Ducati Scrambler ?

piston broke

On 2/1/2020 at 9:39 PM, SteveK said:

Never owned one but have ridden one - brilliant bike great fun to ride. Would never own one in Thailand though. Parts and servicing will be a nightmare unless you live near a Ducati dealership.

there's a few scattered about - phitsanulok / korat / pattaya / 3 in BKK / CM / KK ( this may have closed ) / Buriram ( not sure about this one )

you're right they keep a very limited amount of spares on the shelf, order from bkk or........Bologna (sp).

Luckily, to date, i've had little go wrong but guys i know have had a mare.

To OP, I've had a Scrambler for 2 years, 20,000km. Good bike but service from Ducati is terrible. I'd definitely go with the MT07. I've had no experience with Yamaha service centres but can't imagine they're worse, and bike is great.

I'm in Chiang Mai and now the service centre here is closed. If anyone knows a good place to get a Ducati serviced in CM I'd love to hear about it. And @liddelljohn if you could let us know where you order parts from it'd be great. Thanks.

• Like 1

I have Scrambler62 for over 3 years now... Great bike and handles very well. I put over 22000km on it without any issues. My schedule maintenance is with Ducati Buriram and their service is good but sometimes it takes a few days to get an appointment. You can't just show up there and expect to be serviced the same day...

2 hours ago, harrisventura said:

To OP, I've had a Scrambler for 2 years, 20,000km. Good bike but service from Ducati is terrible. I'd definitely go with the MT07. I've had no experience with Yamaha service centres but can't imagine they're worse, and bike is great.

I'm in Chiang Mai and now the service centre here is closed. If anyone knows a good place to get a Ducati serviced in CM I'd love to hear about it. And @liddelljohn if you could let us know where you order parts from it'd be great. Thanks.

Any sort of customer service in this place is terrible, it's to be expected with any product bought and owned here unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, harrisventura said:

Check with the guys on GT Rider Forum there is  a quite good independent dealer in Chiang mai who I remember was ok for fixing Ducatis  I order parts from 3 different Ducati dealers, in UK, Moto Rapido, Alfs , and also use WEMOTO ,, I get parts sent to my daughters place and she sends on to me it saves me a lot of time and money I recently ordered 10,000 bahts  worth of parts in Uk that arrived in 15 days   Pattaya Ducati quoted me 26,000 for the same parts and 2 months delivery

some dealers can post direct  ,, WEMOTO are masters at this ,, get it sent regular post to Thai post office ,,, NOT DHL, Fedex or YOU will get customs hassle , i also bring lots of parts every time i visit UK,, there are also lots of alternative parts available that are direct ly compatible with many ducatis ,,

Edited by liddelljohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, liddelljohn said:

my youngest Ducati and S4 Monster is now 19 years old its been everywhere in Thailand , Laos, Cambodia, malaysia  even to Burma ,, its currently undergoing a full restoration , powder coating , paint , plating and engine refurb .  later this year i will buy a new Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor  , i also have 2 Monster 750s  1997 and 2000 models , a 1991 750ss and a HD superglide from 1976.

i have been addicted to bike since i was 14  started out of BSA and Nortons and dire Triumphs in the 1970s

i service some friends bikes    ducati 998,  916  scrambler , monster 900  and some Benelli Tre 1130s  and TNT300

you have great taste.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, liddelljohn said:

Check with the guys on GT Rider Forum there is  a quite good independent dealer in Chiang mai who I remember was ok for fixing Ducatis  I order parts from 3 different Ducati dealers, in UK, Moto Rapido, Alfs , and also use WEMOTO ,, I get parts sent to my daughters place and she sends on to me it saves me a lot of time and money I recently ordered 10,000 bahts  worth of parts in Uk that arrived in 15 days   Pattaya Ducati quoted me 26,000 for the same parts and 2 months delivery

some dealers can post direct  ,, WEMOTO are masters at this ,, get it sent regular post to Thai post office ,,, NOT DHL, Fedex or YOU will get customs hassle , i also bring lots of parts every time i visit UK,, there are also lots of alternative parts available that are direct ly compatible with many ducatis ,,

All this faffing and the cost of running the dam thing has put me off, so no Ducati for me, thank you.

I test rode a CB650F yesterday, couldn't say a bad word about it and nationwide dealerships / parts .....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, piston broke said:

All this faffing and the cost of running the dam thing has put me off, so no Ducati for me, thank you.

I test rode a CB650F yesterday, couldn't say a bad word about it and nationwide dealerships / parts .....

The only bad word i can say about your choice is - BORING

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Any sort of customer service in this place is terrible, it's to be expected with any product bought and owned here unfortunately.

+ 1, so true. I fix my bike and I know that it's done properly.

I've had too many very sad experiences with " big bike mechanics' in the past.

A voltmeter, or an ordinary compression tester seem to be unknown to them.  

7 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Can you not afford them - lol

9 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Ducati - making over priced mediocre bikes since 1926

they did not start making bikes till after the war in 1947  Ducati Brothers started out making radios and communications equipment for military and commercial  purposes the factory was bombed flat by the allies .Even today Ducati still have a seperate company making electronic equipment  for industrial uses and garage doors 

Ducatis are certainly not mediocre ,, or overpriced , compared to competitors but every make  and manufacture has its flaws,,

For instance Honda make excellent bikes  but most Hondas ,, except VFRs have zero character and they have also had some howlers in their time ,, chocolate cams on several models ,and rubbish Regulator /rectifiers

I lie VFRs though ,,

my favourite Jap bikes that i have owned have been Suzukis  ,, for reliabilty and  design elegance especially GSXRs the only inline 4 engine with real character and soul and the SV 650 models .

Edited by liddelljohn

CB650F is a very solid bike. Easy to service, maintain and get parts for. Fast enough to be fun on Thai roads without being too bonkers. Would be top of my list if I wanted what the Thais like to call a "big bike". Obviously not as beautiful and exotic as a Ducati, but the experience of owning one would be much better, IMHO.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/honda/cb650f/2014/

Edited by SteveK