wonderful dedicated staff. Sadly Brexit is causing many of the best to leave. 

* No this is not immigrants, every government survey shows that they are NET CONTRIBUTORS  to the UK economy. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Yes the manufacturing decline is simply a matter of historical record, no amount of flag waving hysteria will change that. Possibly singing "Lloyd George knew my father" can temporarily insulate people from the economic reality. The decline was hugely increased in the 80s by Thatcher, when high interest rates made it impossible for UK manufacturers to retool and compete with the Japanese. Germany and others did. 

My major concern is the demographic problem alluded to in the last paragraph above. We are not the only country with boomers, and our unemployment rates are not dramatically higher than many other countries. How are the young taxpayers going to support a vast army of pensioners, a huge mass of people on benefits*, and all the other state employees who have negotiated for themselves large underfunded occupational pensions, (While the basic state pension, which is all 31% have, is the lowest in the OECD). The answer is they can't, so we have to borrow large amounts of money all the time.

Our NHS has been seriously underfunded for a long time, and if the Tories get their way they will simply sell it to the US, but to describe it as terrible is way over the top. We are still proud of it, and the wonderful dedicated staff. Sadly Brexit is causing many of the best to leave. 

* No this is not immigrants, every government survey shows that they are NET CONTRIBUTORS  to the UK economy. 

It is quite true, the Tories, Thatcher in particular, accelerated the industrial decline. They did so by misguided policies that put many people out of work. One by one Britain lost its illustrious industrial giants. But then, Blair did the same thereafter. The British mistakes run through the fabric of politics and have no colour.

I also agree that Britain will continue to be unable to fund its payouts to old age pensioners and the NHS and unemployed purely with tax money, it will have to go to the capital markets cap in hand and ask for the billions needed. 

I do not agree that the NHS is anything less than terrible. I know people who have had to use it, I've used it, and I have to say the experiences have been shocking across the board. Compared to German medical provision the NHS is extremely poor. But then you get what you pay for, and the NHS is free. That is a truly amazing feat to fund a free medical service, but let's not kid ourselves the quality of medical care is, well, not good. I keep marvelling how the British talk about everything in Britain being so 'great'. I remember at the height of mad cow disease this British politician went on tv and said 'British beef is the best in the world' in all seriousness. I saw a claim by another British politician that the NHS is the best health service in the world. Talk is cheap, as the Americans say.

Of course countries like Germany also have the same old age pensioner funding issue, however, they have a trade surplus and a strong manufacturing sector. Many German companies pay unspeakable sums in medical insurance, private individuals do too, the German medical services are not free. They are very expensive. Also, Germans are heavily taxed. There is actually a tax surplus in many areas.

Edited by Logosone

On 1/31/2020 at 10:00 PM, rooster59 said:

"The war is over: we have won," Nigel Farage, a leading Leave campaigner, told the crowd.

You won the battle, The war is still ahead of you and you are going at it all along. Good luck. 

Brexit at last: Britain leaves the EU as champagne corks fly

I am sure not only in the UK. This situation has being a drag on the EU , IMO any other countries that disagree with the collectively agreed upon terms should leave also, allowing the EU to proceed with the necessary reforms for a viable union.

This is the single most important moment in the modern history of our great nation."

I agree, but for different reasons.   

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Debt is a problem globally and guess what? Moody's has recently downgraded the outlooks (repeat outlooks) for the UK AND, France and Germany.

Germany's credit rating is AAA with stable outlook at S&P's. 

Moody's credit rating is also Aaa with stable outlook.

Fitch's credit rating is AAA with stable outlook.

https://tradingeconomics.com/germany/rating

The UK's credit rating is Aa2 with negative outlook at Moody's.

S&P gives it a mere AA.

Fitch AA with negative outlook.

Same as United Arab Emirates.

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

The great benefit of EU membership is that it has ameliorated and softened the inevitable economic decline of the UK. It has done so by providing free access to British services and products. It has done so by building roads and infrastructure in Wales and other parts the British could not finance and build out of their own (since you're so great), it has done so by preventing the take over of the London Stock Exchange by Deutsche Boerse AG, due to EU competition law.

I compare the UK to Greece because like Greece the UK is financed by foreign countries now. Your link saying that the UK holds 'foreign investment' only evidences that the UK has had to sell its heirlooms and porcelain to attract the billions of Pounds it needs to finance its debt-based failing economy. Of course you have more assets than Greece, but given your MASSIVE debt, what do you think will happen when foreigners one day decide not to lend to Britain anymore? Something not so impossible, since Moodys has downgraded British debt since 2013, long before Brexit, and again in 2017 and 2019.

The thing is you see, Germany and France dont need foreign money the way Britain does. Germany builds its own car plants. Do you think Germans lie awake at night wondering if Morgan or TVR build car factories in Germany? Lol, the whole notion is ridiculous, only Great Britishers are reduced to praying Nissan keeps plants in the UK. Germany does not have a trade deficit like Britain, it has a trade surplus you see. It pays its own way. It does not depend on others for money.

Of course debt is a global problem, but it is an acute problem for Britain. You already can not finance the handouts you give to your old age pensioners with taxes, you have to go to the capital markets to beg for the money from others. And that will get harder and harder as Moodys and co keep downgrading you.

Want some oxygen?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And I hope and pray every night, that like the UK, Greece will vote to leave the EU. Unfortunately they shamelessly keep dipping their snouts in the EU trough, because they know full well who's paying the bills they will never leave unless they're kicked out. And Merkel and Co of course did not take the chance to kick out Greece when they had the chance. Now these social benefit addicts will be forever relying on German taxpayers.

Spain and Italy not so much, let's not forget that Italy now outproduces the UK and actually has a larger manufacturing output than the UK.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/456342/realtive-comparison-of-value-added-in-manufacturing-of-leading-countries/

Hilarious. The poor Greeks are screwed. They can't go even of they wanted to, no choice with their debt and the Euro.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Logosone said:

You may recall even the London Stock Exchange was going to be taken over by Deutsche Boerse AG, the only thing that stopped that was EU competition law. The irony. The EU has been protecting you.

Actually the LSE was pursuing a merger with Deutsche Boerse, a merger of equals. That merger and the benefits of scale would have protected LSE from future takeover bids.

The EU do not like the UK being the financial services hub of Europe. The merger would have strengthened the UK position. The EU pulled the plug on the merger shortly before the Article 50 was triggered. Read into that what you want. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is quite true, the Tories, Thatcher in particular, accelerated the industrial decline. They did so by misguided policies that put many people out of work. One by one Britain lost its illustrious industrial giants. But then, Blair did the same thereafter. The British mistakes run through the fabric of politics and have no colour.

I also agree that Britain will continue to be unable to fund its payouts to old age pensioners and the NHS and unemployed purely with tax money, it will have to go to the capital markets cap in hand and ask for the billions needed. 

I do not agree that the NHS is anything less than terrible. I know people who have had to use it, I've used it, and I have to say the experiences have been shocking across the board. Compared to German medical provision the NHS is extremely poor. But then you get what you pay for, and the NHS is free. That is a truly amazing feat to fund a free medical service, but let's not kid ourselves the quality of medical care is, well, not good. I keep marvelling how the British talk about everything in Britain being so 'great'. I remember at the height of mad cow disease this British politician went on tv and said 'British beef is the best in the world' in all seriousness. I saw a claim by another British politician that the NHS is the best health service in the world. Talk is cheap, as the Americans say.

Of course countries like Germany also have the same old age pensioner funding issue, however, they have a trade surplus and a strong manufacturing sector. Many German companies pay unspeakable sums in medical insurance, private individuals do too, the German medical services are not free. They are very expensive. Also, Germans are heavily taxed. There is actually a tax surplus in many areas.

As you seem to delight in trashing the UK at every opportunity, I think it's only fair if you tell us where you come from.  I mean, for you to be so critical, your country must be a pretty amazing place with a booming economy, and a glittering history. I'm genuinely curious. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

I was referring to your cosistant looking down on members with your degrading comments which are totally uncalled for. 

PS. The general election just showed how out of touch you are with the voters in the country you live....

& see my comment elsewhere re his inability to differentiate between banter & (blatant, point scoring & somewhat tediousabuse ????

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Actually the LSE was pursuing a merger with Deutsche Boerse, a merger of equals. That merger and the benefits of scale would have protected LSE from future takeover bids.

The EU do not like the UK being the financial services hub of Europe. The merger would have strengthened the UK position. The EU pulled the plug on the merger shortly before the Article 50 was triggered. Read into that what you want. 

That is why Bloomberg reported it as the TAKEOVER of the LSE by Deutsche Boerse AG of course, lol:

"EU Blocks Deutsche Boerse’s $14 Billion Takeover of London Stock Exchange"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-29/eu-blocks-deutsche-boerse-s-14-billion-takeover-of-rival-lse

If it was a merger of equals, then why would Deutsche Boerse AG have held 54.4% in the new group?

"...given Deutsche Börse would have held 54.4% of the shares in the group..."

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/29/london-stock-exchange-deutsche-borse-merger-blocked-ec

If this takeover would have been in the LSE's interest, why did the shares of LSE rise 3% just after the announcement the EU was blocking the deal?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/29/london-stock-exchange-deutsche-borse-merger-blocked-ec

No. The EU protected you. It stopped the German exchange's TAKEOVER of the LSE.  

It was a takeover of the LSE by the Deutsche Boerse, hence it is described as a takeover. 

It was not a merger of equals, as evidenced by the fact that Deutsche Boerse would have been the majority shareholder in the new group.

If it had been a merger of equals then Deutsche Boerse AG would not have held 54.4% of the new group. It would have been 50% each.

Deutsche Boerse held the controlling shareholding.

That is why the price of the LSE shares rose 3% and shareholders were relieved the takeover did not happen.

Of course the EU competition technocrats did not stop the deal to protect the UK, but that was the net result. The deal was stopped because France, Netherlands and others did not want the deal. Still the net result was that the EU prevented a takeover of the LSE by the Deutsche Boerse.

Edited by Logosone
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

So much for 'power-hungry' and all dominant Germany. 

If Germany controls the EU, pray tell why could the German stock exchange not have its takeover of the LSE waived through by EU competition technocrats?

Germany has given away power to the EU, ie other EU member states. It allowed France, Netherlands et al to decide if a German stock exchange can take over the LSE.

How is that power-hungry?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1